Author Topic: CCBC costs and cutting  (Read 150347 times)

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
Re: CCBC costs and cutting
« Reply #210 on: January 23, 2017, 10:34:39 pm »
For once I am full agreement with Janet Finch Saunders; of course Dilwyn Roberts should resign. However, unfortunately it's an actual fact of life, not an alternative fact, that people like Councillor Roberts have a huge belief of their own self importance and that what is decently required of other people is not required of them. He won't resign.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #211 on: January 24, 2017, 09:20:09 am »
It appears Councillor Dilwyn Roberts leader of Conwy County Borough Council conveniently forgot to pay his Council Tax, which has been revealed by information obtained by The Freedom of Information Act.

Aberconwy Assembly Member Janet Finch Saunders has called for Cllr Roberts to consider his position and said "As leader of Conwy County Borough Council and someone who earns over double the average income for the area, it beggars belief that it took a court summons to make him cough up his legal dues".
One rule for them...another rule for us...  &shake&

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #212 on: January 24, 2017, 10:55:29 am »
You would expect him to be highly embarrassed by receiving the initial reminder that he had not paid! How could he possibly wait to such a late stage of nonpayment? Makes me wonder what else he may have overlooked in his job?  &shake&
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #213 on: January 24, 2017, 11:02:10 am »

[/quote]
One rule for them...another rule for us...  &shake&
[/quote]

It's a mute point, but, the 'rules' are the same, that's why Roberts has recieved a court summons. There are no rules in respect of acting decently, and in this case, any self-respecting honourable person would have resigned their post immediately, and if they wished to, as is their right, stand for re-election at the next election. However, this breed of person does not accept the requirement for doing the decent thing and acting honourably as his position demands, he believes himself to be above that requirement. Whilst there are good councillors, (such as Sue Shotter who works tirelessly for her ward) the position appears to attract dreadful bumptious characters full of self-importance and a massive belief in both their own self importance and their opinion of what's right. Once elected, their main priority is their own self advancement.

CCBC is not alone in this, it's a general phenomenon that puts many decent people from becoming involved because even if elected, you cannot fight the established, virtually resident, sitting morons.   

Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #214 on: January 24, 2017, 11:16:06 am »
Sorry the link I posted yesterday was wrong, .....
New link    http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/conwy-council-tax-dilwyn-roberts-12493676

16 comments now, most of them negative

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #215 on: January 30, 2017, 03:28:47 pm »
I  astonished to hear that 'From Our Own Correspondent' on Radio 4 this week had a report, from of all places, Conwy, about the council pushing the general waste collections back. Dave Cowans was quoted, as was the recycling supervisor, as well as a couple of complaining residents. The upshot of it all was that 75% of the general waste of those complaining could have been recycled in the weekly collections.

It was an interesting piece. How it fits in with reports from far flung parts of the globe, which is the reason for the programme, I've no idea.... except - perhaps to the BBC in London, Conwy is a far flung part of the globe.   

Offline SteveH

« Reply #216 on: February 05, 2017, 12:11:15 pm »
It appears Councillor Dilwyn Roberts leader of Conwy County Borough Council conveniently forgot to pay his Council Tax, which has been revealed by information obtained by The Freedom of Information Act. 
Not such an isolated occurrence.......

Hundreds of council tax arrears notices sent to councillors.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-38846595

Offline SteveH

« Reply #217 on: February 16, 2017, 10:34:41 am »
Sorry not sure which thread to put this article.........any suggestions?

The big five 'game changers' that could transform the economy of Conwy.
Major indoor attraction, winter festival and university campus among ideas on the table.
A major indoor tourism attraction, giant winter show, business units and a university campus are all parts of a 10 year strategy to transform the economy of Conwy county.

Conwy council has published an Economic Growth Strategy to lay out the plans for boosting jobs and wages over the next decade.

This includes five key economic ambitions which range from increasing winter visitor numbers to targeting city firms to relocate head offices to the county.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/big-five-game-changers-could-12605191

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #218 on: February 16, 2017, 11:45:39 am »
Can I just say how much I despise the Daily Post website these days? It's practically impossible to read an article, with all the videos, adverts, surveys on the page.  &shake&

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #219 on: February 16, 2017, 12:20:11 pm »
Can I just say how much I despise the Daily Post website these days? It's practically impossible to read an article, with all the videos, adverts, surveys on the page.  &shake&

Totally agree, at first I thought that it was my computer playing up. The Daily Post website is a complete buggers-muddle; I now ignore it.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #220 on: February 16, 2017, 12:35:36 pm »
Totally agree, at first I thought that it was my computer playing up. The Daily Post website is a complete buggers-muddle; I now ignore it.

Can be a pain, but I still find it good for daily news and info, I clicked on the above link again and only got one advert and one video?

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #221 on: February 20, 2017, 09:11:05 am »
Sorry to hear you're not happy with the site - the websites are the same across Trinity Mirror - Liverpool Echo, Wales Online all have the same format.
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #222 on: February 24, 2017, 06:11:17 pm »
Council tax across North Wales to rise AGAIN next year

Residents of Conwy are facing the biggest increase as all local authorities plan to put up the rate.
Residents of Conwy could face a 4.6% hike in their bills from April.
The increase would see Band D households pay an extra £48.93 on top of the £1,063.76 they already pay.
Cllr Goronwy Edwards, cabinet member for finance and resources, said the council’s budgetary response to “challenging financial constraints” was fair.

It’s also reasonable and appropriate given the service pressures that we face and the grant afforded to Conwy by Welsh Government,” added Cllr Edwards.
The recommendations of the 2017/18 budget report will be discussed during a full council meeting on March 2.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/council-tax-across-north-wales-12654713

Offline SteveH

Re: CCBC ..... New Leader
« Reply #223 on: May 18, 2017, 12:22:55 pm »
Gareth Jones elected!

In a very narrow vote, Gareth Jones of Plaid Cymru has been elected as the leader of Conwy Council.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/live-conwy-council-decide-leader-13052814

Offline bigbadhenry

« Reply #224 on: May 19, 2017, 10:56:43 am »
I was surprised to to hear he was 78 years old. Don't think I'd want or be up to the job if I reach 78 years >>>