Author Topic: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea  (Read 319306 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea
« Reply #180 on: August 07, 2011, 03:25:40 pm »
It seems that the Aberhod is not a listed building after all.      ???

This is what the new buildings will look like.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #181 on: August 25, 2011, 11:43:46 am »
Closure of HSBC in Rhos is a blow, not least because its such a prominent building and has two very well used cash machines.

http://www.northwalesweeklynews.co.uk/conwy-county-news/local-conwy-news/2011/08/25/hsbc-to-close-rhos-on-sea-branch-55243-29297224/

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #182 on: August 25, 2011, 12:05:27 pm »
I did say on the old Local when Barclays closed their Rhos on Sea branch that those Banks left would be reviewing their future. No Bank likes to be the last one in a community because when they decide to close, that Bank gets far more flak than those already gone.

So I think those who use the NatWest better keep a close eye on things.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #183 on: August 27, 2011, 08:47:21 am »
I was just passing through Rhos and noticed that a car had crashed into the old Rhos Harbour Bistro premises and demolished the end of the building, along with a section of railings.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #184 on: August 27, 2011, 10:32:14 am »
Just got a pic of the damage. I was talking to this guy whilst taking the pic and he said it happened at 3am, during one of the rainstorms.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #185 on: August 27, 2011, 08:48:30 pm »
Lets hope it was'ent anyone with a name like "Forme etc etc)

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #186 on: August 27, 2011, 08:57:13 pm »
At that time of the morning whoever it was could have been Stone d.    L0L
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #187 on: August 27, 2011, 09:03:26 pm »
If a car has done that much damage, then I think the Council were correct in thinking the building was unstable. That is one hell of a lot of damage from a car, even driven face on at 50.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #188 on: September 07, 2011, 09:25:25 pm »
Glancing up Rhos Road this morning I  could see what I thought looked like a new cafe opening on the right hand side. This made me think. Rhos is practically the same, shopwise, as it was seventy years ago. Small shops with a variety of wares to sell, very attractive. The only differences that I can see is one the absence of about 80 per cent of the banks which were once there, and two, the number of cafes that there now are. In my young days there was only one that I remember. Pinningtons on the right hand side of Rhos Road going up. I dont recall any others at all. There was an ice cream parlour, Fortes, where Ninos now is. Dont know what they sold during the war, I am fairly certain that icecream was prohibited through food shortages. Also there was a chippy at the bottom of Colwyn Avenue, but they ONLY sold chips. Thats right, not even fish. And most definately not pies,pop,chicken etc etc. They had'nt even been invented.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #189 on: September 07, 2011, 09:43:42 pm »
This incident earlier doesn't sound very pleasant.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-14825132

I hope all the kids will be alright.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #190 on: September 07, 2011, 10:09:23 pm »
Glancing up Rhos Road this morning I  could see what I thought looked like a new cafe opening on the right hand side. This made me think. Rhos is practically the same, shopwise, as it was seventy years ago. Small shops with a variety of wares to sell, very attractive. The only differences that I can see is one the absence of about 80 per cent of the banks which were once there, and two, the number of cafes that there now are. In my young days there was only one that I remember. Pinningtons on the right hand side of Rhos Road going up. I dont recall any others at all. There was an ice cream parlour, Fortes, where Ninos now is. Dont know what they sold during the war, I am fairly certain that icecream was prohibited through food shortages. Also there was a chippy at the bottom of Colwyn Avenue, but they ONLY sold chips. Thats right, not even fish. And most definately not pies,pop,chicken etc etc. They had'nt even been invented.
Ah, Pinningtons. I can still taste their sticky currant buns! What a shame that they closed down, a real Rhos institution.

As is Ninos - Nino himself remembers me going there as a boy and is still there greeting all the customers like old friends all these years later.  :)

The new Cafe at the foot of Rhos Road is called the Harbour Cafe and replaces the Harbour Deli:

[smg id=2574]

Offline Trojan

« Reply #191 on: September 08, 2011, 02:33:45 pm »
I used to like the Vanilla slices from Pinningtons.  X:((

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #192 on: September 08, 2011, 09:38:46 pm »
We saw a lot of those being THROWN AWAY in Rhos today..... didn't we Dave R?   :rage: :rage:
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #193 on: September 08, 2011, 09:54:13 pm »
Why DID Pinningtons close? Judging by all the cafes now  (8, or 10, or more, I dont know) it could not have been because of lack of demand.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #194 on: September 09, 2011, 02:18:02 am »
We saw a lot of those being THROWN AWAY in Rhos today..... didn't we Dave R?   :rage: :rage:

$angry$