Author Topic: Llandudno's Seagull Problem  (Read 39541 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Llandudno's Seagull Problem
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2013, 06:41:16 pm »
Strikes me, after this morning's stomach turning smell, it is time someone did that again. :puke2:
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline viv

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2013, 07:37:36 pm »
Bring back the Coastal Hawks - Conwy stopped having them due to the cuts -so we have to suffer the smells!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2013, 08:21:48 pm »
Bring back the Coastal Hawks - Conwy stopped having them due to the cuts -so we have to suffer the smells!
They were ineffective, in my view. They only caused a momentary disturbance amongst the gulls, didn't stop them nesting or control their numbers, which is the main problem.

Offline Bigmurph

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2013, 08:27:42 pm »
The seagulls are a big problem a few of us at the station have had dealings with them, u don't realise how big the things are until they start swooping down at you, they should be served with asbo,s and if they don't behave shoot them.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2013, 08:29:27 pm »
The seagulls are a big problem a few of us at the station have had dealings with them, u don't realise how big the things are until they start swooping down at you, they should be served with asbo,s and if they don't behave shoot them.
BigMurph, you speak my kind of language!

Offline Paulakelsall

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2013, 09:58:48 pm »
I visited Asda yesterday and confirm the smell was overpowering - my father said it smelt like fish boxes and I thought it smelt like wee wee! We came to the conclusion it must have been the compost bags fermenting in the sun - how wrong were we!

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2013, 08:39:01 am »
I visited Asda yesterday and confirm the smell was overpowering - my father said it smelt like fish boxes and I thought it smelt like wee wee! We came to the conclusion it must have been the compost bags fermenting in the sun - how wrong were we!

I thought at first that it was fish-- which isn't one of my favorite smells-- but I seem to remember being told about the gull problem there last year. As the weather has been so hot it must have been intensifying it. I feel sorry for the poor chaps who deal with the trollies and the gardening things.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2013, 09:42:08 am »
The gulls have had a very successful breeding season with most pairs hatching two eggs.  The population has almost doubled in a short period of time! 

Do they make good pies?   $dins$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2013, 10:00:01 am »
The question is...how far will the gull population increase before CCBC decide to do something about it? In my mind, that level of population has already been reached and action needs to be taken.

The seagull problem was last discussed by the Council back in 2000, when it was agreed that they were becoming a problem. I don't think that anyone would doubt that their numbers have increased significantly since then. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/667453.stm

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2013, 11:56:07 am »
Interesting letter in the NWWN from a Mr. Horan of Macclesfield saying, amongst other things, that the seagulls kept him and his wife awake during their stay in Llandudno and wondering why CCBC don't do something about it.

Personally, if I was woken several times during the night by seagulls when staying in a hotel, I doubt I would go back and that's probably a common attitude. Yet, so many hotel and guest house owners in Llandudno appear to have done nothing to gull proof their premises.  &shake&

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2013, 12:52:47 pm »
The gulls which are audible at night usually aren't roosting anywhere, but flying around-- even in the dark! The novice flyers swoop around in panic screaming whilst the parents fly around after them making sympathetic ( to them) noises.

To my mind they are part of the general seaside atmosphere, but I do feel that the numbers are getting above a level of safety, especially on the prom.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2013, 01:34:01 pm »
nemesis its not only by the front its also very bad up the hospital way ,as i said a while ago they were on the cliffs of the orme then they came into the town for the food its so bad now ccbc have to do something ,we will have the stink all over like it is at the asda

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2013, 01:43:32 pm »
Up where I live, the gulls are very noisy at night and its when they standing/sitting on the rooftops, particularly around nests, they do that long warbling noise almost continually, which I understand is some sort of territorial marking sound. If property owners 'gull proofed' the chimney pots and flat areas of their roofs with spikes and netting, then the problem would be much reduced.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 06:47:31 am by DaveR »

Offline DVT

« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2013, 09:01:21 pm »
Problem is not just in Llandudno.  I live in the Junction and there are three houses backing onto us that have each had a seagull nest and three chicks.  The make a racket every eveing, much of the day, then I get woken at daybreak every morning by the squawking.  I've had to cover my pond with mesh to stop them going in there and have seen them actually take fish from the pond (before I put extra netting in place).

If we had rats I could quite legally poison them.  What can I do about these flying pests?  There are more than enough of them, they don't all need protecting.  And yes, I am a lover of wildlife.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2013, 12:08:38 am »
Agreed DVT and DaveR,  Something simply must be done.

Customers are telling me that they love the town, but simply cannot get any sleep due to the incessant gull racket, and it spoiling their holiday.
Add that the increasing number of aggressive attacks, and it is clear that we are past the point for action.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -