Re: Cars
« Reply #616 on: November 01, 2016, 06:32:14 pm »
The owner has had a couple of these.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #617 on: November 27, 2016, 03:37:01 pm »
I am in the process of selling an old classic SL500 Mercedes in tip top condition, and was very surprised when it was pointed out to me, that the tyres were out of date, ( 6 year life span ?  )considering they only had approx 1000 miles since fitted at a cost of 1000 pounds ......... this was not a ploy to reduce the price, as his mechanic had done the inspection and all was agreed.

A section from a Kwik fit article I found interesting, especially as this car was mostly under cover.......

Tyre ageing is commonly identified by small cracks, known as crazing, which appear in the tyre sidewall. This is brought about when UV light oxidises the rubber causing it to dry out. While tyres contain anti-oxidising chemicals which significantly slow down the rate of ageing, this wax-like substance is only released when the tyre is in motion. Therefore, if the tyre is not used frequently or is stored away ineffectively, they will age more quickly rendering them unroadworthy when returned to use. Low mileage, older cars tend to be most at risk from premature ageing - as drivers assume the tyres are still in good condition if they have plenty of tread.

More info on dating your tyres etc.

https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/information/tyre-age

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #618 on: November 27, 2016, 04:38:53 pm »
Sounds like an expensive con Steve,  the tyres just don't last anymore.   I had a Ford Capri in the early 1970's and did 70,000 miles in it before selling it with the original tyres still in good condition.
I did rotate the tyres on a regular basis but they still had a good tread on them when I sold the car.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #619 on: November 27, 2016, 04:43:46 pm »
You should have bought one of these cars Steve, only three tyres to worry about.

I just about managed to get a photo of it when it trundled past when I was watching the Conwy Half marathon

Offline SteveH

« Reply #620 on: November 27, 2016, 05:46:53 pm »
Sounds like an expensive con Steve,  the tyres just don't last anymore.   I had a Ford Capri in the early 1970's and did 70,000 miles in it before selling it with the original tyres still in good condition.
I did rotate the tyres on a regular basis but they still had a good tread on them when I sold the car.
I dont think its a total con , the mechanic mentioned above has worked for Mercedes for over 20 years and was quite adamant about his advjce , ........although it might be different if you were on the Autoban.

Anybody else had or know of this situation.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #621 on: November 27, 2016, 06:03:07 pm »
My OH ( an avid petrolhead) says that tyres are now dated.  ^*^0
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #622 on: November 27, 2016, 07:30:44 pm »
I know this is about car tyres but I received advice that I should check caravan tyres very carefully for 'cracking' and probably change them every 5 years, regardless of wear.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #623 on: November 28, 2016, 08:00:25 pm »
We had the same thing with aircraft tyres, not a problem on fast jets as they would be changed on condition or number of landings, but on wheeled helicopters where there wasn't the same landing speeds or stresses always changed by date.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Online DVT

« Reply #624 on: November 28, 2016, 09:54:40 pm »
This may help ...

https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/information/tyre-age

... other tyre supplies are available!

Note ... if you know you are going to need new tyres it is worthwhile buying them online - even though you will probably have to go to one of the national tyre suppliers locally to have them fitted - huge savings can be made if you know which brand/type of tyres you want, but you may have to wait for a few days before you can get them fitted.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #625 on: November 29, 2016, 08:16:12 am »
I am in the process of selling an old classic SL500 Mercedes in tip top condition, and was very surprised when it was pointed out to me, that the tyres were out of date, ( 6 year life span ?  )considering they only had approx 1000 miles since fitted at a cost of 1000 pounds ......... this was not a ploy to reduce the price, as his mechanic had done the inspection and all was agreed.

Nice car! Any pics?

All true about the tyres, I have several classic cars, I go for tyres that grip very well, no point in long lasting tyres on these cars as they will perish and age long before the tread wears out! With age the rubber gets harder so the grip is not as good as new rubber. DVT''s advice about buying tyres online is spot on!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline SteveH

« Reply #626 on: November 29, 2016, 09:25:04 am »
Good to hear from ME,  yes this was my favourite car,  a dream to drive, but sadly it disappeared down the road yesterday, it had to go, it was not getting used just sitting in the garage   :(

At the moment regarding pics look at page 21 this thread  reply #309  9/8/2014  there is a small photo there, when I can I will post better pictures

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #627 on: November 29, 2016, 09:46:42 am »
Just seen it, very nice, I have 2 Mercedes cars at the moment, great cars, will put pics up later.

Offline hollins

« Reply #628 on: November 29, 2016, 10:08:04 am »
Good to hear from you ME.
I was worrying about you and Mrs ME.
Hope all is well.
Two Mercedes now...... :o
Is this in addition to the others?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #629 on: November 29, 2016, 10:59:40 am »
Hi Hollings,  all fine here thanks, sold some cars bought some others, 6 cars at the moment  lol!