Author Topic: Ghosts in the area.....  (Read 25875 times)

Offline DownUnder

• Ad Free Member
Re: Ghosts in the area.....
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2020, 10:41:56 am »
Ghosts in the area DownUnder from Llandudno

This thread caught my interest due to a number of strange happenings in the research into my own extended family history.

The first  issue is a normal household suddenly engulfed in smoke to the extent that the fire brigade is called, but no source is found for the smoke.

In a forgotten corner of Brisbane lies a tunnel which half a century ago became the scene of Australia’s most sensational ghost experience.
On Saturday 20 November 1965 a group of teenagers sparked an event still recalled by Brisbanites 50 years later.

They came to see if there really was a ghost in the old subway tunnel at Victoria Park.

One of them claimed to have seen it – describing it as an armless, legless, headless blueish-white, luminous, transparent thing that came towards him – The Thing of Victoria Park!

The story sent the media into a frenzy, within days hundreds decided they had to see it for themselves.

Following an article in the Sunday Mail on 21 November 1965, around 1,000 people gathered at the tunnel trying to spot the ghost.

By 22 November, there were 1500.

By 8 O’clock in the evening on 23 November 1965 the crowd had grown to 2000 people, who packed the subway to stare at the concrete walls.

Estimates put nightly figures of ghostwatchers gathering in the park as high as 5000 at any one time.

Thousands of people of all ages, including families and children made their way down into this rarely used part of Brisbane, to see if they could see the ghost.

The event took on a carnival air with fairy floss sellers and even Ice Cream Vans catering to the crowds.

People young and old donned sheets over their heads and dared each other to walk through the tunnel.

Brisbane, and indeed Australia, had never seen anything like it.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2020, 11:40:05 am »
Good to hear from you, hope all is well  $good$

I found this thread you might like, "Spooky pictures" http://www.threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1183.0.html

Offline gaztrucker

local ghosts
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2020, 09:14:36 pm »
hi walking back from the bay to rhos one night when the station still had the glass screen my then girlfriend and i heard and saw a big diesel loco and passenger train pull into the station on the platform closest to the prom the shadow was quite distinctive the loco engine whistling on tickover nothing untoward there was a brief hoot on the horn then nothing !!! i kid you not there was just the normal sounds of the waves and the seabirds on the prom we both confirmed what we heard and saw to each other it was rather weird because at the time the seaward platform was occupied by a restaurant business called platform 3  and not rail connected !!! i have since heard that there was a class of diesel loco which were regular performers on the north wales coast main line and used to make a whistling sound when idling most odd !!!   also i have heard that in the shopping centre in the bay noises have been heard by maintenance and security staff which sound like railway wagons being shunted !!! not surprising it used to be a goods yard anyone got any more?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2020, 10:33:53 am »
gaztrucker
local ghosts
« on: Yesterday at 09:14:36 PM »
hi walking back from the bay to rhos one night when the station still had the glass screen my then girlfriend and i heard and saw a big diesel loco and passenger train pull into the station on the platform closest to the prom the shadow was quite distinctive the loco engine whistling on tickover nothing untoward there was a brief hoot on the horn then nothing !!! i kid you not there was just the normal sounds of the waves and the seabirds on the prom we both confirmed what we heard and saw to each other it was rather weird because at the time the seaward platform was occupied by a restaurant business called platform 3  and not rail connected !!! i have since heard that there was a class of diesel loco which were regular performers on the north wales coast main line and used to make a whistling sound when idling most odd !!!   also i have heard that in the shopping centre in the bay noises have been heard by maintenance and security staff which sound like railway wagons being shunted !!! not surprising it used to be a goods yard anyone got any more?

A few stories on this thread for you Gaz.

Offline mull

• Management board member
Re: local ghosts
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2020, 10:36:21 am »
If the locomotive was whistling it would be an English Electric  Class 40 .

Offline SteveH

Re: local ghosts
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2020, 10:44:54 am »

Offline gaztrucker

« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2020, 06:31:30 pm »
not really a ghost story or is it ? i work as a driver for conwy council we have two identical 15 ton daf cardboard/plastic collection wagons both built and delivered at the same time one reg.xoh has  performed faultlessly the other reg.anu has acted odd to say the least !!! before covid test station took over the builder street coach park we parked our wagons there myself and another colleague witnessed some weird things with wagon reg.anu one dark morning in the winter we were having a chat doing our daily vehicle checks when we both saw the hazard lights flash once followed by the reverse bleeper going off on the unoccupied vehicle we laughed it off but both agreed it was a bit weird since then other drivers have reported headlights suddenly coming on while doing their checks and the cab interior lights glowing as they approach !!! to add to this the wagon has also central locked when the driver is out of the cab to the extent that if ive driven it i make sure the window is open before getting out faults have happened to this wagon that should never occur on an otherwise reliable series of daf trucks haunted? i dont know dodgy wiring ? possibly  still makes me feel uncomfortable near the bloody thing !!!!!!

Offline mull

• Management board member
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2020, 11:01:40 am »
Gaztrucker.  Has it been stood or run through deep floodwater at some time. Electrics dont like that.

Offline gaztrucker

« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2020, 06:23:22 pm »
hi mull this wagon has acted weird since the day it was delivered its on 17 plate so its not an old wagon our transport garage dont like it either things happen to this thing that should never happen on a 17 plate motor im not saying its like the 58 plymouth from that film "christine" but shes not a good one !!!!  just maybe a friday afternoon build ?