Author Topic: Cars  (Read 271355 times)

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
Re: Cars
« Reply #570 on: April 28, 2016, 02:11:19 pm »
I was reading about the new Jag F-Pace in Autocar recently; looks like it may be a real winner. Shame about the name though!

Had a test drive, it's far and away the best car I've ever driven. And that includes the new Discovery Sport, Evoque, Touareg, Lexus etc. It's absolutely brilliant with a superb interior. As a result, the order is in and delivery scheduled for September.

Thanks for the photographs hollins, it really is as good as it looks.

Apparently, there have been 2,000 pre-ordered in the UK, 10,000 world-wide. We were very lucky and just fortunate to be in the right place at the right time to get a test drive. There were people waiting for a test drive, some of whom had ordered one before having a test drive! Not something that I'd be prepared to do. The dealer had test drives arranged every 30 minutes for the next 10 days.....!
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #571 on: May 02, 2016, 04:31:04 pm »
I have been going through some of my late father's old slides and it is interesting to try and date the ones with cars in them.
He loved his Mini Countryman's, he had three of them and I would be interested to know if anyone can recognise the place in the first photo?

Online SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #572 on: May 02, 2016, 05:05:48 pm »
I had a look through some classical architecture, without luck, but I enlarged the photo and noticed it is a domed building?     perhaps like our quizzes we are looking at the rear view........ good luck.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #573 on: May 02, 2016, 05:17:57 pm »
Is it the original Tate Gallery in London now named  Tate Britain?

Offline hollins

« Reply #574 on: May 02, 2016, 05:24:43 pm »
Oh, well done Hugo. It most certainly looks like it. Mum will be so pleased, she couldn't remember where it was so I said my forum friends will know!

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #575 on: May 02, 2016, 06:52:45 pm »
                      I didn't recognise the first one Hollins but I'm fairly sure the third one is taken in Dunster, near Minehead in Somerset.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #576 on: May 02, 2016, 07:18:41 pm »
Oh, well done Hugo. It most certainly looks like it. Mum will be so pleased, she couldn't remember where it was so I said my forum friends will know!

If you look at it on Google earth you can see the Dome structure that Steve was talking about.    Don't forget to give your Mum a belated birthday greeting from all of us.

Offline hollins

« Reply #577 on: May 02, 2016, 07:30:21 pm »
Thanks Gwynant. Yes, that one is the Yarn Market at Dunster.
Thanks for the birthday wishes for my mum Hugo. We had a great party!

It has been fun trying to find out where all the places are on my dad's photos.
He wrote an index for the slides but they are all out of order. Some say Portmadoc Harbour. Do you all think these maybe there?

Offline hollins

« Reply #578 on: May 02, 2016, 07:32:55 pm »
Sorry, the other one didn't appear. Try again.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #579 on: May 02, 2016, 09:28:47 pm »
the second one looks like the pub in Goathead across from the garage, where they filmed heart beat ,

Online SteveH

« Reply #580 on: May 03, 2016, 02:48:52 pm »
I was reading about the new Jag F-Pace in Autocar recently; looks like it may be a real winner. Shame about the name though!

Had a test drive, it's far and away the best car I've ever driven. And that includes the new Discovery Sport, Evoque, Touareg, Lexus etc. It's absolutely brilliant with a superb interior. As a result, the order is in and delivery scheduled for September.

Hi Bosun, Congrats on your new car,..... I thought of you when I read this article today....... &shake&

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/north-wales-worst-parking-fail-11275593

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #581 on: May 04, 2016, 08:29:12 am »
Thanks SteveH, that's all you need!

Sadly, for some people, it's nothing out of the norm and they fail to see that they've done anything wrong. I bet the driver said 'It's not my fault...!'

Is it me, or are there a larger proportion than the national average of imbecilic parkers in North Wales?   
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #582 on: May 04, 2016, 08:47:16 am »
I'm not sure.  Driving standards are abysmal, but that might be for a number of reasons, such as we tend to notice poor driving more than good driving, or because in season we have a large number of first-time visitors on the roads, or because many enjoy looking at the scenery when they should be watching the road.

But driving elsewhere doesn't seem much better. In Manchester and Liverpool, for instance, it's far more aggressive and impatient but I doubt it's any better. And driving the A5 towards the Midlands is Bad Driving 101.  But I do wonder if folk ever bother practising reversing. Not only on Mostyn Street, where some people driving Minis can't reverse into bus-sized spaces but in smaller car parks where they seem incapable of reversing into a space - and some even driving forwards into one.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #583 on: May 04, 2016, 10:39:55 am »
Ian, I wholly agree that driving in the cities is more aggressive and impatient, but as regards parking, this area does seem worse than the cities where I suspect that people are used to squeezing into parking spaces. I am regularly in the cities, (Liverpool today for example) and I don't see the comedy moments of parking that can be seen on an hourly basis in Llandudno.

Maybe it's a form of entertainment secretly laid on to amuse us?

Online SteveH

« Reply #584 on: May 19, 2016, 01:48:33 pm »
Is your Vauxhall Zafira on recall list after cars burst into flames?

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/your-vauxhall-zafira-recall-list-11356089