Author Topic: Help wanted: Computers  (Read 174984 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Help wanted: Computers
« Reply #420 on: May 30, 2016, 04:53:40 pm »
Can you set 'show full headers' in Android?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #421 on: May 31, 2016, 04:28:52 am »
Can't find any way of doing that?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #422 on: May 31, 2016, 07:32:19 am »
Can you log into the server itself at UW and do it?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #423 on: May 31, 2016, 07:42:01 am »
No idea to be honest, best thing probably is to ring UW, they are usually very helpful.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #424 on: May 31, 2016, 07:59:21 am »
If you're viewing it on a web page as opposed to using a Mail client, then there will be a setting somewhere that will allow it. I know how to do it on Macs, but not Android, I'm afraid.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #425 on: May 31, 2016, 08:12:52 am »
Thanks for the advice!  $good$

Offline hiraeth

« Reply #426 on: May 31, 2016, 10:48:07 am »
squiggle here (I need to sort my account out).

The from line in an email isn't much of a guarantee. Basically anyone can appear to be anyone else.  Viewing the message source/headers will show the path the email has taken though.

As I think Ian suggested.  If you get an email purporting  to be from PayPal and you are unsure.  Do not follow the link.  Open a browser and navigate your own way )perhaps a bookmark you have set) to the company web site. If there really is something that needs your attention, it should become apparent when you log in.

POP vs IMAP

In the first instance, which you use depends on the email server.  Some but by no means all email servers do support both protocols. I'd think any email client (eg. thunderbird, outlook, etc.) will support both.

When you do have a choice, it might be worth considering a difference between the 2.

POP: While it is possible to leave a message on the server, POP was designed with the idea that you download messages from the server onto your local email program.

IMAP:  on the other hand was designed with the idea of a central email storage.  As such, I think it is more appropriate for our typical email usages these days where we may for example be wanting to access email from both a mobile device and our desktop computer.

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #427 on: June 28, 2016, 07:55:06 am »
Microsoft have agreed to pay out to an American woman for Microsoft 10 update that was unwanted and wrecked her computer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36640464

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #428 on: June 28, 2016, 09:16:45 am »
Microsoft have agreed to pay out to an American woman for Microsoft 10 update that was unwanted and wrecked her computer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36640464
Let's hope there is a flurry of lawauits taking a few pounds off Micro$oft. It might make them consider toning down their corporate arrogance a little when trying to force their crappy software on people who don't want it.

Offline hollins

« Reply #429 on: November 20, 2016, 03:38:32 pm »
I think action man's computer problems maybe beyond help!    :o :o :o :o

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #430 on: November 20, 2016, 04:08:49 pm »
I think the problem is that the keyboard is upside down, or its on a sugar rush.....  ;)

Offline PhilMick

« Reply #431 on: November 20, 2016, 04:16:03 pm »
It's been infected by a Bertie Barrett.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #432 on: March 26, 2017, 06:22:58 am »
I have had an IPad Air 2 for a couple of years.

Yesterday, I found I was unable to receive emails although I was able send a test email to myself.

Later in the day, all the emails retained in my folders disappeared.

This morning, I am no longer able to send a test email to myself.

Can someone please recommend where I can take my device to have the problem resolved?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #433 on: March 26, 2017, 08:26:24 am »
That's an iCloud issue, Brian;  I don't think it's an iPad problem. It sounds as though you've been logged out of iCloud, which would stop you receiving, sending or seeing your emails.

Log into iCloud on the web through your browser. You should see all the lost emails still there. If that doesn't solve it get back to me in here and I'll see what else I can do.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #434 on: March 26, 2017, 09:39:26 am »
I have never used iCloud, Ian.

Nevertheless, I have gone into settings and iCloud Drive is on and if I slide across the bottom to the right to turn on Mail, I am invited to create a free @icloud.com email address to turn on iCloud Mail.