Author Topic: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea  (Read 319297 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea
« Reply #390 on: June 04, 2015, 04:55:59 pm »
BANKS CHALLENGED: Plans by NatWest to close three of its branches in Gwynedd - including the only remaining bank in Abersoch - have been challenged by Plaid Cymru MP for Dwyfor Meirionnydd, Liz Saville Roberts. She said: “Feports regarding the future of NatWest branches in Abersoch, Blaenau Ffestiniog and Tywyn are extremely worrying. The impending closure of these branches will be a devastating blow to local residents, and businesses, especially those who cannot drive, the elderly and disabled people."....refDP.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #391 on: June 04, 2015, 05:11:57 pm »
I seem to recall that Nat West ran an advertising campaign to entice people to bank with them, rather than online banks such as First Direct.   
They made out they are the community bank, a friendly human approach... and they were OPENING MORE branches, with extended hours so that they were a convenient High St experience.

Nothing could be further from the truth.  I don't know how they get away with it.

In my main bank, The Halifax, every week they try to coerce me to use the paying in machines, and every week I firmly and politely refuse.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #392 on: June 04, 2015, 09:52:01 pm »
  My favourite thread having grown up in Rhos on Sea.  Living in a bank flat over one of the SIX banks in Rhos at that time. Four in Everard Road.   The only one not represented was Williams Deacons.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #393 on: June 05, 2015, 09:45:06 am »
I seem to recall that Nat West ran an advertising campaign to entice people to bank with them, rather than online banks such as First Direct.   
They made out they are the community bank, a friendly human approach... and they were OPENING MORE branches, with extended hours so that they were a convenient High St experience.

Nothing could be further from the truth.  I don't know how they get away with it.
I remember that, too.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2101380/Watchdog-bans-misleading-NatWest-adverts-promising-stay-local-shuts-rural-branches.html

Offline Daihardwelshman

« Reply #394 on: June 11, 2015, 10:47:08 am »
I see that Geordies garage (or Spar) has closed down. I believe that it is to  :oopen in October as a Co Op but without the petrol forecourt.

To my mind that makes three co ops between penrhyn Bay and Rhos..... :o

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #395 on: June 11, 2015, 11:49:08 am »
I see that Geordies garage (or Spar) has closed down. I believe that it is to  :oopen in October as a Co Op but without the petrol forecourt.

I saw that it was all fenced off yesterday, thought they were installing new pumps. Shame if they lose the petrol station.

Offline Mikethewatch

« Reply #396 on: June 11, 2015, 03:24:37 pm »

I always avoided buying fuel there as there was no dedicated till for fuel.
Got fed up waiting behind half a dozen people doing the weekly shop, to pay

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #397 on: June 11, 2015, 08:15:42 pm »
  Sorry Mike the watch but this applies in virtually all the non-supermarket fuel outlets. Even the mega big motorway ones. They just cannot afford the staff to man the till for one car very 15 minutes.
  I'm sorry about this, it stirs up very unhappy memories. I go back to Neville Bannister. Garage owner of this site going back to around 1948. Far side of Glan Conwy on the left you still see an operating garage called "Nevs Garage." The same man. He owned them both.
  His Son was roughly the same age as me. And like a lot o f us, collecting seagulls eggs was the craze of the time. I lived to tell the tale. Neville's Son, I cannot remember his name, didn't. Killed falling off rocks on either the Little or Great Orme. His Father never got over this, he took it very badly. Running garages were the last thing on his mind.

Offline white rabbit

• I'm late, I'm late!
« Reply #398 on: June 11, 2015, 08:26:40 pm »
Mike - wasn't his son called Barney Bannister and wasn't it the Little Orme??  Can't really remember

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #399 on: June 11, 2015, 08:48:41 pm »
 No, I don't remember his name nor where. I THINK he was probably a bit younger than me. Mind you, nowadays, everyone is a bit younger than me

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #400 on: June 12, 2015, 08:44:20 am »
Thanks Ormegolf.  Reference to the garage jogged some cogs.  I think Neville owned small chain of garages, usually named after family members - there was another in Glan Conwy - Pat's Garage - still there but sells cars now.  There was one in Tyn y Groes opposite the Red Lion and another in Tal y Bont.  One was called Maggy's but I don't recall the other.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #401 on: June 12, 2015, 09:06:09 am »
Speaking of garages, I was in Rhos the other day and reminded of two garages that disappeared in the 80s(?) but which were definitely there when I was a kid.

First one was on the corner of Church Drive and Penrhyn Avenue.

Second one was next to the park on Penrhyn Avenue.

I've attached photos of the locations below, both now house blocks of flats.

Maybe Mike or Cambrian can remember a little more about them?

Offline Daihardwelshman

« Reply #402 on: June 12, 2015, 10:14:58 am »
Gwyn still has his garage behind there on cranford crescent, Penrhyn Service station.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #403 on: June 12, 2015, 10:19:21 am »
              There was also a garage and filling station on the corner of Penrhyn Ave and Colwyn Ave where the Spar is now Dave. It was known as Rhos County Garage and I think was owned by the Wooller family, one of whom was Wilf Wooller who played international rugby for Wales in the 1930's and also cricket for Glamorgan.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #404 on: June 12, 2015, 12:35:00 pm »
We live just down the road from Georges / Spar shop, I did occasionally get fuel there, usually if off to a classic car show early in the morning!  We were told  today that it will be a Co op, but with no petrol station. They  are currently dismantling  the petrol station and staff were loading stock into a Spar truck this morning.
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas