Author Topic: Llandudno's Seagull Problem  (Read 39552 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Llandudno's Seagull Problem
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2013, 11:29:45 am »
 ;D _))* ;D _))*

Alot of snoring this hot weather-- or perhaps the gulls have learned to do that as well !
 $donald$
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2013, 02:51:20 pm »
               As I was walking down Conwy Road into town this morning, I looked across to ASDA and the roof was covered with seagulls in various stages of development, (this year's model, last years' vintage etc), but when I looked across to the roofs of the buildings on Parc Llandudno, (Debenhams, BHS etc) there is hardly a bird to be seen. The roof on ASDA is a gently sloping area but the stores on Parc Llandudno have fairly steeply-pitched roofs with not many suitable areas to build nests. I think there might be a lesson to be learnt there for future developments in the town.  Also the area around Bog Island was a favourite place this morning for chip and baguette-eating trippers who were feeding them. That is the time when you DO need to see the "Litter Police" but I assume they were still on the West Shore waiting to ambush unsuspecting dog owners to fine them for letting their pets run free there.
          I can remember when I worked in the old ASDA store (which had a flat roof) we used to go up there and prick the eggs in the nests there, but you always had to have someone there with you with a big golf-type umbrella to protect you from the attacking gulls, which were very threatening and vicious.
         There used to be an old military type gentleman who would come to the store, buy a couple of loaves, and then go out onto the car park and scatter them for the gulls which of course immediately descended en mass in a "feeding frenzy". When we used to ask him to stop he used to bellow "Do you know what it's like to be starving? I do, I was in a POW camp in the far east during the war". There is no answer to that but we used to try and reason with him and tell him that they were not in fact starving but greedy, to no avail, and eventually his wife would emerge from the store with her shopping, thank us for looking after him (again!) and take him off to their car. I would have liked to have seen the "Litter Police" dealing with him, there would have been only one winner!

Offline Tosh

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2013, 03:10:35 pm »
About 20 years ago in a city 80 miles away from here, the underground delivery area and car park of the large shopping mall was infested with pigeons.
Over the weekend a team of pest controllers moved in with .22 rifles and shot the lot, possibly 200 of the blighters.
Previous to the cull the area was not safe to enter because of the health hazard caused by droppings etc.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2013, 05:26:32 pm »
                That is the time when you DO need to see the "Litter Police" but I assume they were still on the West Shore waiting to ambush unsuspecting dog owners to fine them for letting their pets run free there.

Problem is the gulls would have devoured the evidence before the litter police got there!    :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 02:10:14 am »
As far as I know, Seagulls are a protected species, and cannot be harmed ... (although they have no qualms about harming us humans)

However, I am aware that in Blackpool, there has been an active cull,  by employing local marksmen to shoot a great many of them.

Does anyone know more about how the law works, or how it could be circumvented to allow a much needed cull in N Wales?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2013, 07:43:07 am »
Couple of hawks might have some effect...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2013, 07:51:00 am »
Could work, but where would they land?  ;D
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2013, 08:00:42 am »
 _))* _))* _))*

Very good!
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2013, 08:56:32 am »
This is a good source of information about measures to deal with gulls:
http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourenvironment/animalsandpestcontrol/seagullcontrol.htm

It would seem that the onus is on property owners to 'gull proof' their properties to prevent them nesting.

Offline Tosh

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2013, 08:58:30 am »
Don't  tell me you've bought a Hawk ME to go with your car collection.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2013, 09:53:03 am »
No, just 4 pigeons, one dove and a canary!  :laugh:

Offline Tosh

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2013, 11:54:36 am »
And a partridge in a pear treeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. 

$good$

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2013, 12:42:57 pm »
I was waiting for that one!  $good$

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2013, 11:52:55 am »
Had a chat with one of the men sorting out the trollies outside Asda this morning. People passing to go in were asking what the evil smell was--and believe me it was evil. They are waiting for contractors to jet wash the roof to remove the seagull muck as it smells so bad with the heat.
Take your face masks folks !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2013, 04:42:00 pm »
If my memory serves me right, years ago some locals used to go on to roof nesting areas and prick the eggs, thus ensuring that they would not hatch, the Gulls would try to incubate them, but would eventually give up and go and nest somewhere else  'simples'  ;D
Dictum Meum Pactum