Author Topic: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea  (Read 319306 times)

Offline Neil

Re: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea
« Reply #450 on: March 08, 2016, 02:53:10 pm »
Hi Tom, Yes The Daily Post can use my picture.
Regards Neil.

Offline Neil

« Reply #451 on: March 09, 2016, 02:20:01 pm »
Very rough! in Rhos on Sea harbour, this morning.

Offline Lyndylou

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #453 on: March 17, 2016, 08:49:44 pm »

Odstone had been on sale for quite a while but now looks like it has been sold and a serious amount of work has been carried out on the garden recently.   It has a very large front garden but if I remember correctly from my golfing days the back garden is very small indeed and backs on to the Golfcourse.

Odstone was conceived by Manchester architect, Henry Goldsmith in 1912. He designed and built a house as stunning and awe inspiring as its surroundings and history in an old colonial style.

"Odstone is a truly magical house with gardens that hold their own secrets and a myriad of rooms that whisper through the long corridors of time. Odstone is a chance to buy a piece of history, to lovingly restore a still beautiful old home back to it‘s former glory .

Beautifully conceived and laid out, the house was lovingly designed with 4 large bedrooms, large kitchen, dining areas, a stunning sun terrace overlooking the golf course, a wrap around veranda for 360 degree views and with grounds and gardens. There are some ‘secret living quarters’ on the ground floor and surprises at every twist and turn. The driveway is formed on an old pier wall where Legend has it that Prince Madoc sailed from here in 1170 and landed in Mobile, Alabama.

A Bronze plaque placed on the rockery commemorate this voyage and his great find, a story which has intrigued historians for decades!"

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #454 on: March 18, 2016, 08:35:20 am »
I thought it sad that a number of mature pine trees were cut down as part of the garden clearance. They can be seen in the left hand of the 'before' photo below:

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #455 on: March 18, 2016, 10:25:26 am »
Such a shame to see it like that, I expect demolision will be next, then houses or flats!  &shake&
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Hugo

« Reply #456 on: March 18, 2016, 04:16:06 pm »
It's funny that you say that ME because I hadn't thought of that and I'm a bit of a cynic when it comes to builders and planning applications.
When I have opposed planning applications before I've always made sure that tree preservations (TPO's)  are in place whenever appropriate.
In this case there are now no trees to have TPO's so have the owners of the property jumped the gun and chopped the trees down before the planning application is submitted to CCBC?
Watch this space because you may well be correct because it has been done already on property adjoining the golf course.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #457 on: March 18, 2016, 11:00:37 pm »
I've had a look at the CCBC Planning website but could see no planning application for Odstone, but that is not to say that there won't be one in the future.
Thinking more about what you have said ME,  I was surprised at the way the trees and bushes had indiscriminately been hacked down.  There didn't seem to be any possible way of the garden being sympathetically landscaped in the future.
If there is to be a planning application then that will come later, they may even allow the building to deteriorate like they did at the Penmorfa Hotel in Llandudno and then it'll be easy to obtain planning permission for the demolition of it.
I don't know who has bought the house which had been up for sale for a very long time but if a company has bought it then you know what's coming next.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #458 on: March 19, 2016, 09:51:29 am »
I am in agreement with you Hugo, As we have passed over the last couple of weeks we had the opinion that things were going a step too far. I know that the place was overgrown, had been for years, but........................ It has now lost all the charisma of olden times which it certainly had.
As a child, on holiday, we stayed at one of the houses very near to it which was then an hotel. Thus we often walked past.. when a lot of the road was unmade and the toll booth was there and always used to gaze in through the gates.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #459 on: March 19, 2016, 10:58:01 am »
I knew a couple who lived near me and they told me that they had rented that property while they were searching for a house in Colwyn Bay.  The owner of the property was an Irish man who lived in Dublin.
He must have bought the house on a whim because his wife refused to move from Dublin so eventually he sold it.

Builders will try anything to get to their objective and the Penmorfa Hotel in Llandudno is a classic example of what they are prepared to do

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #460 on: March 19, 2016, 02:34:48 pm »
It appeared on a local Facebook group a few days ago, sadly it seemed pretty certsin what it's fate is, a great shame, terrible seeing the trees hacked down a few weeks ago!  :-[
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #461 on: March 19, 2016, 04:53:49 pm »
Odstone has been on the market for over 2 years now plenty  of time for all the complainants  to stomp up some money and by it.There was a time when houses like these were  in demand but not anymore, options ?turn it into a guest house ,flats,or a very high end residence which to comply with current  building regs would require  such  alterations  the current character of the building would  be destroyed. No its time is up unfortunately as i have fond memories  of the house .

Offline Hugo

« Reply #462 on: March 19, 2016, 06:54:52 pm »
I was walking my dog tonight and met a friend and during our conversation we discussed Odstone.   I knew that Robin Jones had owned the Golf Course and has done a lot of work to improve it but according to my friend Robin had now sold the club.
My friend advised me that the person who bought the Golf Club also bought Odstone so if that is correct, and I have no proof that it is, then it would be a prime site for development into a hotel or such like for the Golf Club

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #463 on: March 20, 2016, 01:14:25 am »
That might not be such a bad thing Hugo,  the house is dilapidated and the golf course is quite poor, any improvement in that area might not be a disaster
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

« Reply #464 on: March 20, 2016, 01:33:15 pm »
Robin Jones did a good job of improving the Golf Course and the club house and if the new owners continue with improvements then it could be a good thing for the club and the area in general.