Author Topic: Questions about Buildings  (Read 16613 times)

Offline thompson

Questions about Buildings
« on: June 24, 2013, 09:07:28 am »
After some local knowledge please....
My husband and I bought Hafod y Mor on Hill Terrace over a year ago now. It's having a lot of work done to try to restore and update it. It was run as letting rooms and then a B&B for many years until we sought and gained planning to convert it to residential use. Because of where it is, I can find 1000s of images of it in the background of promenade and pier shots, however, I cannot find any information to tell or show me how it's front garden/ terrace area looked originally. Does anybody know or have any pictures please? Many thanks.
Lesley

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
Questions about Buildings
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 11:10:01 am »
Whilst waiing for the bus today I noticed all the plaster moulding above and below the top windows of Listers Buildings.  I thought that they were all the same until I looked properly.  Under one window is a womans face and the face of a man under another.  I couldn't see one because a tree is in the way.  Anyone know who did them and why it seems to be the only building with that type of decoration?
Got a telephoto lense Dave.?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 08:16:57 am by Ian »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Listers Buildings
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 10:16:05 am »
I shall have a look when next passing. They're probably generic building decorations, as opposed to anything connected with Listers, a few buildings in Colwyn Bay have them.

Offline Jack

Re: Questions about Buildings
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 07:52:19 pm »
Saw this postcard on ebay today, what is the imposing building on Conwy Morfa?  $thanx$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 09:55:45 pm »
Its Dr Garretts childrens home, I think?

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 10:29:55 pm »
Yup.

Offline dwsi

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 11:53:10 pm »
I think that's the Beacons

Offline Jack

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 09:00:41 pm »
Many thanks for the replies. Is the Beacons the same building as Dr Garretts then?

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 09:45:56 pm »
Jack, someone will soon correct me if I am wrong but I believe Dr Garretts is name of the building and the Beacons is the area of land where it is situated.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 08:51:33 am »
I think you are correct Bri.  That area together with the slipway and parking area is still known and signed as The Beacons.   :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 09:02:11 am »
I think Dr Garrett's was two properties called "Min y Don" and "Holmfield" further back along Morfa Drive.  The large building in the photo was the Beacons and may have been a hotel at one point before requisition during World War II.  I believe is was largely derelict afterwards and subsequently demolished.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 06:53:41 pm »
We were out for a walk in the glorious sunshine on Sunday morning and passed by the derelict house on Llys Helig Drive. Looks like its been abandoned for a while, does anyone have more information on it? The land its on must be worth a fortune, if nothing else.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 07:19:46 pm »
After some local knowledge please....
My husband and I bought Hafod y Mor on Hill Terrace over a year ago now. It's having a lot of work done to try to restore and update it. It was run as letting rooms and then a B&B for many years until we sought and gained planning to convert it to residential use. Because of where it is, I can find 1000s of images of it in the background of promenade and pier shots, however, I cannot find any information to tell or show me how it's front garden/ terrace area looked originally. Does anybody know or have any pictures please? Many thanks.
Hi, have only just seen this post. I've had a look through some old brochures but all I can find  are photos taken from a distance, this is an ad from 1934. The proprietors in 1954 were F.L. and J Cartwright

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 07:34:51 pm »
This advert for the Hafod Y Mor in 1941 is in the Forum Gallery:

[smg id=1866]

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 08:08:15 pm »
I can't see it.  :(
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas