Author Topic: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea  (Read 319319 times)

Offline Tosh

Re: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea
« Reply #240 on: December 22, 2012, 12:24:42 pm »
Go to this link and you might find that it is the Stanislav Yudin and it is working on the wind farm.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #241 on: December 22, 2012, 02:12:38 pm »
 I asked a friend who is an expert on all things to do with shipping. Here is his answer.

it is the Crane Barge STANISLAV UDIN which is used for putting the bases
in at GYM.
I think they are anchoring here for the Christmas holidays with a number of
supporting tugs. The tug is the BREMEN FIGHTER.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #242 on: December 22, 2012, 05:29:45 pm »
Thanks very much Tosh and Nemesis for your replies. At the moment the ship is moored in the same position and looks nice lit up for the night.
Thats an interesting link to shipping.   $good$

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #243 on: December 22, 2012, 07:37:27 pm »
Wouldn't it be nice if it had come in to do the repair work on the landing stage at the end of the pier. But that's to much to hope for. I*
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Tosh

« Reply #244 on: December 22, 2012, 07:43:37 pm »
I always have a look at the shipping that is around the coast.
Once in a while float up to Scotland and see the new D class destroyers on sea trials out of the Glasgow shipyards.
If you can stand the pace go down to the English Channel and you'll be amazed at the number of ships passing through there.
Enjoy.
Tosh

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #245 on: December 23, 2012, 08:56:47 am »
Thanks to my informed friend I have followed a few of these links, not that I know alot on the subject, but it is always interesting to know what is what.
Here's a similar one
http://www.shipais.com/index.php
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #246 on: December 27, 2012, 04:28:42 pm »
In other news, Stevie Wonder has been called in to paint the former HSBC branch in Rhos:

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #247 on: December 27, 2012, 06:02:54 pm »
 :o I'm surprised he didn't paint that green cabinet to match that delightful colour scheme!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #248 on: December 28, 2012, 07:20:48 pm »
       I am the last person on earth to make fun of anyone with any kind of disability. But both the people I am about to write about have obviously long since died and it is highly unlikely that anyone close to them should read this.
       The time would be around the late 1930s. The shop on DaveR,s photo on the left traded under the name of "Ida Turnbull." ladies outfitters, run by Ida Turnbull. Unfortunately for her she suffered from a terrible twitch which forced her to constantly and suddenly fling her head and neck to one side virtually every half minute or so. You must admire her, she was also the main star in the Colwyn Bay light opera society, she always took the lead female roll. Apparently she had the voice of an angel, and when she had a particularly long note to sing, not a sign of the twitch. The moment she closed her mouth she would erupt into two or three strong twitches.
  Right next door down Rhos Road was a shoe shop. Run by a man, name unknown to me. But his nickname to everyone, adults and kids, was "nodder."  As you will guess he had an uncontroled need to nod his head constantly, the shop was always referred to as Nodders.
  A strange coincidence that they were neighbours. They must have both had strong characters. In those less tolerant days they must both have suffered torment, if only from kids. 

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #249 on: December 29, 2012, 08:05:12 am »
A number of stammerers can sing without any problems, Mike.  Presumably a similar mechanism is at work.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline stewbow

« Reply #250 on: March 09, 2013, 12:16:38 pm »
I noticed this morning that the Aberhod development has now included double glazed windows in the front of the building.
I'm just wondering how the people affected by the PVC window policy in Llandudno  are thinking about this development

Stuart

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #251 on: March 09, 2013, 04:29:59 pm »
The rather tatty upvc windows were installed when it was a restaurant. The Planning Permission for the conversion to housing includes their replacement with wooden sash windows.

Offline stewbow

« Reply #252 on: March 10, 2013, 08:53:26 am »
I may be mistaken, but wooden frames don't normally go in white and glazed, from the site perimitter they look plastic

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #253 on: March 10, 2013, 09:04:47 am »
Are you sure they aren't the old windows? When I went past the other day, it still had the white UPVc windows in, that were installed a few years ago. Here's a photo I took last December showing the upvc windows:
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 05:41:23 pm by DaveR »

Offline stewbow

« Reply #254 on: March 11, 2013, 05:13:36 pm »
I think they are the old ones :o

stuart