Author Topic: Llandudno's Seagull Problem  (Read 39560 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Llandudno's Seagull Problem
« on: July 21, 2013, 08:31:53 pm »
Over the last few years, I've noticed that Llandudno's resident gull population has become a real problem, and its one that is getting worse every year.

Their numbers are increasing rapidly, the noise they make at all hours of the day is horrendous (I've heard so many complaints from people, including visitors, this year) and their aggression/boldness towards humans is getting beyond a joke - how long will it be before someone is badly injured as a result of a seagull attack? It's practically impossible to walk down the Pier or along Mostyn St with an ice cream or sandwich without getting attacked by a  gull. The pavements are currently covered with splattered gull poo - it looks terrible.

So, what is the solution? A cull, pricking the eggs, replacing the eggs with replicas that never hatch, compulsory 'gull proofing' of all roofs to prevent them nesting?

Dont get me wrong, I like having some gulls in Llandudno,they're an integral part of a seaside town. But their numbers are now out of control and something does need to be done.

PS, please, let's have no nonsense about 'they were here first'. Llandudno was sand dunes before it was built, and gulls nest only on high places like cliffs.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
Re: Llandudno's Seagull Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 09:10:37 pm »
 i agree with you dave ,i am always telling visitors to be carefull ,yes they were here before us but not all over the town ,on the cliffs [the orme ],as you say someone will be attacked badly soon

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 10:03:55 pm »
I quite like the sound they make but it's true there's been a shift in the population of gulls. Whereas once they used to concentrate mainly around the Orme, now Asda is a favourite rendezvous and they are quite aggressive.  Unfortunately, some visitors still insist on feeding them, but I suspect the worst time for attacks is in spring and early summer, when the young ones are becoming fledglings.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 10:20:38 pm »
Unfortunately, some visitors still insist on feeding them, 

Surely, any visitor caught doing this can now be fined £75 because it is no different to dropping litter?

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 10:57:03 pm »
its not only visitors ,locals throw bread out for them ,its a pain when they dance on your roof most of the night, the seagulls i mean

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 11:12:06 pm »
I completely agree with all that has been said.
This is becoming a real problem, I have seen many 'attacks' ranging from the amusing to the downright vicious in the last year or so.   I have seen children injured, and blood shed from adults, (usually, but not always female)
Mrs Fester and I were talking about this subject just yesterday, when it affected ME!

There is a baby seagull hanging around our garden, it cannot yet fly so has been vulnerable to foxes or cats for the last few days.
Yesterday, I could not see it, so I assumed that nature had taken its course.
BUT NO! 

I attempted to walk up my garden steps, to be instantly attacked from the air by FOUR adult seagulls.  I had no idea why until I saw that the baby one was on my decking.
It was about 20 feet away, I was no threat.... but they were taking no chances, and I still do not understand why four birds went for me, rather than just the parents?

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 11:21:01 pm »
maybe they thought you were GULLable and would be a threat to the young one but why 4 of them it must be because of your build.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 06:53:53 am »
Gulls use a technique called Mobbing, whereby all adult birds in the area respond to a baby gull under threat.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 07:50:16 am »
Got there before me!  With regard to the noise, I should say I don't mind their squawking, but the noise of their happy-dancing can be rather intrusive, I agree:-)) Magpies and Crows make the worst noise overall, however.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 08:06:57 am »
For me the worse noise of all is a barking dog when you are trying to sleep!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 08:08:38 am »
Move to Llandudno and you'll soon change your mind about that.  :P

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 08:31:49 am »
My OH and I have been 'mobbed' quite a few times whilst walking the dog around 10pm-- no babies actually in sight, but obviously we are posing some threat and they are dealing with it.
As for the noise, this year there has hardly been an hour of silence, day or night. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't bother me, but visitors seem to be getting less and less sleep, the constant screaming, mewling and squawking.

Got one on our chimney this morning !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 09:26:08 am »
The busiest area for seagull spotters is on the promenade at the top of St Georges Place where visitors congregate to sit and eat their fish and chips bought from St Georges Plaice next door to Café Culture.

Mrs R has now given up for 2013 to buying her favourite Kelly’s Ice Cream from the kiosk on the pier for obvious reasons.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 09:58:06 am »
Move to Llandudno and you'll soon change your mind about that.  :P

Move to sunny Rhos on Sea, a better class of bird here!  $good$
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2013, 10:41:44 am »
Don't get me wrong, it doesn't bother me, but visitors seem to be getting less and less sleep, the constant screaming, mewling and squawking.

And what about the seagulls?

WWW WWW WWW