Author Topic: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea  (Read 319297 times)

Offline white rabbit

• I'm late, I'm late!
Re: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea
« Reply #195 on: September 09, 2011, 07:29:37 pm »
Pinningtons closed because the Pinningtons died

Offline emma p

« Reply #196 on: September 09, 2011, 07:50:59 pm »
This incident earlier doesn't sound very pleasant.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-14825132

I hope all the kids will be alright.

Must be a nationwide problem at the mo........first week back at school and the wasps stings we have treated too numerous to mention.
Even parents are getting stung....theres an alleyway opposite school with a particularly viscious nest apparently. Time of year i suppose.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #197 on: September 09, 2011, 09:07:28 pm »
Thanks, White Rabbit. Although I knew the cafe for all my young life, I never once entered the doors nor knew who the Pinningtons were. However it still appears unusual. If you have a business and there is, apparently,a mega demand, the death of the family owners doesent usually mean the death of the business. Far from it. So I am still puzzled (though I'm not going to loose any sleep over it). Why did Pinningtons close?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #198 on: September 10, 2011, 07:54:21 am »
They did not have any family to pass the business on to and Harry Pinnington and his wife Louie were quite old and may have actually sold the business before their demise, I am not exactly certain.   Who ever knows the real ins and outs of peoples lives?    :D

If it was sold then you can now turn your attention to whoever took the business over!    WWW
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #199 on: September 10, 2011, 10:01:50 pm »
Thanks Yorkie. The Pinningtons must have been a good age because the cafe was there, under that name, in 1936. Maybe even a lot earlier.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #200 on: September 10, 2011, 10:15:43 pm »
The Pinningtons (Rhos On Sea) Ltd company is still going strong, I suspect it owns the property that was the old shop and which is now let to William Hill. A Mr & Mrs Bates own it.

http://bizzy.co.uk/uk/00818771/pinningtons-rhosonsea

Offline Trojan

« Reply #201 on: September 13, 2011, 11:01:14 am »
I seem to remember Pinningtons had a shop in Penrhyn Ave as well as Rhos Road.

Can anyone confirm this?

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #202 on: September 13, 2011, 03:05:55 pm »
 There was a cake shop opposite the old Rhos Playhouse (bughouse) which opened up at the end of the war with what we thought was most exotic foods, vanilla slices for example. It might even have been there in the war years, but it wouldnt have been able to bake anything like that. I think, and only think, it was connected with Pinningtons cafe, might even have been the same people. Funny I cannot be sure, I can still remember the man from there and I can picture him giving me a terrific dressing down because he reckoned I nearly caused a car accident with him in Mochdre. I reckoned he was driving too fast.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #203 on: September 14, 2011, 05:40:18 am »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #204 on: December 30, 2011, 08:39:15 am »
The piece in the NWWN about regeneration of Rhos On Sea is a classic example of blinkered CCBC and Councillor thinking.

Now councillors Merfyn Thomas, Phil Edwards, Dave Roberts and Roger Parry are organising a public meeting to gauge public views on how Rhos-on-Sea can be developed.. Cllr Thomas met with council officers last week and wants to see how European funding could be targeted to regenerate sites like the council-owned former Rhos Bistro Cafe at Rhos Point.
Cllr Thomas explained: “It is all about money, we are looking at developing Rhos-on-Sea in various phases.
“But we need to get the consensus from the general public about what they want to see.
“Hopefully we are going to try and get some European money and we need to put a plan in place this year. If we get the application in for the European Convergence Fund in 2012, then if the bid goes in we could get the money in 2013.
“But we need to get the views of the public as there is no point applying for things if they don’t like it.”
Cllr Thomas is keen to see Rhos-on-Sea developed, particularly the now derelict Rhos Point Cafe, which the council is still considering options for the future.
“Rhos-on-Sea is very much the poor relation; last year I had to give up part of my allowance to get the toilets open at the paddling pool.
“I couldn’t think of anything beyond the railings being painted that has been done in Rhos-on-Sea.
“The village is looking tired, it needs a facelift. Rhos Point Cafe is derelict, it looks like a bomb-site.
“If you think of anywhere between Rhyl and Bangor that has got shops on the sea front, there is nowhere which has got the facility within 40 miles and Rhos-on-Sea has that facility.
“This is our opportunity. I can think of nothing nicer than sitting at a restaurant at Rhos Point with a glass of wine and looking out to sea.”

According to the Planning Report for Aberhod that appeared a couple of months back, CCBC has received nearly 20 expressions of interest from private businesses in redeveloping the Rhos Point Cafe site. So why, when there is ample private money ready and waiting to do the job, is there any talk about applying for grants that may not be received and will take years to come through?

You could also ask why CCBC needs to own a Cafe at all? In these supposedly tough economic times, why is is not just sold off?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #205 on: December 30, 2011, 11:41:35 am »
It seems so simple to me, sell it off and let the private sector do the job properly! Its a prime location, wasted and an eyesore too like it is.
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #206 on: December 30, 2011, 03:21:55 pm »
Hmm, 20 different schemes to regenerate the Rhos Point Bistro?

Well, I don't know about the other 19, but I recall that one of them was geared precisely to give the good Councillor his wish. That being to sit and and look out to see with a glass of wine.  Don't you remember it Dave?   ;) ;)
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #207 on: December 30, 2011, 09:33:22 pm »
Yep

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #208 on: February 04, 2012, 11:16:15 am »
CCBC have come up with a plan to develop all of Rhos Point, create a new public park, build a marina and new breakwater...

Close Abbey Street to traffic (I think they mean Abbey Road, actually! DR)

Create link from Penrhyn Avenue to park

Connect the two existing parks together to create one linked park

Create water park and playground

Southside park to be more natural and accommodate outside gym space

Rhos point building to house maritime interpretation centre, café, restaurant, gallery and retail / studio units

New street furniture to draw people along promenade with resting points

New harbour and marina created with new sea wall defence and connected to point building

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #209 on: February 04, 2012, 12:11:30 pm »
Looks really good, I think Rhos on Sea could have a great future (done correctly),  when do they plan to start it?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas