Author Topic: The Forum in the Press  (Read 4486 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
The Forum in the Press
« on: October 28, 2010, 06:08:02 pm »
New bobby on the beat in Llandudno uses internet to help fight petty crime
Oct 28 2010 by Judith Phillips, North Wales Weekly News

A NEW bobby on the beat in Llandudno is using the internet to help him fight petty crime.

Mike Smith who has taken over as Community Beat Manager (CBM) for Craig-y-Don, West Shore and the Great Orme is utilising a local forum to find out about issues that are causing concern.

For the past two years he has served in a similar role in Penmaenmawr and is currently North Wales Police Federation Community Police Officer of the Year in recognition of his innovative work there.

He put in place schemes like Truancy Watch, Adopt A Street, and the Bluelight youth initiative to get kids off the streets and cut down on anti social behaviour. And he is hoping to carry on the good work in Llandudno.

“My main aim is a return to the days of the local bobby on the beat spending a lot of time on foot around the area, getting to know everyone, and to involve the communities in helping to make the areas in which they live even safer then they are already,” he said.

He is also inviting residents of the West Shore, Craig-y-Don and Great Orme areas to join a new policing issues forum on threetownsforum.co.uk

“I would encourage local residents to join the forum and post anything they feel we can help them with. The Policing Matters thread is under the local news and discussion topic,” he explained.

And already he has had a request to stamp out anti social behaviour in a bus shelter in Craig-y-Don.

“There has been a small success story after only a few days of the thread being up and running on the forum, with a local resident raising what she felt was a trivial matter which has now been addressed much to her delight,” he explained.

PC Smith will be patrolling the area with police Community Support officer Gail Starr who is well known to residents, and he says he hopes people will feel able to approach them with any problems they are experiencing.

“I know the area really well, having been brought up in Llandudno. I have lived in Craig-y-Don and also West Shore and on the Orme so I have a personal interest in the area and aim to really get on top of the problems.

“I am obviously aware of major problems in these areas which thankfully are few and far between, but it is seemingly minor issues which we need to be made aware of,” he added.

PC Smith can be contacted via e-mail at Michael. Smith@nthwales.pnn.police.uk or ring 07800 991219 and PCSO Gail Starr can be contacted on 07900 227061.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: The Forum in the Press
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 06:17:53 pm »
Snippet in the North Wales Weekly News - 16th October 2010. Our thanks go to Rayyan Sabet-Parry at the Weekly News for including it.

[smg id=850]