Author Topic: Planes, Trains & Automobiles  (Read 36482 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: What's Llandudno like right now?
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 10:54:23 am »
Do you often dream about Prince William?  :o ;D :P D) WWW

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 11:40:53 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 11:36:36 pm »
Do you often dream about Prince William?  :o ;D :P D) WWW
Not personally ...but Mrs Fester was with me at the time, and it was she that put that idea in my head ....the idea that it might have been HRH that is!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
Re: Planes, Trains & Automobiles
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2010, 09:20:08 pm »
Hi Suepp, your large white jet aircraft with a large bulge above the cockpit, sounds like the Airbus Beluga which flies into Broughton on a very regular basis. It picks up completed wings for other Airbus aircraft and then flies them back to Toulouse in France for final assembly
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2010, 04:39:08 pm »
Oh yes that's the one! I can see how it got the name  *&(

Offline Trojan

Llandudno Aerodrome
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2010, 06:09:21 am »
I remember reading a passage from Ivor Wynne Jones' book Llandudno Queen of Welsh Resorts with fascination:

The Gwydyr Road area, bounded by Conway Road and Maesdu Road, was used as an aerodrome from 1925, when a salesman for an oil company used to land here. Traveling flying circuses used it in the 1930's and it was also the base of Llandudno Flying Club whose hangar now serves as a garage in Cwm Road.

I had grown up in that very area and had never known it was once used by aircraft.

Does anyone have any more information or photographs on the aerodrome or Llandudno Flying Club?

Where was the hangar located in Cwm Road?

The only photograph I've ever seen is one I found in this Simmonds/Spartan Aircraft website:

http://daveg4otu.tripod.com/iowweb/sim.html

The picture below(sent by Roger Hall) shows 'BWU at Llandudno in September 1932. Can anyone say what it was doing there  in a wingless state?

Anyone recognise the location of the aircraft from the houses in the background?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 06:16:26 am by Trojan »

Offline Nemesis

Re: Llandudno Aerodrome
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2010, 08:41:03 am »
Wish I had seen this before Monday, as I had a very interesting lady in the charity shop who bought a jigsaw which had a Tiger Moth on it , as well as an MG car.
 She said that she wanted it as she drove an MG and flew Tiger Moths in her younger days. Bet she would have either known or known where to find out !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Yorkie

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2010, 12:20:58 pm »
In June 1932 it was registered to Hugh C Randal-Stevens, Brooklands and sold about September 1932 to an unknown owner.  The aircraft may well have been taken to pieces for transport by road or train to its new location.  Shortly after in January 1933 it was registered to Southend Flying Services Ltd, Southend.  The CofA finally expired in June 1940 and went for storage in Blackburn until the Registration ceased in 1946.  
The plane in flying condition.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2010, 04:10:19 pm »
I suppose this solves the mystery of the above photo of a Spartan in a wingless state in Llandudno - they had interchangeable wings.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2010, 11:03:50 am »
I'm wondering if it landed at the oval?  They didn't need a lot of length to land, those aircraft, although they need a tad more to take off.  Take off speed for a light Stearman was 50 knts,  and you could achieve that in about 300 yards.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2010, 01:01:47 pm »
The houses in the background look similar to those in Rhuddlan Avenue and would fit in with the location of the aerodrome described in 1925.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2010, 04:04:10 pm »
It's currently the preferred landing spot for any Helicopters that need a safe operating location when conducting their business in the town
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2011, 09:55:05 pm »
A reminder that Great British Railway Journeys has started again on BBC2 at 6.30pm weekdays. Of local interest will be the programme on Weds 12th Jan, when Michael Portillo visits Llandudno.

Full listing:
Monday 10 January - Ledbury to Shrewsbury,
Tuesday 11 - Telford to Wrexham,
Wednesday 12 - Chester to Conwy,
Thursday 13 - Llanrwst - Porthmadog,
Friday 14 - Llanberis - Holyhead.

Yorkie

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2011, 11:20:15 pm »
Watched the first two programs - great - and Michael Portillo is great to listen to.    :D

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2011, 10:57:18 am »
Just heard a very straing aircraft noise over Ruthin, it sounded really fast and low, I didn't see a thing just heard it, how do I find out what it was, I tried Planefinder but with no luck