Author Topic: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea  (Read 319296 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea
« Reply #330 on: May 31, 2014, 04:29:37 pm »
What a beautiful sunny day in Rhos today with a nice sea breeze to stop you overheating.     An ideal day for another ice cream ( my 3rd this week)  so I stopped by the little St Trillo's Chapel and had another vanilla cornet,    $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #331 on: June 21, 2014, 10:51:21 am »
 Dolphins were spotted just off shore and near St Trillo's Chapel on Thursday at 3.30 pm.    I'll have a look today and it'll be a good excuse to stop and have another of those delicious ice creams!    $happy$

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #332 on: June 21, 2014, 12:20:50 pm »
I trust it will be complimentary.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #333 on: June 22, 2014, 10:10:59 am »
I trust it will be complimentary.

I wish it was and I could go there more often!         $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #334 on: June 23, 2014, 11:17:18 am »
It was lovely driving through Rhos in the warm sunshine yesterday and seeing hordes of people on the front enjoying themselves.  I noticed that the new improved section of the sandy beach was open and that there were many families on it taking advantage of the weather.
There was a parking space by St Trillo's Chapel so I just had to stop and have another vanilla ice cream.     $good$    There was a guy there with a Nikon camera and apparently he had been taking photos of the Dolphins when they were in the sea nearby.   His 400 x zoom lens put my compact camera to shame

Offline temperancellandudno

« Reply #335 on: August 08, 2014, 09:48:23 pm »
Hello everyone

I was in Rhos again today. I posted about the Aberhod on May 27th. At that time there were contractors on site, and I watched the apparently careful removal of a chimney stack.

Today, there seem to be no contractors on site, and all that is left of the Aberhod is a series of walls, one of which is in breezeblock (and thus not original).

Has anyone any idea what is happening? Have the owners or contractors become insolvent?

Take care everyone

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #336 on: August 11, 2014, 08:58:38 am »
Hello everyone

I was in Rhos again today. I posted about the Aberhod on May 27th. At that time there were contractors on site, and I watched the apparently careful removal of a chimney stack.

Today, there seem to be no contractors on site, and all that is left of the Aberhod is a series of walls, one of which is in breezeblock (and thus not original).

Has anyone any idea what is happening? Have the owners or contractors become insolvent?

Take care everyone

T
No-one seems to know anything about what's going on. One thing for sure is that they have wrecked that lovely old house.  A shame that someone's greed has left us with this eyesore. &shake&

I remember when I was a child, it was a private house completely hidden from the road by dense shrubbery. I also remember attending an auction of the contents sometime in the 1980s when the person that lived there died.

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #337 on: August 11, 2014, 09:11:43 am »
I have been contacted by a member of staff on Aberhod who assures me, although I'm not sure I believe him, everything is on track.

He said: "It was stripped for safety reasons. The roof took a battering from the high winds and so did the masonry. Some of the stone work had become that loose that it too was a safety concern. It will be getting rebuilt and re pointed with the original style lime mortar."

After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #338 on: August 11, 2014, 09:20:57 am »
Thanks for the update, Tom. The whole thing seems very odd to me.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #339 on: August 11, 2014, 10:30:14 am »
Anybody Know the the original history, I (think) I was told, a long time ago, that Aberhod was a farmhouse and Rhos was built on its land.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #340 on: August 11, 2014, 10:41:03 am »
Anybody Know the the original history, I (think) I was told, a long time ago, that Aberhod was a farmhouse and Rhos was built on its land.
That's pretty much correct. A few hundred years ago, Aberhod and the Rhos Fynach were the only buildings in what is now Rhos On Sea. Aberhod used to have very large gardens, these were gradually sold off for development over the years.

The Auction of Aberhod's Contents I referred to earlier was this one:

"On the Instructions of the Executors for the Late Miss Millicent Ford, Aberhod, Cayley Promenade, Rhos-on-Sea, Colwyn Bay, Clwyd: Catalogue of the Contents : Including Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century Furniture and Clocks, Edwardian Satinwood Furniture, Carpets and Rugs, Oriental and European Porcelain, Silver and Plated Ware, Jewellery, Works of Art and Metalwork, Oil Paintings and Watercolours, Two Pianofortes and Garden Ornaments : Sotheby Beresford Adams ... Chester ... in Conjunction with Baddeley & Baddeley ... Colwyn Bay ... Will Sell by Auction at the House on Monday, 17th March 1980"

Norman Tucker's excellent book 'Colwyn Bay - Its Origin & Growth' will have more info, I'm sure.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #341 on: August 11, 2014, 10:58:56 am »
Thanks for that D.  Part of what I was told, is that, My great grandmothers family were linked to Aberhod, I do know she lived in the fishermens cottages next the Cayley, and later owned "Ocean View" one of the big houses on the front, were my father was born, I cannot put my hands on the family history for sometime, in storage, but intend to do a bit of research later.

Offline temperancellandudno

« Reply #342 on: August 24, 2014, 08:58:09 pm »
Thanks everyone

And especially Tom!

Well, I went past a couple of days ago, and nothing much had changed since my last visit. Unless this was in the original scheme, when the development costs will have been calculated, this demolition work must have added considerably to said costs, and perhaps to the viability of the whole scheme. I have a fair amount of experience of development, and this approach - it all fell down in the storms - seems very strange.

Anyway, lets hope the place does get rebuilt, and retains some of its character.

Thanks again

T

Offline SteveH

« Reply #343 on: August 25, 2014, 11:18:22 am »
I'm beginning to get the impression, they are just waiting for more bad weather, to finish what they started.
Looking at it now, and remembering what it looked like, maybe I'm living in the past, but if it is allowed to disappear
it will be a crying shame, and they could get away with it, it's not listed, how could a building built in 1763 with it's history not be listed.
Reading Norman Tuckers book     "Colwyn Bay"          I did not realise how important Rhos was in North Wales, (thank you Dave)  buildings like Aberhod should not end up like this, how many others?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #344 on: August 25, 2014, 12:42:00 pm »
Steve,  I may be cynical in my old age but I've seen it happen so many times before in this area that I don't trust building companies.  The Penmorfa Hotel in Llandudno is a good example and there have also been a number of listed buildings in the area where the developer has applied to demolish the building to build flats and their application has been refused.    When the application has been turned down the building has mysteriously burnt down and then the CCBC have had no alternative other than to grant permission for the new development to go ahead.
I hope that I am proved wrong but only time will tell.      It's not uncommon for these building firms to use every loophole possible in order that they can maximise profits as can be seen in the local papers on a regular basis.