Author Topic: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea  (Read 319296 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea
« Reply #165 on: July 05, 2011, 02:05:38 pm »
Well said Blodyn !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #166 on: July 05, 2011, 09:09:27 pm »
Trojan, re Mr Ledder the barber from Rhos. I dont think Waffagolf and I could have met there, I think there is a large age difference. I went to Ledders approx 1945 to 1950. I dont think St Marys College existed at that time (under that name) so as Waffagolf was a pupil there he is obviously many years behind me in the age stakes. Lucky him.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #167 on: July 06, 2011, 07:26:05 am »
It seems to me that some of you chaps do get a little bit "touchy" at times.

It reminds me of comment by a psychologist friend (female) when we were discussing a mutual acquaintance (male):
"The male ego - so big but so easily damaged!"

IME it's not very gender-specific;  with women it often depends on the date...

But the issue of 'touchiness' on forums is common, and predictable, given that we're deprived of all the non-verbal cues on which we depend during face-to-face encounters. I think what surprises me is that we have relatively few instances, especially when folk sometimes don't realise the impact a specific phrase might have on readers.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #168 on: July 06, 2011, 07:53:08 am »
IME it's not very gender-specific;  with women it often depends on the date...

:-X L0L
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #169 on: July 06, 2011, 08:15:25 am »
careful CHAPS  :twoface: $angry$ :rage: ;D

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #170 on: July 13, 2011, 09:18:16 am »
I went past Rhos Point this morning and noticed that workmen were dismantling the Colonnade Shelter. No doubt it will not be replaced!

Offline Trojan

« Reply #171 on: July 13, 2011, 10:11:36 am »
I went past Rhos Point this morning and noticed that workmen were dismantling the Colonnade Shelter. No doubt it will not be replaced!

I came across this postcard from the 1950's of Rhos Point recently.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #172 on: July 13, 2011, 10:47:50 am »
Nice find, Trojan, the whole area almost looks pedestrianised.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #173 on: August 02, 2011, 12:41:05 pm »
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=196713173710234

sounds really interesting.  I love events like these.  ;D
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Hugo

« Reply #174 on: August 04, 2011, 06:41:32 pm »
I've just been reading in the NWWN that the Aberhod Restaurant is to be converted into three homes with two additional house at the sides and a further house to the rear.
The houses in this 228 year old property are likely to be unaffordable to local people and were estimated to be in the £300K to £500K region.
It adds that the planning application will be considered by County Planners in a future committee meeting.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #175 on: August 04, 2011, 07:04:51 pm »
I've just been reading in the NWWN that the Aberhod Restaurant is to be converted into three homes with two additional house at the sides and a further house to the rear.
The houses in this 228 year old property are likely to be unaffordable to local people and were estimated to be in the £300K to £500K region.
It adds that the planning application will be considered by County Planners in a future committee meeting.
The Planning Application should be thrown out by Planners. Aberhod is one of the oldest buildings in the area (along with Rhos Fynach) and the new build houses would ruin its setting. It's amazing how the Owner can't run the Restaurant at a profit when I see every other Eating place in Rhos is thriving...?

http://www.northwalesweeklynews.co.uk/conwy-county-news/local-conwy-news/2011/08/04/rhos-on-sea-s-aberhod-old-hall-set-to-clsoe-55243-29171753/

Offline Hugo

« Reply #176 on: August 06, 2011, 03:20:23 pm »
I can't see how it's running at a loss either but the temptation seems to be to get a quicker profit by selling it for building purposes.
I haven't seen any notices or plans for this project but if it's going before the planning committee at CCBC then the first part of the process has commenced.
At a guess it sounds like the old story of the Penmorfa Hotel where an option to purchase was signed but subject to planning approval being granted first of all.
In this case however the property is 228 years old so it should have a listed building status on it which should provide a case for the application to be rejected.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #177 on: August 06, 2011, 04:45:23 pm »
I think that part of the claimed lack of profits is due to the fact that once a catering establishment falls foul of the Public Health people and it is reported in the papers, it takes months, years for it to be forgotten. Makes no difference whether or not it is serious or deserved, it sticks in the back of people's minds.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #178 on: August 06, 2011, 05:37:56 pm »
If it really is a listed building wonder how they managed to put plastic window frames in it ?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #179 on: August 06, 2011, 07:45:20 pm »
You can see in this photo how surrounded by modern buildings Aberhod already is. Most of them were built in what was once its rambling gardens. For any more to be built would be ridiculous. The owner is getting far too greedy, I feel.