• Management board member
Re: Cars
« Reply #705 on: June 05, 2018, 02:11:32 pm »
Three Castles Classic rally on Llandudno Promenade today

Offline DVT

« Reply #706 on: June 05, 2018, 07:50:57 pm »
Here's an interesting entry - when was the last time you saw an Austin Maxi ? !!!

This one completed the London to Mexico Rally in 1970, driven by the same lady, Bronwyn Burrell, that is driving it on this week's Three Castles.  Note the spare wheel on the roof, fixed to a pole that runs from the roof to the floor pan.  It also has the Londo0n to Mexico rally stickers on it (Car 20).

Offline Hugo

« Reply #707 on: June 06, 2018, 07:54:09 pm »
We saw these two old cars on our walk in Porthmadog today

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #708 on: June 28, 2018, 12:16:45 pm »
The electric car market is really taking off. Although it will be great for anyone who drives fewer than 80 miles per day, for those living further away battery technology still lags behind.

Oil giant BP is buying the UK's largest electric charging network, Chargemaster, for £130m.

BP runs 1,200 petrol forecourts, but said earlier this year it expected renewable energy to be the fastest-growing fuel source.
It said the number of electric vehicles in the UK is set to grow from 135,000 at present to 12 million by 2040.

The move echoes one made last year by rival Shell, which bought car charging company NewMotion.
All leading car manufacturers are moving into electric vehicle production. Volkswagen, the world's biggest carmaker, has said it will offer an electric version of all its 300 models by 2030.

"It said one of its goals was to speed up charging capability to enable chargers capable of delivering 100 miles of range in within 10 minutes.""

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44640647

Offline mull

« Reply #709 on: June 28, 2018, 06:03:34 pm »
So does this mean if I pull up behind an Electric car in the filling station I have to wait 10 minutes before I can get to the pump ?

Think it will be a while before this all takes off. Even with an electric car 10 minutes to charge up for 100 miles is a long time.

Imagine the q .

Offline DVT

« Reply #710 on: June 28, 2018, 09:07:37 pm »
It will be a very long time before electric cars take over - the infrastructure required is just too great.

I live in a road (cuk de sac) of 16 houses, yet there are over 30 vehicles.  Electric cables trailling everywhere.  People livign in terrace houses or in town centres with on-street parking have no chance.

I was talking to a chap last year who had a Vauxhall Ampera - nice car and quick, but a range of only about 50 miles on the electric.  He travelled 40 miles to work, plugged in the car, drove 40 miles home, plugged in the car at home.  Fine, but I wonder what happens if his workmates also bought similar cars - road rage at the electric socket? !!!!

True we need a replacement for fossil fuel, but there's a lot of work needed first, and I have no faith in those that are dictating the end of petrol and diesel engines.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #711 on: June 28, 2018, 11:06:32 pm »
what about solar panel charging how long before someone invents it, maybe not in my life time

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #712 on: June 29, 2018, 08:56:21 am »
In Oz you can but the kit - panel inverter and charger controller.  A complete panel on its own can be had for around £60.

We're talking a great deal about EVs at the moment, and ownership is rising very rapidly. Slaters' demise ma have slowed the uptake of the Nissan Leaf, but BMW and Ford have both produces pretty effective EVs.

What will hasten the change will be big tax increases for diesel car owners, followed by similar ones for petrol. And chargers are starting to appear everywhere.  There's a pair of points in the Bodnant food centre, for example the George, the Imperial and I suspect the Surf centre will install them shortly.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #713 on: June 29, 2018, 03:06:49 pm »
I can't imagine a £60 solar panel doing much more than trickle charge a std lead acid car battery.

I'd have thought you would be looking at this type of  thing for an electric vehicle.

https://www.bimblesolar.com/solar-electric-vehicles/solar-ev-charging-kits

Offline DVT

« Reply #714 on: June 29, 2018, 04:59:22 pm »
Going by the website below there are only three hotels in Llandudno (St George, Imperial and the Links) have charging points but I wouldn't think they would be happy if non-guests plugged in, even if they could find a parking space.

https://www.zap-map.com/live/

... and there very few others locally as you will see.

I suspect the number of electric cars on the road will soon (if not already) exceed the number of available charging points - so the AA and RAC (other recovery companies are available) could be busy as cars run out of juice!

This all seems, to me, a case of the greens and their like pressing for something without really considering how it will work.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #715 on: June 29, 2018, 05:22:30 pm »
The Imp's charge points are - apparently - public, because of the way they were financed, but the Goerge's isn't. The WA has a couple of million for those councils who wish to claim it, and that would install a fair few points, but it seems take up by Welsh councils is very poor.

I think you're right about the number of EVs exceeding the charge capacity, but now BP has bought into the game things might start to change. And EVs can also be charged from a household socket as a last resort.

I'm not sure it was the Greens as such who created the demand; air quality - or lack of it in cities - has become the biggest driver of change, now.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #716 on: June 29, 2018, 05:29:21 pm »
Two things are happening simultaneously: Solar panel efficiency is rising and battery price is failing. Here's what Toyota offer with the Prius:

[smg id=4095]

but the best solar panels deliver a lot more than they did only last year.

Offline mull

« Reply #717 on: June 29, 2018, 06:14:30 pm »
How is this being Green when the biggest power station in the UK is fuelled by Wood Chips with all the pollution they give off.

The lunatics are taking over.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #718 on: June 29, 2018, 07:33:37 pm »
It's true that some electricity is produced by less desirable means but they're capturing a lot of the pollutants, now, and the fossil-fuel stations are steadily declining in use.

This is a useful real-time readout of how the Grid is producing electricity:

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

Offline hollins

« Reply #719 on: July 07, 2018, 12:54:50 pm »
First one not technically a car I don't think but these vehicles maybe of interest. Seen recently in Switzerland.