Author Topic: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea  (Read 319329 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea
« Reply #405 on: June 12, 2015, 05:01:35 pm »
I remember Rhos County Garage, from the 50/60s ......My Father started work there in 1938 and returned after the war in 46, for a short period....... as Gwynant said before, owned by W. Wooller there were also a family called Clark who lived there.

Hope this works, .......my Fathers letter of reference from the garage dated 16th Nov. 1946.....

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #406 on: June 12, 2015, 05:59:57 pm »
  In reply to DaveR. Daihardwelshman has settled the Penrhyn Service Station. Its still in the same place, its just that the flats were built between it and Penrhyn Avenue so it is hidden. The flats were built on a concrete platform which was the home for Cromwell tanks and Self-propelled guns which were used for training the Gunners before off to North Africa. As to the other site, as far as I know it was never a "garage" as such. It was owned by Pyes coaches in their prime. All the maintenance on all the fleet, which was extensive , was done here and there would have been fuel pumps installed.
   Pyes went into serious decline and at some stage they moved the maintenance, such little as there was, up to Princes Drive in the Bay. Presumably the buildings were pulled down and the land sold. There must have been a long period of time between moving out and the flats being built. I don't know what, if anything, went on there during this time.
  Just out of interest around 20 years ago the grandson of the "old man" Jonnie Pye showed me a folder of very nice original black and white photos of the Pye empire from immediately after the war period. One he proudly showed was a six in hand stagecoach with all the immaculate horses plus a trumpeter (or whatever they are called) riding up front, the driver, the stagecoach, and Jonnie Pye himself in black top hat and tails standing alongside.  Jessie, the grandson, said to me "this was taken in Princes Drive." I looked at it and immediately I knew he was wrong. Clearly in the photo there was a tram standard, quite unmistakable, so it had to be alongside the tram route. I told him, sorry, Jess, I know more about your family than you do. The was taken outside the garage in Penrhyn Avenue. Big laughs all round.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #407 on: June 13, 2015, 10:43:53 am »
Tidal lagoon between Rhos on Sea and Prestatyn would be 'much larger' than Swansea project

A TIDAL lagoon between Rhos on Sea and Prestatyn would be 'much larger' than the project given the go ahead in Swansea last week.
Tidal Lagoon Power has been granted planning permission by the Energy Secretary Amber Rudd for the world’s first ever tidal lagoon energy project to be built in Swansea Bay by British company Tidal Lagoon Power.

Tidal Lagoon Power has been undertaking early feasibility and consultation work for nearly two years for the Colwyn Bay scheme and in March the £30million plan was one of six lagoon sites based throughout the country shortlisted for development.
The lagoon would stretch from Rhos Point and Prestatyn.

David Jones, Clwyd West MP, said: “I am very pleased that the Swansea lagoon has been given the go-ahead by the Government.

“There is considerable interest in the Colwyn Bay proposal, which would be for a much larger lagoon, with a projected generating capacity several times that of Wylfa nuclear power station.

"It would bring employment to Colwyn Bay, provide energy security for the whole country, and act as a line of coastal defence. It therefore deserves serious consideration.

“I had a meeting with one of the proposed developers last week, and will be meeting another group in the next few days.”
A spokesman for Tidal Lagoon Power said: "A Tidal Lagoon in Colwyn Bay is a huge opportunity for North Wales.

"Not only can we harness the power of the tides to generate low-carbon electricity, we can also deliver a range of economic, social and environmental benefits to the region.

"Early feasibility and consultation work has been underway for nearly two years in Colwyn Bay. We remain very encouraged by the enthusiastic support shown to date by local people and very much hope that this will be one of the five full-scale tidal lagoons that we go on to develop after Swansea Bay."

When fully constructed the Swansea tidal lagoon will have an installed capacity of 320 megawatts, enough to generate renewable electricity to power 155,000 homes.
REF NWpioneer

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #408 on: June 14, 2015, 07:51:12 pm »
  In reply to SteveH's post a couple of days ago re Rhos County Garage. The Clark family you mention. Brian Clark was in school with me, in the Scouts with me, we both went out with the same girl (he eventually married her so I'm not sure who was the winner!!!). His Father was to all effects in charge of the garage, and they lived in part of the building between the workshops and the car salesrooms. Oh, and by the way, it wasn't where the Spar is now. It was to the right of the Spar building. The Spar was J.Irwins Grocers, a very large, probably the largest, grocers in North Wales at that time. Eventually taken over by Tesco who I guess closed it down at some time.
  Brian was very successful in his job as a telephone engineer and went quite high up the promotion ladder. The last I heard of him he lived close to the Rhos parish church.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #409 on: June 14, 2015, 08:19:06 pm »
Thanks for that Mike.... $good$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #410 on: June 15, 2015, 10:36:44 am »
I remember Rhos County Garage, from the 50/60s ......My Father started work there in 1938 and returned after the war in 46, for a short period....... as Gwynant said before, owned by W. Wooller there were also a family called Clark who lived there.

Hope this works, .......my Fathers letter of reference from the garage dated 16th Nov. 1946.....
I seem to remember it was an Audi Dealer back in the 1980s? Found this aerial pic of it from back then:

[smg id=2643]

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #411 on: June 15, 2015, 10:39:54 am »
  In reply to DaveR. Daihardwelshman has settled the Penrhyn Service Station. Its still in the same place, its just that the flats were built between it and Penrhyn Avenue so it is hidden. The flats were built on a concrete platform which was the home for Cromwell tanks and Self-propelled guns which were used for training the Gunners before off to North Africa. As to the other site, as far as I know it was never a "garage" as such. It was owned by Pyes coaches in their prime. All the maintenance on all the fleet, which was extensive , was done here and there would have been fuel pumps installed.
   Pyes went into serious decline and at some stage they moved the maintenance, such little as there was, up to Princes Drive in the Bay. Presumably the buildings were pulled down and the land sold. There must have been a long period of time between moving out and the flats being built. I don't know what, if anything, went on there during this time.
  Just out of interest around 20 years ago the grandson of the "old man" Jonnie Pye showed me a folder of very nice original black and white photos of the Pye empire from immediately after the war period. One he proudly showed was a six in hand stagecoach with all the immaculate horses plus a trumpeter (or whatever they are called) riding up front, the driver, the stagecoach, and Jonnie Pye himself in black top hat and tails standing alongside.  Jessie, the grandson, said to me "this was taken in Princes Drive." I looked at it and immediately I knew he was wrong. Clearly in the photo there was a tram standard, quite unmistakable, so it had to be alongside the tram route. I told him, sorry, Jess, I know more about your family than you do. The was taken outside the garage in Penrhyn Avenue. Big laughs all round.
Thanks for the info, Mike. I remember Pyes Coaches well, went on many a school trip with them. When they sold their Princes Drive site, they moved to a piece of land by the Crematorium in Mochdre, an open site that ensured the coaches got regularly vandalised.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #412 on: June 20, 2015, 01:07:54 pm »
Rhos on sea to me is sentimental nostalgia, childhood memories, a charm all of it's own.....looking around now at some of the shop signage, I cannot believe the level it has reached, vulgar springs to mind,.... who allows this,is there no control................Rhyl on Sea.... :(....... $angry$ ...... &shake&

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #413 on: June 20, 2015, 02:17:03 pm »
Rhos on sea to me is sentimental nostalgia, childhood memories, a charm all of it's own.....looking around now at some of the shop signage, I cannot believe the level it has reached, vulgar springs to mind,.... who allows this,is there no control................Rhyl on Sea.... :(....... $angry$ ...... &shake&

But you've not noticed a similar trend in Llandudno Steve??   ?{}? ?{}? *&(
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SteveH

« Reply #414 on: June 20, 2015, 03:14:58 pm »
Rhos on sea to me is sentimental nostalgia, childhood memories, a charm all of it's own.....looking around now at some of the shop signage, I cannot believe the level it has reached, vulgar springs to mind,.... who allows this,is there no control................Rhyl on Sea....
But you've not noticed a similar trend in Llandudno Steve?? 

Of course I have, Fester, and I've said so in the past as part of a long list of changes I would like to see in Llandudno, but Rhos being my "ancestral" home and being much smaller than Llandudno, the problem to me stands out.
The businesses need to get together and sort it out, Conwy did it a few years ago, and as Rhos will be part of the new Colwyn Bay BID, now is the perfect opportunity to do so.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #415 on: June 20, 2015, 08:52:59 pm »
 Vulgar signage in Rhos? I don't believe it.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #416 on: June 20, 2015, 09:17:27 pm »
  Just for historical reasons, incase anyone is misled in 100 yrs  time regarding the decline and fall of Pyes coaches. DaveR refers to the plot of land by the creme where the remains of this once proud fleet spent their last days. They didn't move there AFTER the Princes drive site was sold. They moved before, and for a very short time operated both in a haphazard fashion.
   The reason for the move was Jessie, who by that time was the only remaining member of the family, was a drinking partner with a Bill Dodd who was a market trader and had a shop in Abergele Road. He had run a sunday market at Plas Coch in Anglesea so knew a bit
 about it, and he and Jessie decided to use the Princes Drive land as a market. I think twice a week. So no room for coaches. The original booking office was still there and still used by Pyes. If you could get in through the rubbish.
  The final end came suddenly. They held an auction of all the old buses. I was there. A few pounds changed hands, probably not enough to pay the auctioneer. We all went back to the booking office and Jessie opened some mail. One was tax or VAT or something, well into the thousands. I remember him burying his head in his hands and saying now what can I do?
 Shortly afterwards the A55 development arrived, took a lot of the land, refused to let Jessie have a small parcel of land which was his because they wanted it to provide visual shrubbery for A55 users. Its still there, driving West come out of the tunnel and look up to your left. You will see a few bushes. That broke Jessies heart. That was the final straw.

Offline temperancellandudno

• Management board member
« Reply #417 on: June 20, 2015, 10:30:25 pm »
Hello everyone!

Well, I've been to Rhos today - torrential rain around Flint, but then sunshine as I arrived there. I think the place is looking up, frankly - had lunch in a nice new café, very pleasant. And the second hand bookshop is still there!

As is....well, here I go again. What on earth is going on with THAT building formerly known as Aberhod? The latest seems to be that the top parts of the gables seem to have been removed and replaced in new materials. I have some knowledge of property development and the approach to this scheme, such as it is, has been weird. it seems to have been going on slowly for ages, with a roof on and then off, bits built up and taken down....very strange.

Has anyone any idea when this scheme might be completed, and what it will look like?

Take care all

T

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #418 on: June 26, 2015, 09:22:50 am »
Hello everyone!

Well, I've been to Rhos today - torrential rain around Flint, but then sunshine as I arrived there. I think the place is looking up, frankly - had lunch in a nice new café, very pleasant. And the second hand bookshop is still there!

As is....well, here I go again. What on earth is going on with THAT building formerly known as Aberhod? The latest seems to be that the top parts of the gables seem to have been removed and replaced in new materials. I have some knowledge of property development and the approach to this scheme, such as it is, has been weird. it seems to have been going on slowly for ages, with a roof on and then off, bits built up and taken down....very strange.

Has anyone any idea when this scheme might be completed, and what it will look like?

Take care all

T
It's the most bizarre building project I've ever seen. Very little of the original building now remains, a real shame.  &shake&

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #419 on: June 26, 2015, 09:23:31 am »
The former HSBC in Rhos is now the 'Red Sails' Tapas Bar: