Author Topic: Ghosts in the area.....  (Read 24512 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Ghosts in the area.....
« on: October 25, 2010, 10:22:29 pm »
Whilst looking through the BBC web page on ghosts in the local area:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/northwest/sites/llandudno/pages/weird.shtml

..and that got me thinking...have any forum members experienced anything of that nature? I don't believe in ghosts myself, in spite of having had ample opportunity to see them, having explored many large, empty old properties on my own in North Wales (like Gwrych Castle - below), that you would presume would have resident ghosts.

Gwrych Castle - Main Building by SnakeCorp, on Flickr

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Ghosts in the area.....
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 04:58:28 pm »
I haven't seen any ghosts and although I am quite cynical I try to keep an open mind. My father told me a story about a ghost in Deganwy and he heard it first hand from the owner of the property that had the ghost.   I didn't see it but there was no reason for the owner of the property to lie about it either.
The same can be said about UFO's too, but myself and a friend saw one in Llandudno in the 1960's although I never mentioned it to anyone but my closest friends until recent times.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 06:52:59 pm »
Maenan Abbey has a Spiritualist evening every month.

UFOs - well, they obviously exist - by definition :-))  But exactly what most are is where the fun begins. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline white rabbit

• I'm late, I'm late!
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 07:52:31 pm »
I understand there is a ghost of Lady Augusta ( I think) in Gloddaeth Hall.  I haven't encountered it myself but who knows?  Spooky subject for thos time of year!! WWW

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 10:42:34 pm »
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 04:54:22 pm »
The Albion is without doubt haunted.  Quite often we'd be working the bar when suddenly all the beers would stop, this is usually caused by the gas running out, so it was a quick trip to the cellar to change the bottle. Many times the staff and myself would go down and realise the bottle wasn't empty the valve had been turned off. This can not happen on its own and the cellar is obviously always locked.
Another time myself, hubby and Paul the bar man were talking behind the bar when suddenly 2 bottles of real ale flew off the shelf and smashed 2' away by the pumps...impossible but we all witnessed it.
As I've mentioned before my sister lived in the Albion with us for a few years, she was locking up one night, she'd checked no one was left in the toilets etc then went to Z the till. Next thing she came running upm the stairs her hair standing on end and terrified (it was really funny) she refused to go back down saying someone was whistling in the bar.
The boy was 5 yrs old when we moved in and before long was refusing to sleep in his room, saying a man kept waking him up in the night. He wouldn't lie he was 5, more than that my Hubbys lad was 13yrs and when he stayed over he said the same.
Countless things were moved from one place to another all the time.
I always made myself feel better by calling the ghost Bob.  We even had Uk Paranormal come one night, they took loads of pictures of orbs, it was very interesting. aaa.gif
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 05:12:06 pm »
I have to tell you about the scariest night I ever had in the Albion.  I was sanding down the pool room floor, it was about half 2 in the morning (all renovation work had to be done over night). I needed the loo, not wanting to wake up my family upstairs I used the customer toilets. The pub was silent as I washed my hands, I grabbed one of the paper towels and suddenly someone went "Pssst". I kid you not, I flew out of the toilets ran down the corridor into the pool room, nearly in tears and totally terrified I held the door shut, as I pulled myself together trying to breathe  I realised I'd had new automatic air fresheners put in the loos that day.
I felt a right plank.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Trojan

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 05:18:08 pm »
Found a snippet about the Albions' ghosts here in the Daily Post from 2007:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:NWFmf2i59nEJ:www.dailypost.co.uk/leisure/restaurants-north-wales/pubs-north-wales/2007/07/31/ghostly-presence-lurks-in-vaults-55578-19546550/+paranormal+conwy+albion+vaults&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Previous landlords recall hearing parties in the early hours, only to find the bar eerily deserted on venturing downstairs to check on the commotion. Others have found old pennies left on the bar for milk stouts long since consumed.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 05:19:59 pm by Trojan »

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 05:26:59 pm »
Ha ha, I remember reading this. I've still got the "Lepers Corner" sign, its under the bar at the club. My mate made it for me in protest of the smoking ban. The landlord that heard the parties at night was John Davies, he's told me many times the story. He'd had an argument with his girlfriend and come home to the pub early. He went to bed, around 2am he woke to the sound of people laughing and playing pool, he thought his girlfriend had bought people back for a lock in. Absolutly fuming he ran to the top of the stairs, he said he was putting his trousers on as he came down the stairs to the bar door, he flung the door open and the pub was in complete darkness with no one there, he wouldn't lie either.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 05:53:44 pm »
Our eldest tells us the Maenan is haunted . Mind you, they don't serve spirits after 1100....

ZXZ
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Trojan

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 06:00:25 pm »
But what's the explanation? A host of people all experiencing strange happenings at different times can't be put down to the imagination

I'm wondering if The Albion Vaults was built within close proximity to a Ley Line

As you probably know the earth itself is magnetized etc and has natural energy running through it (emf). Ley lines are like veins of energy running through the earth, just like the veins in your hand and as such you will find little Ley lines and some are larger and more powerful. Sites such as Stone Henge are built right on top of such a Ley line.
As general understanding suggests, ghosts need energy to exist and manifest etc and it is a general occurrence that a large percentage of haunting are based with a Ley line in close proximity to them.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 06:17:07 pm »
When UK Paranormal came to investigate they put special cameras all over the pub and we did a seance. Now I had been calling the ghost Bob for some time, UKP said the Albion was haunted by more than one ghost, but funnily enough one was called Robert Marshall he was about 30yrs old (made my skin crawl to be honest) Apparently in the early 1800 the front part of the Albion was used as a chemist type shop selling herbal remedies, one day a local girl came in she was 14yrs old, Roberts made her a concoction for her stomach pains, he later found out the young girl was actually pregnant and the concoction he had given her had an adverse effect and she died 2 days later. Racked with guilt Roberts is said to have hung himself in Benarth Woods. Benarth Woods is said to be haunted by the ghost of a young man who indeed hung himself in the woods (could it be the same Robert?) None of this has been investigated as I wouldn't know where to start.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 06:43:00 pm »
When one thinks of ghosts, generally it's a person or persons who have passed under traumatic circumstances many years ago. However, this does not explain the crowded pub and the pool playing experienced by a previous landlord. Did a group of people in the bar all die tragically there once?

It has been suggested that haunting is a form of energy that has been 'etched' into the immediate surroundings, especially if the Earth's energy is strong, as in the presence of a Lay Line. A traumatic event like a person hanging themselves, would emit extra ordinary electrical brainwaves (abnormal stress) from them just before they expire. These electrical impulses are then 'etched' into the Earth's electrical energy in the surrounding area, in layman's terms, similar to a tape recording - you speak into a tape recorder, and you can playback what you have just said.   

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 06:47:56 pm »
The guy haunting the living quarters is reputed to be a past landlord who had a heart attack in one of the rooms upstairs. I was told it was the room where my sons room was before we had to swap round as he was too scared to sleep in there. Bless (he was only 5 at the time)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 08:38:27 pm »
There's never been any evidence of supernatural forces, ghosts spirits or clairvoyance that's been established beyond doubt.  There are, however, a lot of people who make money out of those who want to believe.

Ley Lines were never supposed to be anything other than neolithic footpaths.