Author Topic: Collecting  (Read 13578 times)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Collecting
« on: August 03, 2013, 03:54:06 pm »
Does anyone have an interesting collection to share?
I'm afraid I have got too many but here is one, my umbrellas.
My claim to fame is that I was once on the Collector's Lot programme with them.
It was an interesting filming day being interviewed by Sarah Greene in a house in London.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
Re: Collecting
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 04:13:13 pm »
Mmmm... Sarah Greene!
Valar Morghulis

Offline hollins

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 04:29:49 pm »
SDQ, really!!???
She didn't have that effect on me. Mind you, if it had been Becksy.........

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 06:02:32 pm »
Are you saving them for a rainy day Hollins?   ;D

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 06:12:11 pm »
I have a vast collection of old football programmes that I gathered around 50 years ago and cannot bear to part with.

One day, with two daughters I can see them all ending up in the dustbin.  &shake&

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 08:07:07 pm »
Snap.

I've got loads of Liverpool, Everton, Man City and Man U home and away programmes from the late 50's onwards in my garage. If only I could get to index them I'm sure there would be some in there worth a bit. Pride of place is a 1966 World Cup Programme (with all the names of players, referees and mangers for each game in the tournament filled in in my best hand writing) and the Man United v Benfica 1968 European Cup final programme.

Being a Bolton fan I've a shed load of theirs but the likes of Bolton v Locomotiv Plovdiv doesn't seem to have the same appeal. Mind you looking back at the programme from the 2008  1-0 Uefa tie win  v Athletico Madrid (including a subs appearance by Aguero ) is quite pleasant.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 09:46:37 pm »
Only a matter of time (if it's not already happening) before programmes are downloaded onto peoples ipads or mobile phones. No future collectables there ! Case in point. A couple of years back, for a fairly significant birthday , I bought tickets from my desktop, on line, for one of my bucket list items, a Boston Red Sox Game at Fenway Park. I expected to get a downloaded file I could print off, but no it was a bar code to my mobile phone. I zapped the phone image against a barcode reader in Boston and in we went. 5 or 6 weeks from buying to using of wondering whether I'd been scammed but it all went went well in the end.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 11:58:33 pm »
I have a vast collection of old football programmes that I gathered around 50 years ago and cannot bear to part with.

One day, with two daughters I can see them all ending up in the dustbin.  &shake&

Same here Bri.
I have many, (what I thought were), sought after programmes from the now defunct, Bradford Park Avenue FC.
There is such a rich history for that club, with massive FA Cup wins against Man Utd and Arsenal, and 70 years of fabulous heritage.

I finally took the plunge and looked on ebay to get a valuation, but the level of DIS-interest was staggering.
Someone replied and suggested that I should donate them FOR FREE to the newly formed BPA club.
Yeah, right.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 04:53:07 pm »
I had a massive collection of old football programmes too, including matches I had been to like Man Utd v Leicester  FA Cup Final 1963 and Man Utd  v Real Madrid   ( Di Stefano, Puskas,  Gento era )
I left them at home when I got married and my youngest brother has claimed possession of them   :(

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 05:08:59 pm »
Hugo, I have got the programmes for those two matches, if you ever want to see them.

I was also at that Man Utd v Real Madrid semi-final, first leg in 1968 which United won 1-0 with a goal by George Best.

I have also got the 1953 (Matthews), 1956 (Trautmann) , 1957 (Utd v Villa), 1958 (Utd v Bolton), 1959 and 1960 FA Cup Finals.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 05:36:38 pm »
Thanks Bri, that's very kind of you but I'll just keep it in my memory.   I also watched Man Utd  v Estudiantes from Argentina and what a game that was. Nasty from the very start and the Argentinians tackles made Nobby Stiles look like a saint.    :o   
I used to send away for the Cup Final programmes too and there should be a stack of those in Deganwy.
I've also got Billy Liddell's autograph when he was hosting an evening in his honour at Lewis's in Liverpool and some of the Brazilian 1966  World Cup team when they stayed in Lymm 

Offline hollins

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 05:40:50 pm »
You boys must have seen some great matches over the years.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 09:37:15 pm »
Indeed, Hollins... Bri and Hugo certainly did, but I must be left out of that group I fear.

Bradford Park Avenue  V  Workington Town  hardly gets me into those exalted circles.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, 10:00:44 pm »
yes but the right result at the end of the game gave you just as big a thrill. once a fan always a fan

Offline Hugo

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2013, 10:56:24 pm »
Indeed, Hollins... Bri and Hugo certainly did, but I must be left out of that group I fear.

Bradford Park Avenue  V  Workington Town  hardly gets me into those exalted circles.

Didn't Trevor Cherry play for one of the Bradford teams?    I seem to remember Leeds Utd signing him in the 70's