Author Topic: Cars  (Read 271878 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: Cars
« Reply #795 on: June 23, 2019, 09:23:02 pm »
Good to meet you Steve, glad you enjoyed it, we had a lovely day, luckily the rain held off till 4.15pm!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #796 on: June 24, 2019, 11:03:57 am »
I think I posted last year, that I had noticed an increase in the number of oncoming vehicles that were causing problems, headlight dazzle, I thought between new modern lighting technology and my driving less at night might be the problem, so I found this RAC survey interesting.

Drivers complain that dangerous headlight glare is getting worse, RAC study finds
Problem experience by staggering 16.1m motorists.

Half of drivers on UK roads say they are suffering more from the effect of dazzling headlights than they were just 12 months ago, research  has found.
The poll, commissioned by the RAC, claims ‘some’ or ‘most’ car headlights are too bright and 54 per cent of these saying they are dazzled more regularly now than a year ago.

Six-in-10 of those affected said they regularly get dazzled by oncoming headlights with 45 per cent complaining they get dazzled by headlights in their rear-view mirror.

A huge 70 per cent believe some lights are so bright they represent an accident risk. In fact official government data shows there are around 300 collisions every year where dazzling headlights are a factor.

Drivers were less clear on the likely causes of glare. Half blamed vehicles that sit higher on the road, such as increasingly popular sports utility vehicles (SUVs). Newer xenon 'blue' lamps were also blamed by some motorists.

The research also found that in some cases drivers themselves might be inadvertently causing glare – either by not adjusting their lights correctly, or by having badly-aligned lights.

RAC spokesperson Rod Dennis said: “The dazzling effect of another driver’s headlights isn’t just uncomfortable – in some cases it can be nothing short of dangerous, making us lose sight of the road for a short time.
"So it’s concerning to see that a greater proportion of drivers have reported problems with glare this year than last year.
“In reality, the issue of glare is a complex one and it’s not as straightforward as saying one type of lightbulb causes more of a dazzling effect than another.

"There are a range of reasons why a driver might be dazzled, from a slight misalignment of a headlight, the difference in ride height of different vehicles and even individual people’s vision. That explains why not every car headlight appears to be dazzling, with eight-in-10 drivers saying only some cause glare.

“Nonetheless, all headlights have to meet specific international standards, which motorists might be surprised to discover haven’t been updated since the 1960s and so do not take specific account of newer technologies like xenon and LED.

"And an overwhelmingly proportion of drivers – 84 per cent – now want the UK Government to act to ensure the regulations are updated to remove the possibility of glare being a result of modern technology.”    ref DP

RAC report 2018         https://media.rac.co.uk/pressreleases/motorists-claim-to-being-regularly-left-dazzled-by-modern-vehicle-headlights-2458363

Offline SteveH

« Reply #797 on: June 26, 2019, 03:54:13 pm »
THE second edition of ‘Mercedes on the Prom’ raised more than £1000 for the Welsh Air Ambulance charity.

The charity relies on donations from members of the public to help keep its helicopters flying - with each mission costing £1500 on average.

The Mercedes Benz club gathering on Llandudno Promenade on June 23 proved to be a success once more, with the number of cars on show up from 80 to more than 100.

Full article and photos    https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/17731640.llandudnos-mercedes-on-the-prom-event-raises-more-than-1000-for-welsh-air-ambulance/

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #798 on: June 28, 2019, 06:46:06 pm »
Last night I was driving to Deganwy and in my rear view mirror I saw one of the nicest cars I have ever seen.   It was a few cars behind me and looked like a McLaren and was red ( I think ) with two bold white stripes going down the bonnet and top
When I turned off the road it continued on Glan Y Mor Road towards Deganwy
Did anyone else see the car and recognise the make as I'm just curious to know what it was.       Even if I won the lottery and was able to buy it,  I wouldn't be able to get in or out of it with my bad back, but one can still dream         

Offline SteveH

« Reply #799 on: June 28, 2019, 06:59:45 pm »
When you said "two bold white stripes" I immediately thought of this car, any help.     Ford GT 40    as for getting in and out Clarkson from Top Gear had one, if you can find the clip https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jeremy+clarkson+gt40+top+gear+  I remember it being quite funny, especially when he bought one, a full tank took him 75 miles, but he lived 80 miles from the studio, stuff like that.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #800 on: June 28, 2019, 07:40:03 pm »
Thanks for posting that link and info about the Ford GT 40,  I remember seeing one in Southport many years ago.      40 inches from the floor to the top of the roof, hence its name, only suitable for the very agile or competent limbo dancers.

I don't know if it was the Ford GT 40 or not, but what impressed me was the side of it and the cockpit.   It had a very low ground clearance and actually looked like a formula one car.    My brother saw it as he was walking to the club but didn't know what make it was.  If I find out then I'll post it on here

Offline DVT

« Reply #801 on: June 28, 2019, 08:41:46 pm »
I have recently seen a Ford Mustang around here in those colours - possible?

Completely different but when my wife and I went round the Orme last Saturday we saw two Austin 7's.  We were at Brenig today and there were three of them, and not the same two we saw before, although the driver of oen did say they;d been roudn the Orme last weekend.  The ones today had Hereford Austin 7 Club badges on them.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #802 on: June 28, 2019, 10:26:05 pm »
Definitely not a Mustang DVT,    you would need a lot more money to buy the beast I saw last night but thanks very much for the suggestion

I've just looked at the Formula 1 cars again and it wasn't like those cars but more like the cars driven in the Le Mans Race.    Perhaps I'll never find out what it was but it was one super motor       $good$

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #803 on: June 29, 2019, 09:06:53 am »
I have recently seen a Ford Mustang around here in those colours - possible?

Completely different but when my wife and I went round the Orme last Saturday we saw two Austin 7's.  We were at Brenig today and there were three of them, and not the same two we saw before, although the driver of oen did say they;d been roudn the Orme last weekend.  The ones today had Hereford Austin 7 Club badges on them.

There appears to be a Mustang parked at the roadside in Craig-y-Don, near the park, which I see when going to the park with the dog.

I saw a row of classics parked up on the prom as I was driving along, but they had gone when I returned, so didn't get a chance to look more closely.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #804 on: June 29, 2019, 09:46:14 am »
I've just looked at the Formula 1 cars again and it wasn't like those cars but more like the cars driven in the Le Mans Race.    Perhaps I'll never find out what it was but it was one super motor       

When you mentioned Le Mans, I remember Lola cars, from my youth, who used to team up with various partners, for the race, they had some great looking cars, 

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en-GB&biw=1366&bih=625&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=_iIXXbjPAozFgQaW3oeoCg&q=lola+cars&oq=lola+cars&gs_l=img.1.0.0l2j0i8i30l4j0i24l4.32830.46505..50135...0.0..2.102.1624.28j1......0....1..gws-wiz-img.....0..35i39j0i67.EPbW2jkkmCA#imgrc=_

Offline Hugo

« Reply #805 on: June 29, 2019, 09:53:03 am »
They are really great cars      $good$

Thanks for posting the link Steve

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #806 on: June 29, 2019, 10:00:22 am »
I always think there's a certain irony with these top sports car manufacturers.  By the time most folk have enough money to buy and run one, they often can't get into it.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #807 on: June 29, 2019, 10:48:19 am »
I always think there's a certain irony with these top sports car manufacturers.  By the time most folk have enough money to buy and run one, they often can't get into it.

_))*   _))*

Offline SteveH

« Reply #808 on: July 05, 2019, 06:38:27 pm »
The staggering sum North Wales councils have raked in from fining motorists
The cash was raised for fining people for everything from parking on double yellows, overstaying in car parks and misusing box junctions.

Councils across North Wales have pocketed more than £1.5 million in penalty charge notices over the space of two years, Figures for Conwy were reportedly unavailable.

Figures released today show that the local authorities in Anglesey , Denbighshire , Flintshire , Gwynedd and Wrexham have made £1,641,522.91 during 2017 and 2018 through giving 50,546 penalty charge notices (PCN) to motorists.   Cont.  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/staggering-sum-north-wales-councils-16535985

Offline DVT

« Reply #809 on: July 05, 2019, 07:04:46 pm »
Should be enough money in the coffers to get all the potholes filled in then.

Although the way the local highways people work it will probably be spent on putting down more speed bumps or red lines on A-class roads.