Author Topic: National Health Service  (Read 98331 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Four signs your child may have a respiratory infection as cases in Wales rise sharply
Public Health Wales have issued a warning over the Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) infection - cases of which have increased over the last four weeks

Surveillance shows positive samples for Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) infection in Wales have increased over the last four consecutive weeks from 1.9 per cent to 9.9 per cent.

Parents are being encouraged to look out for symptoms of severe infection in at-risk children.

They include:
A high temperature of 37.8°C or above (fever)
A dry and persistent cough
Difficulty feeding
Rapid or noisy breathing (wheezing).

“RSV is a common respiratory illness which is usually picked up by children during the winter season, and causes very few problems to the majority of children. However, very young babies, particularly those born prematurely, and children with heart or lung conditions, can be seriously affected and it’s important that parents are aware of the actions to take.

more https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/four-signs-your-child-respiratory-21128243

Offline SteveH

Re: National Health Service
« Reply #271 on: July 30, 2021, 09:43:53 am »
Appeal for public to use 999 responsibly as calls hit New Year's Eve levels every day

There had been more than 100,000 calls to the emergency line every day for over a month, placing significant pressure on control rooms.

Recent unnecessary calls to police on 999 include from a man who was being followed home by a cat, a man asking to speak to Sting, the lead singer of The Police, about a broken vinyl and a woman asking when her next train would be.

Abuse of the service can result in criminal action.

https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19479732.appeal-public-use-999-responsibly-calls-hit-new-years-eve-levels-every-day/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #272 on: August 11, 2021, 02:48:31 pm »
A&E queues mean Wales' ambulances 'can't take 999 calls'

As lockdown restrictions have eased ambulance staff are having the busiest summer of their lives.

But the pressure on hospitals to find free beds can mean long waits outside for the paramedic crews until their patients can be admitted.

Some say they are "broken" after spending so much time queuing outside A&Es - unable to respond to new calls.

BBC Wales' health correspondent Owain Clarke has been given special access to crews, and 999 call managers.

BBC report cont...............   https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-58161914

Offline SteveH

« Reply #273 on: August 27, 2021, 02:17:45 pm »
A GP surgery has said only "essential blood tests" will be booked for the foreseeable future.   (Lucky me, I had mine yesterday)

This comes after the Welsh Government confirmed there is a supply issue when it comes to products used for blood collection.

All four UK nations are affected.

Mostyn House Medical Practice, Llandudno, posted on Facebook: "We have been informed by the Welsh Government there is a UK wide shortage of blood bottles due to a problem with the manufacturer.

"Only essential blood tests will be booked for the foreseeable future. Please note if you have a blood test already booked it is unlikely to be affected but we will contact you if there is a problem.

cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19542003.blood-test-tube-shortage-temporary-expected-last-three-months/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #274 on: August 31, 2021, 10:12:56 am »
This reminds us of the additional strain/costs on medical facilities in holiday areas, a bit like the emergency services nobody, seems to check ahead before their visit, and turning up on holiday without your prescription medications, or insufficient supplies is ..........

Strains on the NHS and medical services are real and with increased tourism, there are worries that this could become tighter as we head into the winter months.

People are facing long waiting times for an ambulance and pressures on A&E are increasing. The winter period is also looking particularly bleak as the public is being urged to play their part to help ease the burden.

Suggestions have been made that holiday parks could be affiliated with their own GP surgery, which could prevent visitors attending already stretched practises and hospital departments in North Wales.

cont https://www.leaderlive.co.uk/news/19544960.increase-staycations-significant-pressures-emergency-services---answer/?ref=rss&IYA-reg=a05105fc-304d-4c50-9807-edab51f779a4

Offline SteveH

« Reply #275 on: September 01, 2021, 12:36:47 pm »
An expensive but "game-changing" anti-cholesterol drug could soon be offered to hundreds of thousands of people in England and Wales on the NHS.

NHS England says inclisiran, given as a twice-a-year injection, could save about 30,000 lives within a decade.

It normally costs nearly £2,000 per dose but Novartis, which makes it, has agreed an undisclosed discount.

It can lower bad fat in the blood when other cheaper drugs, like statins, have not done enough, says draft advice.

The health watchdog NICE is recommending it as an option for people who have already had a stroke or heart attack and are not responding to other cholesterol-lowering treatments.

Experts hope it will help to cut their risk of further life-threatening cardiovascular events.

Although there is no long-term proof of this yet from studies, they believe it is worth recommending based on existing evidence.

cont  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58393866

Offline SteveH

« Reply #276 on: September 10, 2021, 09:57:03 am »
MORE students will be able to undertake their entire training in North Wales as plans push ahead to establish a medical school.

The North Wales Chronicle reported earlier this year that the medical school could be ready by 2025.

Eluned Morgan, Wales' Health Minister, said: “I want to give even more students the opportunity to study while embedded in our North Wales communities because we are committed to delivering care as close to people’s homes as possible.

We know there are challenges to recruiting staff to North Wales, which is why we want to nurture medical students educated here and encourage them to stay, first through the extremely successful C21 North Wales Programme, and longer term, through a North Wales medical school.

“The North Wales Medical School Task and Finish Group have reported back to me and I will be establishing a Programme Board to implement their recommendations and to work to establish an independent north Wales medical school.”

The C21 North Wales programme, which is delivered in partnership by Bangor and Cardiff Universities, allows students to study for all of their medical degree in North Wales, with a greater focus on community medicine and a wide range of placements including a full year at a GP surgery.

This year the programme will be expanded from 20 students to 25 and to 40 students in next year’s intake.

cont  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19571868.investment-students-next-step-north-wales-medical-school/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #277 on: September 16, 2021, 10:15:54 am »
Nurses reject 3% pay offer for NHS Wales staff as ballot for strike action edges closer
A whopping 93.9% of RCN Wales members who voted said the pay award from the Welsh Government was 'unacceptable'

cont  https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/health/nurses-reject-3-pay-offer-21574310?IYA-reg=a05105fc-304d-4c50-9807-edab51f779a4

Offline SteveH

« Reply #278 on: September 21, 2021, 02:29:23 pm »
PROPOSALS to build a £67.7 million replacement for the Ablett mental health unit at Glan Clwyd Hospital are being discussed this week.

Members of the Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board (BCUHB) will be asked on September 23 to approve the Business Case - for the Adult and Older Person’s Mental Health Unit - ahead of submission to Welsh Government.

The facility, which aims to improve the quality of patient care, will not only replace the existing Ablett Unit at the Bodelwddan based hospital but the Older People’s Mental Health inpatient facility at Bryn Hesketh in Colwyn Bay.

cont  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19593986.case-new-67m-adult-older-persons-mental-health-unit-glan-clwyd-hospital-go-front-board/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #279 on: September 27, 2021, 09:57:48 am »
The DP and the Pioneer have three paramedic stories this morning..........

North Wales paramedic on the 'tidal wave' of pressure facing ambulance crews
Dermot O'Leary said people unable to get through to GP surgeries were calling them instead
cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/north-wales-paramedic-tidal-wave-21683433

IT is soul destroying turning up late to patients in need, says a deflated and exhausted paramedic, but demand is significantly increasing.
She says she is seeing unprecedented demand and fears for the public and the future as she pleads with people to play their part.

She told the Leader: “The public can save the NHS from this crisis we are in. Back in the pandemic we were only going to life threatening and urgent emergencies, we weren’t going to people who couldn’t get in touch with their GP or minor injuries.
cont  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19602983.exhausted-paramedic-makes-heart-breaking-plea-winter-months/

AMBULANCE pressures are real, they are now, and unless action is taken, there are dark days in the pipeline.
After being afforded the privilege of seeing these unsung heroes right from the front seat of a paramedic car, blue lights blaring, I fully understand the concerns.

I joined Senior paramedic Sally Bottomley at 7am as she began a new day on the frontline of medical care

My first thought was yet again, TV hasn’t been very truthful. As we raced to the call, I was struck but how many people failed to move out of the way, despite time being of the essence.

All calls that day were graded as amber, serious but not life-threatening, but I couldn’t stop thinking just how many didn’t need an ambulance – which leaves people waiting hours, with hundreds of people descending on A&E.

cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19603020.spent-day-paramedic-pressures-experienced/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #280 on: September 28, 2021, 03:05:06 pm »
A POLITICIAN believes the Welsh Government needs to urgently update their guidance on the resumption of face-to-face GP appointments.

Janet Finch-Saunders, MS for Aberconwy, has written to 14 practices in the area to ask how she can assist with the demands on Primary Care providers.

In a Welsh Conservative debate on the strain felt by the Welsh Ambulance Service NHS Trust last week, Mrs Finch-Saunders made clear that a compounding factor locally was the inability for some patients to access face-to-face GP appointments. Her intervention comes as the Community Health Council (CHC) told BBC News Wales that many patients have been left waiting for up to an hour on the phone to speak to someone.

cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19609970.ms-calls-return-face-to-face-gp-appointments/

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #281 on: September 28, 2021, 04:30:01 pm »
Well done  Janet Finch Saunders for speaking out about the lack of face to face GP appointments.    I've heard a lot of people saying that as there is such a lack of seeing the GP's face to face what exactly are the GP's doing?
I'm fortunate that I was able to see a GP in January 2020 but wouldn't fancy my chances of seeing one now.

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #282 on: September 28, 2021, 05:59:35 pm »
We are very lucky to have such a proactive AM to bring to light the failing of our NHS in Wales.
She was most helpful in getting my surgery when NHS management were doing their best to stop anything that would impinge on their bottom line.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #283 on: September 28, 2021, 06:29:55 pm »
I'm pleased that she was able to help you Spotty Dog and hope that you have recovered from your surgery.     I just wish that all the AM's and MP's were as pro active as her
I had to push my GP but thankfully he referred me immediately to Glan Clwyd Hospital which I appreciated

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #284 on: September 28, 2021, 06:54:31 pm »
We cannot grumble at the treatment my OH has had since last October. He had kidney failure then and to cut a long story short his last stay in hospital involved Sepsis. We are contacted regularly by his GP and he is monitored regularly.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.