Author Topic: People  (Read 119642 times)

Offline Welshmunchkin

• Peace can only be achieved by understanding
Re: People
« Reply #180 on: December 05, 2011, 06:49:07 pm »
I also remember Bessie when she was at the farm in Craig y Don. I used to have riding lessons from her when I was a child still in primary school, must have been around 1962/ 63. One of the horses at that time was called Sparky. I also had a few lessons up at Pinewood riding stables. In my early twenties I worked for a time at Benarth Hall in Conwy, and used to sometimes accompany Mrs Arkle, the then owner of Benarth when she took disabled children riding.
It was my friend Ruth who introduced me to riding at Bessies. She was a girl who lived and breathed horses. The craze at the time in the school playground was playing " Ivanhoe", and while most of us wanted to play at being the damsel in distress or a brave knight, Ruth always wanted to be the horse!
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.  --Stephen Hawking

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know - it's me!    --John G. Miller

Offline Haulfre

« Reply #181 on: December 06, 2011, 10:01:22 pm »
I was too young to remember Bessie's at Craig Y Don, and i didnt actually know that she originally had her stables there-very interesting! I remember the horses/ponies called= Sam (my favourite) and i rode him  in Llandudno carnival one year, also Connie,Bistro,Kizzy,Rowan,Pepsi,Johnny Rep.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #182 on: January 03, 2012, 09:26:22 am »
Man on Llandudno Pier in 1925:

[smg id=2617]

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #183 on: January 06, 2012, 10:05:25 pm »
A fabulous photo - hundreds of soldiers massed on the Promenade ready for inspection in 1915:

[smg id=2625]

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #184 on: January 19, 2012, 12:53:22 pm »
A fishing competition on Llandudno Pier in 1962:

Llandudno Sea Fishing Society competition by LlGC ~ NLW, on Flickr

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #185 on: January 19, 2012, 12:55:08 pm »
Town Crier at Llanrwst in 1875:

[Town crier, Llanrwst] by LlGC ~ NLW, on Flickr

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #186 on: January 19, 2012, 01:07:12 pm »
A photo of Mr Jones, Mayor of Llanaswel in 1885. Let's hope it doesnt give Greg Robbins any ideas...  :laugh:

[Mr Jones, Lord Mayor of Llansawel] by LlGC ~ NLW, on Flickr

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #187 on: January 19, 2012, 01:20:59 pm »
Ha nice one Dave,  but I have to admit that I have no idea where Llanaswel, or Llansawel is? 
Which ever one is correct.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline plas penmon

« Reply #188 on: January 24, 2012, 03:54:37 pm »
I am another with fond memories of Bessie Roberts who ran the riding school. I used to go there when she ran it from the famr that her parents rented from the Mostyn family. The famr was by Lady Forester's Convalescent Home at the back of Craig y Don.

It was a sad day when she had to relocate, the Mostyn Estate increased the rent on the farm and they had to leave there.

I remember her stables from when they were in Craig Y Don, near to where the Craig Y Don Primary School is now.  Then she had to move to Glanwydden.

A lovely, happy, and constantly smiling lady, always wanting the children to enjoy their horse riding.  So much enthusiasm and a very hard worker.   The horses I remember in her time in Craig y Don, Bingo, Dudley, Del, Rowan, she had a skewbald too cannot remember his name though atm??
Oh, I remember those horses and Bessie and Di very well. I wonder if Di is still around? She used to ride a big grey called Willy! I remember all the names couple more, Jet, Bimbo and Truffles, oh and Lulu. Happy days :)

Offline kgem

« Reply #189 on: April 16, 2012, 09:24:55 pm »
Here is a list of people past and present from conwy.I was given the list last week. I later found out it had been compiled by the conwy jackdaw society in 2002. They sat around a table and called out names.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #190 on: April 16, 2012, 10:16:30 pm »
Whats the point of it?  Most of the names are nicknames.

You might as well print a list of Forum members nicknames on Oscar.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline dwsi

« Reply #191 on: April 17, 2012, 04:24:37 pm »
Tatws was the towns policeman in the 70's and 80's
Elwyn Taxis is the once owner of Elwyn's Taxis

Offline Ludo

« Reply #192 on: May 21, 2012, 12:09:19 am »
Exactly 45 years ago to the day - does anyone remember 'It's a Knockout' from Eirias Parc 21st May 1967? Billy Simpson and a few of his cohorts from the Clock had to ahem, 'dismantle' a piano in less than 30 seconds to win the heat for Llandudno against Colwyn Bay. Which they did of course - with time to spare, and went on to the finals in Locarno Switzerland in July later that year. I am proud to say I witnessed this legendary event with my own eyes!.

Smashing a piano to pieces with a sledgehammer in 30 seconds was no trouble for Bill - he and most of the clientelle at the Clock could do the same thing to the pub's fixtures and fittings with their bare fists in half that time. Billy Simpson was a real character - well liked by all who knew him, and has the great honour of a bench inscribed to his memory in Haulfre Gardens - now THAT's fame....

http://www.jsfnet.co.uk/series_1967_iak.htm
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #193 on: June 25, 2012, 08:43:19 pm »
This picture turned up in one of our old photo albums from August 1950.    It is the Rhos-on-Sea Gala Queen and her entourage.    Can anyone put names to any of the faces?

Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #194 on: June 25, 2012, 09:28:27 pm »
"Jack doggy doos shot"  ;D