Author Topic: Llandudno's Seagull Problem  (Read 39559 times)

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
Re: Llandudno's Seagull Problem
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2013, 11:04:57 pm »
I blame Hitchcock for putting the idea into there heads

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2013, 04:53:23 pm »
I don't even live near the beach and I get a barrage of noise from 3am until 6am every single morning. :o

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2013, 05:18:44 pm »
Neighbour playing Justin Bieber cd's?  WWW
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Trojan

« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2013, 06:59:19 pm »

:laugh:

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2013, 08:48:48 pm »

No, B2R actually lives in a land-fill site.   :laugh: :laugh:
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2013, 11:14:38 pm »
 _))* lots of Justin's CDs in there then!  :laugh:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Trojan

« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2013, 01:48:47 am »
_))* lots of Justin's CDs in there then!  :laugh:

_))* $good$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2013, 06:55:35 pm »
Given that CCBC are apparently unwilling to do anything, they shouldn't be surprised when people start taking their own direct action surely? If a dangerous dog was roaming the neighbourhood biting people it would soon be dealt with.

Llandudno couple terrorised by seagulls consider selling their home
By Judith Phillips
22 Aug 2013 11:49

A COUPLE say they are being terrorised in their own home by seagulls and the husband had his head cut open when he was dive bombed by one in the garden.

The pensioners, who have asked not to be named, say they’re even thinking of putting their bungalow in Llandudno  up for sale because the problem is so bad.

And they blame neighbours who feed the gulls for exacerbating the problems they’re experiencing.

Following a story highlighting the increasing problem with gull attacks in last week’s Weekly News the couple got in touch to tell their story, and to plead for action to be taken to stop people feeding the sea birds.

The wife explained they have lived in their home for more than 30 years but feel they must now move as going into the garden when gulls were nesting on nearby roofs was too dangerous.

“We’re sick to death of having to live with this problem which has become so bad that we are frightened to go into our lovely garden and can’t enjoy it.

“My husband was attacked when a young seagull learning to fly landed in the garden and this big seagull swooped down cutting his head. The cut was five or six inches long and dripping with blood. It wasn’t deep enough for stitches but it was very painful,” she complained.

Even putting washing out in the garden is now an ordeal.

“My husband has to hold an umbrella over our heads so that I can peg it on the line without worrying about being attacked. When we first moved here the seagulls nested in the quarry at Nant-y-Gamar and on the cliffs of the Little and Great Ormes but because people now feed them they’re nesting more and more on houses and that’s what’s causing the problem,” she claimed.

In last week’s paper a Conwy County Council officer explained it was impossible to cull herring gulls because their numbers nationally are declining, and they’re a protected species.

He suggested householders employ private pest control officers to remove nest from roofs before the eggs hatch.

But the woman said: “That wouldn’t work in our case because they are nesting on our neighbours’ roofs and they won’t get them removed.”

And added: “To say they are protected is wrong because surely people are more important. Who is protecting us?

“The council should also put bigger and more prominent signs on the promenade asking people not to feed the seagulls because sitting on a bench on the promenade can also be dangerous.”

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/llandudno-couple-terrorised-seagulls-consider-5766773

Offline 1_rob_1

« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2013, 10:21:03 pm »
As a non resident, when I am staying in  llandudno, I love to be woken up by the seagulls, even if it is 3.30 in the morning in summer, it reminds me of where I am. - no sound of seagulls -then it doesnt seem a true costal resort.

Seagulls normall only attack if they think their eggs/chicks are at risk - as would any parent.

They were here before the residents - this is the last thing you want to hear - -  - - - Us visitors dont have to put up with them every day of the year.

I also love to sit on the prom & watch people eating takeaways & the seagulls hassling them & pinching their food  WWW

I like the seagulls - live & let live - they are only a nuisance if they are encouraged.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2013, 10:36:09 pm »
Seagulls normally only attack if they think their eggs/chicks are at risk - as would any parent.

That has certainly not been our experience twice on the pier this summer as we found out they are also partial to Kelly’s ice cream and are prepared to attack from the rear to get what they want.

Offline 1_rob_1

« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2013, 10:55:51 pm »
[quote}they are only a nuisance if they are encouraged.[/quote]

They have been encouraged for a long time - if people didnt feed them, they would not be so tame, & would not be so opportunist.

It needs the council to put up signs & to enforce a no feeding policy, the seagulls may not read these, but eventually they will come to understand them. ;D

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2013, 12:03:21 am »
Seagulls normally only attack if they think their eggs/chicks are at risk - as would any parent.

That has certainly not been our experience twice on the pier this summer as we found out they are also partial to Kelly’s ice cream and are prepared to attack from the rear to get what they want.

Bri is correct, and I would go further, I have seen several nasty injuries caused by Seagull attacks to steal food in the last couple of years.
Rob, I think that your natural love of birds is clouding your judgement.  I do hope you would not find it amusing to see a small child in tears and bleeding as a result of losing his ice cream?
We are banned from causing harm to seagulls, but they are at liberty to steal from us and injure us?

I am a bird lover, but I would support a cull in the seagull numbers locally.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2013, 07:22:00 am »
Well said Fester.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2013, 10:12:41 am »
The problem is that the seagull numbers have increased so dramatically in recent years that the balanced has been tipped over into them becoming a pest, rather than a natural part of seaside life. As their numbers have grown, so has the competition for food, hence the increase in aggression. 'no feeding' signs were installed on the Prom several years ago to little effect; indeed, the reduction in food supply will probably result in them becoming even more aggressive towards people carrying ice creams, chips, pasties etc.

As any Llandudno resident knows, gulls will attack under several circumstances. I'll predict right now that someone will end up badly injured at some point, unless CCBC comes up with a plan to reduce their numbers in the town.