Author Topic: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea  (Read 319340 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea
« Reply #435 on: August 06, 2015, 05:20:33 pm »
Rhino relocation to Rhos-on-Sea triggers police appeal

The relocation of a giant model rhino to Hickory’s Smokehouse in Rhos-on-Sea triggered a police appeal.
Otis the rhino had been stood outside Hickory’s restaurant in Chester for four years until bosses decided it was time for him to have a break by the seaside in North Wales.

Unfortunately they had not told the whole team at the Chester restaurant and when a waitress noticed the flame covered Otis was gone on Wednesday night.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/rhino-hickorys-chester-rhos-sea-9805390 &shake&

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #436 on: August 27, 2015, 12:04:36 pm »
Rhos on Sea rotarians to honour Welsh prince with Bank Holiday voyage
INTREPID Rotarians will follow in the footsteps of one of Wales’ greatest explorers with a Bank Holiday voyage.

Legend has it that the Welsh Prince, Madoc sailed from the ancient harbour of Rhos-on-Sea in the year 1169 and, heading west, discovered America long before Christopher Columbus in the 16th Century.
It is said that, following the death of his father Owain Gwynedd ap Gruffydd, Prince of Gwynedd, he and his brother Riryd, set out for the new world in two small ships and made landfall near Mobile, Alabama, USA, in 1170.
A plaque at Fort Morgan records his arrival there.

In 2009 the Rotary Club of Rhos-on-Sea, in celebration of his great achievement, first entered the Chester Raft Race with a longship lookalike named after the prince.
Since then it has had several outings on Llandudno and Rhos promenades, helping raise cash for local charities, but has not yet ventured to sea.

This Monday, August 31 the Prince Madoc will sail again from Rhos Harbour and head to Porth Eirias.
The journey starts at 11am and should end on Porth Eirias beach at 12.30pm.
A club spokesman, said: “The Rotary Club is not only aiming to increase the awareness of the Prince Madoc legend but trying to raise funds for local charities, particularly St David’s Hospice.

“To hear the full Prince Madoc story just turn up at Porth Eirias on Bank holiday Monday and, if you like the story, chuck a few coins in the sailors buckets.”

The group hope to make the voyage an annual event and discussions are ongoing for a new Sea Carnival along the shore.
http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/152010/rhos-on-sea-rotarians-to-honour-welsh-prince-with-bank-holiday-voyage.aspx

Offline wally

« Reply #437 on: September 17, 2015, 07:53:58 am »
The Co-op have withdrawn their planning application for the conversion of Geordies. Does anyone have any more information?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #438 on: September 17, 2015, 08:43:47 am »
The Co-op have withdrawn their planning application for the conversion of Geordies. Does anyone have any more information?
Maybe they are modifying their application, perhaps?

This was the latest news I could find online:
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/rhos-sea-co-operative-store-9714462

Offline wally

« Reply #439 on: September 18, 2015, 02:13:34 pm »
That's probably it, Dave.

The reason for my question was that the story appeared in the Post on the 27th July but the planning application wasn't withdrawn until the 7th Sept. I assumed, perhaps wrongly, that there had been further developments.

Things seem to be moving very slowly, in contrast with the speed with which Geordies was closed down.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #440 on: September 18, 2015, 07:59:29 pm »
  I hope for the Coops sake this is not the case. However ---- I have seen over the years a few petrol filling stations closed down permanently and I have vaguely noticed that after all the buildings pumps etc are cleared away what looks like some type of filters are drilled down into the ground presumably where the storage tanks once were. Above ground they are only a foot or two high and look like vents. And they stay there a very long time. Not months, more like years. One example was the ex Esso site on the left as you enter Rhyl from the blue bridge. The main area, the fair and downtown club etc were cleared and boarded up, as they still are. But where the Esso was it was just protected with mesh nettings and you could see these vents. Don't ask me how long but its certainly two years and maybe 3 or 4. Its only fairly recently been boarded up with the rest of the land.
   Does this mean that land which held petrol storage pumps has to be ventilated before it can return to normal use? If so, Rhos is going to have a long wait for their local coop.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #441 on: September 28, 2015, 09:03:06 pm »
   Aberhod. is coming along nicely thank you very much.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #442 on: September 29, 2015, 09:30:47 am »
   Aberhod. is coming along nicely thank you very much.
...at long last! They must have been working on that site for getting on for three years now.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #443 on: October 17, 2015, 08:27:19 pm »
 Aberhod. DaveR is correct that the work there has been going on for 3 years. But you wouldn't believe it now. There has visually been more done in the last three weeks than in the previous three years, and it really is looking very nice.
 So it looks as if the previous 3 yrs has been spent fighting planning, maybe legal disputes, getting permissions off goodness knows who, and general paper work and having to change their plans, change of use etc.
  I not too sure I should write this because I have no idea whether it is correct or not. Its just a possible guess. A change of the main contractors for whatever reason?

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #444 on: October 19, 2015, 09:03:24 am »
Here's a story from the Daily Post which should evoke some strong feelings :

"A pensioner’s determination to feed the birds in her garden has made life a misery for neighbours, a court was told.

Each morning flocks of pigeons, jackdaws and seagulls descend on Brenda Hawkins’ lawn and wall when she puts out her seed mixture and other food. The birds’ droppings soil her neighbours’ washing hanging on the lines, their cars are continually splattered and they feel threatened by “divebombing” birds.

“There are sometimes 80-100 large birds, mainly pigeons and the noise of the jackdaws is horrendous,” said Linda Jones, anti-social behaviour officer with Conwy County Borough Council.

Speaking at Llandudno magistrates’ court on Saturday, she said that 74-year-old Hawkins had refused to accept advice about merely using a bird feeder which would be inaccessible to larger birds.

Hawkins, of Brookfield Drive, Rhos-on-Sea, pleaded not guilty to comply with a Community Protection Notice (CPN) served on her in June, a step which was taken after previous attempts to persuade her to reduce the nuisance had failed.

Prosecutor Julia Longworth said that CPNs were introduced last year to deal with conduct considered detrimental to the quality of life through unreasonable behaviour.
'My conscience is clear'

Linda Jones said she became aware of the problem in May 2014, and Hawkins was written to in July of that year, but she continued to feed the birds. She ignored advice and when told in April this year she could face legal action Hawkins replied: “I’ll go to jail first.”

Diane Fredman, whose garden in Cambrian Drive backs onto the Hawkins’ garden, said she moved into the area six years ago to enjoy retirement.

“We have not been able to do so because of the number of birds,” she said. Asked if the situation had improved since the CPN was served on Hawkins in June, she replied: “They are still there every day, the same volume and mess. It is very stressful.”

Hawkins said: “I think pigeons are wonderful birds and they don’t make a mess. They cannot defecate when they are flying."

Full story:  http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/conwy-pensioner-fined-refusing-stop-10285184#rlabs=4%20rt$category%20p$1
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #445 on: October 19, 2015, 12:56:35 pm »
This is near us, thankfully does not involve us. There is another side to the story that sadly has not been reported, the usual story of New people moving in and not liking what is already there.
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline llewelyn

« Reply #446 on: October 19, 2015, 02:37:24 pm »
I had a similar problem in Conwy, the lady would throw food onto her flat roof twice a day, the noise and mess was unbearable, also, as many rats live within the walls of the town, they were also turning up. I did ask her to stop to no avail, so asked the council to help, an official visited and thank goodness the feeding stopped.  one other neighbor feeds the birds using a bird feeder, so only small birds attend, the rats still visit occasionally to pick up the seed the birds drop.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #447 on: February 01, 2016, 08:25:25 pm »

Offline Neil

« Reply #448 on: March 05, 2016, 09:36:23 pm »
On the beach this afternoon, about 6 feet long, it looks like a Porpoise to me.

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #449 on: March 08, 2016, 10:32:07 am »
Hi Neil, how sad! Can the Daily Post use this picture please?
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.