Author Topic: CCBC costs and cutting  (Read 150501 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: CCBC costs and cutting
« Reply #285 on: March 14, 2019, 04:17:28 pm »
CCBC are conducting a "Garden Waste Collection Consultation" & are asking residents of the County to tell them what they think about charging for collecting garden waste.
Only 27% of Conwy budget comes from Council Tax, 54% from Welsh Government & a small amount comes from business rates & charges.
The funding from Welsh Government for 2019/20 is not enough to meet the pressure facing our schools & Social Services. This means there is a budget shortfall of £15.2 million & the need to make savings.
The garden waste collection is currently costing £620,000 a year & this is not longer affordable & they are considering either stopping the service or charging to cover some or all of the costs.
Gwynedd, Denbighshire & Flintshire are already charging for this service.

What do member of the Forum think of this & will you be contacting CCBC regarding this consultation?
Is this service contracted out ? I seem to recall seeing the men in Biffa livery a few years ago, seems expensive considering the waste is sold ? for recycling, to be used to make bio fuel and compost.

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #286 on: March 14, 2019, 04:35:29 pm »
Yes Steve it is contracted out & charges are expected to rise when it goes out to tender again.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #287 on: March 15, 2019, 12:32:33 pm »
CCBC seem to be following our neighbors..............Attention all fly tippers  :(

Cost of bulky household waste collections to double for a single item
Authority says change is not aimed at increasing revenue but ensuring the costs of collections are covered.

The cost of bulky household waste collections will more than double for a single item in Denbighshire.
From April 1, the existing £5 per item charge will be lowered to £3 per item but a new administration fee of £8 will be added.
It means residents who want just one item collecting by the local authority will pay £11 - £6 more.
However a collection of the maximum of five items will cost £23 instead of the existing £25 fee.

Cont   https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/cost-bulky-household-waste-collections-15972524 :(

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #288 on: March 15, 2019, 02:43:25 pm »
I think that the CCBC  offer you the collection of one bulky household item free per year and we took advantage of that when they collected an old mattress from our house

Offline SteveH

« Reply #289 on: March 18, 2019, 10:36:20 am »
Pay for garden waste collection or else is the message residents are getting from a Conwy council consultation.

Conwy County Borough Council (CCBC) have opened a public consultation asking residents for their views on the potential charge for garden waste collection.

The garden waste recycling collection service currently costs £620,000 a year and CCBC are expecting this cost to rise next time the service is tendered.

A council spokesperson, in a statement, said: “This is no longer affordable and we are considering either stopping the service or charging to cover some or all of the costs.”
Other councils in the area including Gwynedd, Denbighshire and Flintshire already charge for the collection of garden waste.

The consultation is available on the CCBC website and in public libraries now. The council will also be distributing a limited number of paper copies to randomly selected households.

But residents have said the consultation is "flawed" and CCBC have already made up their mind on what they are going to do.
The only two options in the consultation survey are to pay for the garden waste collection or not have it at all.

Robert Lomas, a Conwy county resident, said: "So it is obvious that continuing the service as it currently is, is not an option.

"The information given details the cost of operating the current service but gives no details of the income generated by selling on the compost produced.

"What is the point of having a consultation when the pre-decided options are pay up or else.

"This is autocracy not democracy and if the purpose of the consultation is to be considered genuine then it should be re-run with a genuine range of options available to the public including maintaining the service in its current format."

Debbie Wareham, another Conwy county resident, added: "The survey on the CCBC website is flawed.
"Question 2 says: would you prefer the garden waste service to be scrapped? or would you prefer to keep it and be charged?
"Then it says select the first or second option. There is no option for saying keep existing service without charge, hence that is not an acceptable survey."

The closing date for residents to give their views is April 5 with a decision to be made on the future of the service soon after.
ref Pioneer

Offline Hugo

« Reply #290 on: March 18, 2019, 12:02:29 pm »
I've no strong feelings on this either way but I do have lots of green bags when the binman calls so I have been grateful for the free service provided so far.    I presume that if they charge householders for collection of the garden waste then anyone calling at the Mochdre waste unit will also be charged for the green waste.
One thing I read years ago seems absurd now and I never found out if it was true or not,    What I read was that the CCBC collected garden waste free but they did not compost it themselves and actually paid someone to take the garden waste away.
Surely that can't be true, but then after all it is the CCBC

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #291 on: March 18, 2019, 09:34:25 pm »
we have a green bin for garden waste and have been paying a charge of £36 a year for collection of same for the last two years, the bin is emptied every two weeks   from February untill November . It saves me having to bag it all and take it to the tip were i may have to que up for a half hour or more, It's a choice of pay it or tip your own. No contest for me

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #292 on: March 18, 2019, 09:37:33 pm »
I see that CCBC are giving us two choices, which is effectively no choice.
Either pay us for collecting the green waste, or we stop the service altogether.
So, immediately after increasing the Council Tax by an illegal amount, they then cut services even further.  Shocking.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #293 on: March 18, 2019, 09:45:22 pm »
That was our choice pay or take your own. and they say blackmail is ilegal ?

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #294 on: March 18, 2019, 10:08:28 pm »
Isn't it great one of the councilors that Will vote this through lives on Llys helig, and where do some of them dump their garden waste 🤔😡

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #295 on: March 19, 2019, 07:49:29 pm »
If every rate payer in Conwy saved up their Garden Refuse for a couple of months and then were encouraged to bring it to the West Shore, we could ask all our County Councillors to come and view it. Then if we had a huge bonfire and burnt the lot.............. ;)
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #296 on: March 19, 2019, 08:29:46 pm »
Don't have the bonfire there on a windy day as the wind blown sand would soon put it out     ;D

Offline DVT

« Reply #297 on: March 29, 2019, 12:14:52 pm »
Just had the questionaiire pushed through my letter-box.

It's a bit like the Brexit referendum - only two options - (A) no collection or (B) pay for it ... where is option (C) carry on as now.

Then we have questions about your age, gender, sexual orientation and religion ... can someone please explain to me what relevance that has to the amount of garden waste we generate?

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #298 on: March 29, 2019, 12:48:33 pm »
That is unbelievable, DVT.

Even if I was considering option (B) to pay for it, I would expect to be asked up to how much?

That would help me make an informed decision.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #299 on: March 29, 2019, 01:18:07 pm »
Reminds me of times past, during a training session in the early 70's I was told to close the sale with, "how would you like to pay, by cash or by cheque " do not give another option, sounds like someone on the council has had similar training.