Author Topic: Old Postcards - Transport & Weather  (Read 75008 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Re: Stop Press
« Reply #210 on: January 05, 2014, 12:12:54 am »
This is where I saw the photo/painting of the 1907

Old Photos of Llandudno (Page 5) in Caernarfonshire in North Wales, United Kingdom of Great Britain.   

http://www.oldukphotos.com/caernarfonshirellandudno.htm

If the link doesn't work just type into Google " Old photos etc " and then click on it.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 08:43:00 am by Ian »

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #211 on: January 05, 2014, 08:44:00 am »
I've fixed the link Hugo.  Invaluable site, that.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline hollins

« Reply #212 on: January 05, 2014, 09:08:18 am »
Thanks for putting that link on here Hugo. There are some great views on there and very interesting that so many have the dates on too.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #213 on: January 05, 2014, 10:32:09 am »
I've fixed the link Hugo.  Invaluable site, that.

Thanks very much for that Ian.      $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #214 on: January 05, 2014, 10:43:05 am »
Thanks for putting that link on here Hugo. There are some great views on there and very interesting that so many have the dates on too.

You're very welcome Hollins,  that photo/ painting of the North Shore has a name on the bottom left hand side that I can't make out.
It looks like the surname is Keane and there was a photographer round in the late 1800's who had 4 sons, some of whom were photographers but one was an artist in watercolour paintings.
Perhaps Dave may be correct as he has an eye for these things but in any event it's very impressive scene  as storms go.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #215 on: January 05, 2014, 11:02:23 am »
I'll be doing a bit of housekeeping in here, shortly, as we seem to have wandered a little - albeit delightfully - off topic.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline BMD

« Reply #216 on: January 05, 2014, 06:24:30 pm »
That's a remarkable picture. Here's another I found (on the web) by the same artist, Elmer Keene.

Offline Hugo

Re: Old Postcards - Transport & Weather
« Reply #217 on: January 06, 2014, 03:45:34 pm »
Another very good picture  BMD.  I'm glad that you could make out the artist's full name.
I've just looked him up on Google and what a talented family he has come from.

Offline mull

« Reply #218 on: December 29, 2016, 06:23:58 pm »
Can anyone on the Forum help me with this one ?

Back in the 1950s some of the Single Deck Crosville buses had small Royal Mail post box outside on the rear of the bus. I can recall one parked up on waste ground by the old Police station.

Does anyone have know of the routes these buses ran on, the collection times and the arrangements for emptying the post boxes ?
 &shake&

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #219 on: December 29, 2016, 08:42:25 pm »
Yes may be able shed some light, Mull.

The red-painted wooden post boxes were the property of the GPO and affixed to some of the single-deckers operating out of the Llandudno Town Depot. I seem to recall that even in the early 1960s they still had GVI's royal cypher on an enamelled white plate on the door but without posting times.

They used to provide a late posting facility for places on the old M11 route on its 1900 service from Eglwysbach to Llandudno.  Letters and small packets could be inserted into the box by the poster at whatever bus stop on the route they signalled for the bus to stop.

I once asked a conductor who emptied the box and where - as us youngsters constantly debated whether it was at the Junction or Llandudno.  The answer was that a postman met the bus on arrival at Llandudno and emptied the box (in those days there was a stop in Vaughan Street outside Lee's antique shop which would be the most convenient for the GPO).

When the single deckers were changed to one-man operation in the late 1960s or early 1970s, a new box somewhat smaller in size was provided by the driver's cab inside the vehicle.  This didn't last long as, I expect, people not seeing the box on the rear assumed the facility was no longer available and use declined.

According to R C Anderson's History of Crosville Motor Services (1981), a Leyland single decker, fleet number KA27, "had a detachable post box fitted on the nearside rear panel and for years operated the Llandudno - Eglwysbach".  KA27 was delivered in a batch during 1937/38. The local one was not unique as there area couple of photos in the 1987 edition of "State Owned without Tears" one showing a bus with the box visible and the other a small ceremony of a boy posting a letter in the box on the circular service in Rhyl in 1931 - said to be the first instance of such a service.

Offline mull

« Reply #220 on: December 30, 2016, 11:13:57 am »
Thanks for that Cambrian, very interesting.
Glad you confirmed it was real and my memory was not playing tricks.
Interesting how Royal Mail in those days probably gave a better service than now.
Last week up here on Mull we had no post from Thursday until Wednesday this week . Excuse rough weather Oban Craignure ferry cancelled. There was a way round it via Lochaline Fishnish but no initiative to come round that way.

Seems to be the way of things these days nobody cares.