Author Topic: John Owen Coxswain Theodore Price RNLIB  (Read 13481 times)

Offline jom

John Owen Coxswain Theodore Price RNLIB
« on: August 31, 2013, 12:24:07 am »
I'm afraid this topic was struck by spam so removed but have an update from the RNLI.  There would appear to have been only one John Owen which would be why the article showed him as 5th in command of the Thomas and Annie Wade Richards wearing his bronze medal.  This was earned in 1919 as coxswain of the Theodore Price.

John was born 17 Feb 1865 and became bowman Jan 1905.  He attained 2nd Coxsawin 1 Oct 1907 and 1st Coxswain 1 Jan 1918.  He retired at the age of 62 on 31 Mar 1930 and died 29 Dec 1951.  He was a painter by trade.

This means he was not my 2 G Uncle but with more research to perform, I suspect he was the son of Robert and Catherine Owen.  This links to a previous thread re another John Owen, as Robert I believe, was the son of John and Alice Owen of the Prince of Wales.  John of the Prince of Wales being my 4 G Grandfather.  SO, it would seem he is likely to be of my tree ... yet to be confirmed.  Many thanks to Dave (you know who you are) and Hugo.  This may well have solved a VERY long standing mystery.  Just a shame my Dad isn't around to be able to tell him my thoughts!

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: John Owen Coxswain Theodore Price RNLIB
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 09:43:21 am »
Hi Jom, pleased to see your posting back again.  I was in the Archives this week and had a quick look at bits about the RNLI in Llandudno.
What I have found differs a bit from your latest posting as the report I read said that John Owen took over as 2nd Coxswain in 1904.   He then became Coxswain in Jan 1918 as you say and was awarded the Bronze medal by RNLI for his rescue of the crew of the "Ada Mary" on 27th March 1919.
Now I think that there were two John Owens, the above who served on the Theodore Price and the other one who served on The Thomas and Anne Wade Richards.
My reasons for thinking this are:-
1)   John Owen of the Theodore Price retired on 31st March 1930 aged 62 but the Thomas  and Anne Wade Richards was operational from 1933 to 1953 and also that it would be unlikely that having attained the post of Coxswain he would then come back as 5th in command.
2)    This is a photo of the crew of the Theodore Price taken about 1915 when John Owen was the 2nd Coxswain.  I would imagine John to be one of the two people at the rear of the boat wearing caps and neither looks like the John Owen in your photo,
These are only my observations without any conclusive proof but if you e-mail the Llandudno RNLI as you previously mentioned you would do then they would have the answers you are looking for

Offline jom

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 01:43:07 am »
Thanks for re posting that picture.  The RNLI said they only had the one John Owen so I took it to mean including crew members.  I wondered if John could have called upon to "come out of retirement" in extreme circumstances health etc permitting hence the "5th" in command.  I'm will be replying to the RNLI to clarify.  I have copied the initial response I had below.

"Thank you for your enquiry of the 23rd August.   Our Assistant Librarian, Peter Moorman, has supplied the following information;

John Owen (Painter)

Born 17.2.1865

Bowman – appointed 1.1905

Promoted

2nd coxswain 1.10.07

1st Coxswain – 1.1.18

Retired – Age 62 years 31.3.1930

Deacth – 29.12.1951

Unfortunately we have no record of another John Owen.

May I suggest you obtain a copy of the book ‘The Story of Llandudno Lifeboats’ by Jeff Morris (Lifeboat Enthusiasts Society) which details services carried out by the station naming the coxswain involved"

I have been given contact details (postal only possible) for the author so hope to post an enquiry to him as the book is not available through Amazon

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 11:28:26 am »
I'm not certain if the booklet I was reading in the archives was The story of Llandudno lifeboat or not.   It was only a small thin book and Jeff Morris' book only has 25 pages.  I'll check next time.
You may well be correct with your theory that John came back in extreme circumstances although he would have been 65 at least,   he certainly looks fit for his age if that is the same person.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 03:33:20 pm »
Hugo - there's an interesting book entitled "Wreck and Rescue on the Coast of Wales" Vol 2 covers Llandudno RNLI. Written by Henry Parry and published in 1973. Possibly not much more than in Morris' book but the "Ada Mary" incident is mentioned.  This book seems quite scarce now but they may well have one on the Archives or Reference Library.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 05:51:13 pm »
Thanks Cambrian,  I'll have to have a look at that.       $good$

Offline jom

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 11:29:54 pm »
Thank you both.  just waiting to find some appropriate moment to put pen to paper to Mr Morris! :-[

Offline emma silk

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 11:55:59 am »
My mum tells me that the man on the right, with the flat cap, at the back of the photograph that Hugo posted of the Theodore Price is John Isaac Jones who is her grandfather, and father to Ted Yr Ogof.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 04:35:28 pm »
That's strange Emma, because I can remember Ted Yr Ogof well and I seem to remember him wearing his cap similar to how John Isaac wore his.   Ted was a great guy who always had time for a chat as we walked along the Promenade past his boat on the jetty.

Offline emma silk

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 09:59:18 pm »
Hi Hugo, my mum also says what a lovely man Uncle Ted was,. I'm sorry, I must correct myself as the John Jones in the picture is Uncle Ted's father but his middle name is not Isaac as far as I know. His son is John Isaac. I've been doing a lot of family tree with my mum and she got mixed which is easy to do when both sides of the family have the same names. My mum also thinks that the John Owen could be the one Jom was talking about as she can remember her aunts talking about them although when she researched many years ago the dates didn't appear to be correct.

Offline Helig

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 12:55:41 pm »
I also remember Ted yr Ogof in the 1960s when he sold fresh fish from the North Shore Prom just by the jetty.

My grandmother used to send me down to buy fish from him and we ate them that night. He was a lovely man and his sudden, early, death shook the people of Llandudno back then.

Helig.

Offline emma silk

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2015, 01:41:45 pm »
Please does anybody know if Ted,s wife Lilian was a Duckinfield or a Barlow?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2015, 01:50:10 pm »
Ted's son Ed is a forum member let's hope he is looking at the forum.    Micox is also an expert on the Jones line and I'm sure that some others on here will give you the answer.

Offline emma silk

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2015, 01:55:59 pm »
Thank you for your prompt reply. Do you know how I can get in touch with Ed Jones as my mother would love to speak to him? $thanx$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2015, 02:13:37 pm »
Emma, the system has changed on the forum for contacting members but try this and see if it works:-

Go to Times Past then click on People at page 15
The first entry is by Ed Jones and you'll see an envelope under his name
Click on that to see if you can e-mail him.    Good luck

I haven't seen Eddie for about 50 years and hope that he is ok