Author Topic: CCBC costs and cutting  (Read 150172 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: CCBC costs and cutting
« Reply #330 on: September 03, 2019, 09:51:22 am »
Is this the slow build up to the next rates hike?   

Conwy Council facing £12.5m budget shortfall - this is why.

Conwy Council is facing a budget shortfall for the next financial year of £12.5m.

If the authority was to cover this through council tax alone, it would have to hike rates by 23%, councillors were warned at a meeting of Conwy 's finance scrutiny committee today.

A report to members of the committee outlined the situation as the council looks to set a balanced budget next March for the financial year of 2020/21.

Schools and social services made up the bulk of the council's spending, accounting for 30% and 28.3% of the authority's £220,001,000 budget.
Of the £12,494,000 savings needed, all but £1,768,000 arose as a result of outside pressures such as UK and Welsh Government policy.
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/conwy-council-facing-125m-budget-16856180

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #331 on: September 03, 2019, 04:52:52 pm »
I watched that meeting on the CCBC webcast site & the actual amount of increase in Council Tax that was talked about was 7% & will now go to Scrutiny & Cabinet to be discussed further.
Cllr Anne McCaffrey proposed the Council consult residents in January for their feedback regarding options, which I thought an excellent idea. Hopefully people will respond instead of continually moaning about the increases & doing nothing about it. One avenue I really think that needs looking at is all these holiday cottages that aren't paying Council Tax. The Government & Council gave a helping hand to small businesses by zero rating there Council Tax to help them get established. Then the loophole that formed was that greedy landlords flipped their cottages to 'a small business' resulting in not having to pay Council Tax. Nearly half the cottages in Conwy Town alone are Holiday lets, so can you imagine the loss of revenue to the Council, yet they have let it happen. They need to plug this loophole to include only retail businesses & not residential, it's not rocket science. Some of these cottages in Conwy are charging over £1,000 a week at peak times, they can surely afford to pay their taxes like the rest of us. &shake&

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #332 on: September 03, 2019, 05:24:42 pm »
That seems very sensible, Meleri.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #333 on: September 03, 2019, 05:47:59 pm »
I agree.  However, it's worth remembering that CCBC bought this on itself. CCBC was launched as a small authority, with the suggestion that they would work with other authorities and share resources, such as school advisors, and so on. Of course, the greedy and power hungry in CCBC couldn't share with anyone;  they wanted to do it all themselves, so they ended up duplicating posts in neighbouring authorities and providing jobs for the boys.

If we take just one department - Education - what is essential to remember, here, is that the number of schools didn't suddenly change; it remained the same that had required - previously - only two chief advisors.  CCBC decided they wanted their own chief advisor, and advisors - of course - for each speciality. So whereas for forty schools, say,  you previously had two chief advisors now you had three - and guess who was paying? Same applied across the board for all the council departments - social services, education, fire, waste, leisure, libraries and children and young people. 

The councillors, for no reason other than to feed their own sense of self-importance - needlessly duplicated positions that already existed and the cost was borne by us - the ratepayers.   

Frankly, what they did verged on the criminal and the dire straits in which they now find themselves can be traced back directly to their hubris.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #334 on: September 03, 2019, 06:53:28 pm »
And, of course, high up the agenda for saving money was councillors pay, allowances and expenses. No, thought not.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #335 on: September 03, 2019, 08:57:26 pm »
Having sat through a few meetings in Conwy,What a shambles, I bet the tax rise will be more than the 9% this year lets see if them two councilor abstain ( in tears ) again.the temple of waste 😡

Offline Helig

• Management board member
« Reply #336 on: September 04, 2019, 09:47:52 am »
I support Meleri in that holiday lets should not be let off Council Tax. In some areas where local villages etc have been taken over by these lets, the councils are charging more Council Tax than just the basic amount. They are rated at 2x the basic charge, in some places more than that. I heard that some councils have talked about charging even more. They destroy communities and price local people out of the property market. It isn't right they don't contribute to the costs in the local area.

Do some councilors, or their families, in CBBC own holiday lets I wonder?

Helig.

Offline SteveH

Re: CCBC ...................Conwy Replacement Local Development Plan
« Reply #337 on: September 07, 2019, 11:49:55 am »
ANOTHER meeting to discuss the proposed Llanrhos housing plan is taking place.

In August, the Pioneer reported that residents had received letters in connection with Conwy Replacement Local Development Plan 2018-2033 preferred strategy consultation. The site will be phased in from 2024 - 2031.

As well as about 250 homes, the growth plan for Llanrhos includes 1 hectare of B1 (land for offices) to promote employment clusters, a new primary school, allotments, recreation spaces and improved public transport.

Another drop in session- for the public to voice their views - has now been organised for Tuesday, September 10 between 5pm and 8pm at Llanrhos Old School.

Cllr Mike Priestly, who looks after Marl ward, said: "It is not my ward but some residents in the Marl ward had voice their concerns and this is an opportunity for residents in Deganwy/in Marl Ward to get involved.

"The site is a green wedge. I think what we will end up seeing is having housing all the way Llandudno."

A summary of the preferred strategy also shows growth proposals for Llanfairfechan involving about 400 new homes, and a new primary school; Old Colwyn will see 450 new homes under the growth plan, as well as new recreational spaces and proposals for Llanrwst will involve 200 new homes.

Llandudno Town Centre will be protected and improved. Due to changes in the way people shop, there won’t be any more growth of retail areas.

Conwy will have limited housing and employment growth due to its environmental and historic status.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #338 on: September 07, 2019, 12:21:37 pm »
I can remember looking down from the Gt Orme years ago past the north western nothing right up Conwy rd, all built up now shops/ housing , these people that are shouting Where did their houses come from 🤔 The bodies should work together having enough schools doctors etc even get Llandudno hospital back to what it was, oh and have the housing for young locals not silly prices, people selling houses away for big bucks and then comming here pricing the locals out.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #339 on: September 07, 2019, 04:26:45 pm »
" The bodies should work together having enough schools doctors etc even get Llandudno hospital back to what it was"

Could not agree more Norman, and Llandudno hospital, that needs to be sorted now, rather than later.

"housing for young locals, not silly prices, people from away, selling houses for big bucks, and then coming here pricing the locals out."

If you are talking about Llandudno,  my opinion, is the majority of homes will and do, change hands between, retirees, there is good news and bad with this, the bad, house prices will stay high, the good, ...employment... a lot like myself rely on the younger generation for their skills, I do not think there is a local trades person or shop, I have not used, in 2014, when I returned to the area, I needed them all, and after our recent move, we are starting to call them again, hopefully for the last time.

Reading the Pioneer earlier I noticed a headline....."excellent for first time buyer"  but the article started with "THIS is a well presented mid terrace house which would make an excellent for first time buyers or family home and would also be a great buy to let investment."

Looking at the property, it looks ideal,
The property in Old Colwyn is fitted with gas central heating and upvc double glazing.
Price: offers over £125,000                                  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/17887784.great-buy-let-investment-old-colwyn/

For more information contact Dafydd Hardy, 16 Trinity Square, Llandudno, tel: 01492 871551, email: post@dafyddhardy.co.uk, or visit dafyddhardy.co.uk.

So hopefully some young person has his/her ducks in a row, and can win the race.             *cycle*

Offline SteveH

« Reply #340 on: September 12, 2019, 06:33:56 pm »
Conwy county council will not be bringing back outside enforcement officers to replace controversial company Kingdom.

Now a task and finish group of councillors given the job of looking into what to replace the service with has completed its work.

LOOK OUT, BEWARE YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.        $hands$

"The group has recommended the council works with Keep Wales Tidy to educate and encourage better behavior as a way of cutting down on littering and dog fouling."

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/kingdom-enforcement-squad-replacement-ruled-16910016

Offline SteveH

« Reply #341 on: September 20, 2019, 09:36:20 am »
Fears have been raised that residents of in Conwy could be hit with double taxation as the authority looks to save money.  ref Pioneer

Conwy County Borough Council could get smaller town and community councils to take up more responsibilities as it tries to deal with its cash crisis.

Cont.....   https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/17915768.double-taxation-warning-services-conwy/

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #342 on: September 20, 2019, 10:21:47 am »
This stood out:

The report used the example of the Bala area, where community councils work together to commission services such as grass cutting...

In other words, exactly what was suggested the County councils should have done when they were originally formed. CCBC is in this mess because of its own absurd empire building mentality.  Why has CCBC never suggested sharing social services, education and environment services with two or three larger surrounding County councils?  They really are disingenuous...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #343 on: October 24, 2019, 03:46:55 pm »
Conwy Council facing £2m social services overspend
"This is a very distressing picture for our social care budget in Conwy, in particular our looked after children"

A couple of quotes from the article stand out..

"One client cost the authority £274,000 for a year so they could be provided with accommodation, health care and education"

"“The overspend is a legacy from the previous financial year coupled with current growth, with almost a million pounds shared across six clients."

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/conwy-council-facing-2m-social-17140871

Offline SteveH

« Reply #344 on: November 12, 2019, 02:23:38 pm »
Councillors in Conwy have told of their frustration over plans to give them another pay rise.

The Independent Remuneration Panel for Wales (IRPW) has said councillors should get a pay rise of £350 a year, which would mean their annual salary would  increase to £14,218.

A report is produced each year by the IRPW recommending what councillors should be paid, with members given an extra £200 last year.
But the plans have been slammed by some councillors who said they felt it was wrong that they get a pay hike each year.
Cllr Aaron Wynne, who represents Llanrwst, says he will refuse the proposed increase.
He said:  “Why should we enjoy a pay–rise when the rest of the public sector has a pay-cap?

“Since joining the council in 2017 I have refused the pay increase for councillors, except for this year, when I accepted the payrise in order to donate it to Llanrwst United Football Club, after they suffered extensive damage from flooding.”

The leader of Plaid Cymru on Conwy Council, Cllr Wyn Jones, said: “In such a time when local authorities across Wales are having to make significant cuts to their budgets, and when council tax increases have never been higher, how can we justify a pay–rise for councillors?“In a meeting of the council early this year, councillors called on the Welsh government to determine the levels of pay for councillors at the start of an electoral term, rather than annually which only adds costs to the taxpayer.” The cash-strapped council has been struggling with its finances and this year levied an inflation busting 9.6% council tax rise.And the council’s deputy leader, Goronwy Edwards, said: “It’s that time of year again and I dare say that with Conwy facing challenging  budgets pressures some people may question should members be receiving an increase? “But being aware of the additional expectations that are being asked of members it’s probably that it’s only fair that they should receive an increase in-line with information, which is also in line with public sector employees . As for myself as a cabinet member there is no increase proposed and as deputy leader of the council I will again,  not be taking up the additional payment for that role , which is a saving of over £4,000 to the council.”           ref Pioneer