Author Topic: Help wanted: Computers  (Read 175005 times)

Online Ian

• Administrator
Help wanted: Computers
« on: November 01, 2010, 08:12:19 am »
Post tips and tricks in this topic
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Help wanted: Computers
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 08:14:15 am »
Tip No.1 - Internet Explorer is utter rubbish. Use Firefox instead.

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 08:15:18 am »
Macrium Reflect (http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp).

I'm told by Windows-owning friends that this little free prog will save you a lot of heartache. Apparently, it creates a bootable image file of your HD for those awkward moments when you pick up a Trojan, or for when the latest little irritant - a pop-up window that appears repeatedly with neither rhyme nor reason - strikes your computer.

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 08:18:35 am »
I'd also second Dave's sage comment above: on any machine, always use Firefox or Safari or Opera or - in short - anything other than Internet Explorer.

Mind you:  Firefox does have one rather amusing shortcoming: its own spell checker doesn't recognise the word 'Firefox'...

Yorkie

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 10:34:50 am »
I have been using Internet Explorer for years and years and I do not have any problems with it whatsoever.  I have tried Firefox and Safari but still prefer to stick with IE which I shall do until I have problems.     ;)

Like all other software it is constantly being updated so bugs get sorted before they even appear.  )*)&

I have found one major conflict between Microsoft Security Essentials and AVG.  They don't seem to be able to live together on the same PC.    >>>

One program I find well worth the investment is System Mechanic which keeps everything on the PC in order.   I run the whole clean up operation each week and it keeps everything running smoothly.    ;D

Offline Jas

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 09:09:42 pm »
Hi, Just returned to live here & brought my aussie PC with me, now I can't get on sound on Skype, I  have contacted my friends in Aus  & while they can see & hear me, I cant hear them tho I can see them. can anybody tell me how to rectify this problem?.  Please :rage: Jas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 09:16:56 pm »
Can you get sound if you play a music file etc on your pc?

Yorkie

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 09:21:51 pm »
Can on mine.   In fact it will play in the background whilst I am working on other things.   

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 08:49:53 am »
Jas:  you need to check three things: Skype has its own sound control options under "preferences / Audio".  Secondly, check your own computer sound settings to ensure output from skype is routed through to your speakers.  Finally, you should check the sound card settings, to make sure it's recognising skype./

Offline Jas

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 06:18:32 pm »
Thanks everybody, For the tips, I tried playing a CD  thru windows media player,  got the visuals but no sound. .  Have checked that the speakers are plugged in O K, the webcam is good , checked sound test on skype  & it shows that speakers & mic register as active. I am sure the sound settings are compat with skype as I didn't have a problem with it in Aus.  How do I check the sound card??     :-[

Yorkie

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 07:18:44 pm »
Go to CONTROL PANEL then SOUND AND AUDIO DEVICES and check all the settings, it may be something as simple as that.     ££$

Offline Jas

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 05:16:43 pm »
thanks Guys, it's all sorted now.  my friends in Aus can hear me, I can play music ¢¢##  & all the bells & whistles +}}{--  Jas

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 07:31:45 pm »
What's that about bells??

Welcome back, hope you are settling in OK.

Stan

Offline Jas

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 04:45:20 pm »
Yes I am settling  O.k , thank you Stan. The hardest part is getting used to this weather, after 22yrs in the tropics it's a bit hard, I keep telling myself it didn't bother me when I was a kid, (at least not that I remember) so I hope I will eventually be able to stick my nose out of the door, without catching cold, which is what I am suffering at the moment.   jas 

Offline Paddy

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 02:48:18 pm »
My laptop won't boot up. When I switch on the hard drive spins for a few seconds as if it's booting but then it stops.

Anyone got any suggestions please?