Author Topic: CCBC costs and cutting  (Read 150346 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: CCBC Spending Cutbacks
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2011, 08:10:46 pm »
I still want to know what happened to the stage area that was promised for Happy Valley in the redevelopment plans:

[smg id=41]

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2011, 08:02:28 am »
From that article, it sounds to me as though they hadn't even obtained lottery funding. Having applied successfully for a grant in excess of £100 000 from the lottery fund, I can confirm that you need all the architectural  plans, planning permissions and rough costings well in place before you even consider approaching them. I also suspect they would have experienced some difficulty in meeting the criteria for the grant.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2011, 05:13:01 pm »
The stage area became the almost unused children’s play area, after they had so much trouble stabilising the slope which supports the side wall of the underground water reservoir which is underneath the putting green. I’ve often wondered if the Council were paid for the car parking places (54) they removed in the process. .
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline MrFalafel

« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2011, 02:21:05 pm »
12,000 public sector job cuts in North Wales in the next few years. That no doubt means a few thousand for Conwy. That's gonna hurt.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2011/01/05/12-000-jobs-could-be-lost-in-north-wales-55578-27934121/

Yorkie

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2011, 06:33:03 pm »
Don't believe everything you read in the newspapers, after all sensationalism is the name of their game!     ¢¢##

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2011, 05:49:11 pm »
The once lovely display of bedding pants in Happy Valley has been axed - how it used to look:

Happy Valley by davidrobertsphotography, on Flickr

All the flower beds have been planted out with shrubs now - still, visitors who enjoyed the flowers can always go to another seaside resort, can't they...

Offline Blongb

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2011, 12:23:28 am »
Happy Valley has been cursed ever since CCBC got the Heritage Lottery Grant, allegedly to return the Gardens to there Victorian Splendour  ))*

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2011, 12:43:59 am »
BlongB !!!
I was only saying to Dave R today that I was wondering where you had got to...... he was guessing 'holiday'
But, its nice to see you back!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Blongb

« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2011, 12:55:39 am »
You’ve got that one right, that rotten wife of mine dragged me off kicking and screaming for a fortnights cruising round the Caribbean. It was hell. I couldn't get a decent WIFI connection anywhere and spent my whole holiday wondering what I was missing on the Forum

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2011, 03:37:24 pm »
Oh you poor thing  _))*

There were gardeners beavering away in the Happy Valley one day last week, and it looked alot tidier than last time I went up there
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Blongb

« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2011, 04:04:26 pm »
Got to question your description Nemesis as I think vegetation clearers would be far more accurate. Those poor unsupervised well meaning souls have done so much damage to what were beautiful gardens, that it breaks my heart every time I go up there. The complete destruction of the Laburnum Arch, the destruction of the Monkey Puzzle Tree, the destruction of the Rose Arbour, the destruction of the Three Coloured Laburnum Tree, the destruction of the Tree given to Llandudno by Queen Carmen Sylva that was only supposed to flower on Christmas Day, the list goes on and on. In all honesty I don't think the destruction will stop until it is changed from a "Garden" into open Parkland

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2011, 01:19:32 pm »
Know exactly what you mean, can I add to the list The arbutus (strawberry tree). That seemed to have vanished.
No I meant that the mouldering heaps of dead leaves and general rubbish had been cleared. My OH and I went up a few weeks ago and everywhere was covered in dead leaves and debris. It was a disgrace.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2011, 01:31:50 pm »
Manchester have revealed the detail of where £110m of cuts will be made.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-12389726

You can see that ALL public toilets, some swimming pools, leisure centres and libraries will be closing.

Is this the model for other councils?    For CCBC this  could means that Venue Cymru, and even the NEW swimming pool could come under the spotlight.

No more public loos to close here is there?

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2011, 02:00:22 pm »
The Councils are obviously cutting the services they think will make the public squeal the most, so they can blame central Govt, whilst at the same time ensuring their own comfy jobs are kept.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2011, 03:09:06 pm »
The Councils are obviously cutting the services they think will make the public squeal the most, so they can blame central Govt,

That's right, and it's a strategy they've used many times in the past.  Unfortunately for the councillors, their reputations in general are barely above those of bankers and far below those of MPs, whose own are hardly of the highest.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.