Author Topic: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea  (Read 319328 times)

Waffagolf

Re: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea
« Reply #105 on: June 04, 2011, 01:28:36 pm »
This is a Hillman (Sceptre I think) car that came off the road on the bend by Rhos Point Cafe. So many cars ended up in the same spot, some must have only just missed the building itself. Thank goodness it doesn't happen these days. I'm sure I have more pictures of other cars in the same location. Rhos Point bend was well known for such accidents.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #106 on: June 04, 2011, 03:37:52 pm »
 $cool$ The above car looks like a Sunbeam Rapier.

Waffagolf

« Reply #107 on: June 04, 2011, 03:47:34 pm »
I stand corrected. Rightly so. Well done.

Offline white rabbit

• I'm late, I'm late!
« Reply #108 on: June 04, 2011, 05:07:42 pm »
Just found this old picture of flooding in Rhos-on-Sea by the Cayley. Not sure about the year it was taken.

I think it was the 1950's

Offline Trojan

« Reply #109 on: June 04, 2011, 08:46:55 pm »
Well, it was a new car, so whatever year registrations ended in Y, that was the year.

August 1982 to July 1983.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #110 on: June 05, 2011, 10:03:27 pm »
Waffagof photo of the flood by the Cayley. This happened on a fairly regular basis, every time there was a N.E. wind with a high tide. The Cayley had sandbags at the ready most of the time. But this photo shows a mega flood, which makes me think it was around 1944. That was around the time when the sea joined up around the Cricket club and made Abbey Road area an island

Offline dwsi

« Reply #111 on: June 05, 2011, 10:13:27 pm »
There was some flood photos on the Rhos on Sea thread
http://threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=57.msg1644#msg1644

and some interesting videos
http://wn.com/rhos-on-sea

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #112 on: June 05, 2011, 11:00:50 pm »
and some interesting videos
http://wn.com/rhos-on-sea
Some of those videos are hilarious. One or two of them feature a guy walking around Rhos and Colwyn Bay complaining about 'OAP flats'. Unfortunately for him, most of the buildings he's talking about are flats for people of all ages, not just 'OAPs'. And what does he have against older people anyway  - does he expect them to live in cardboard boxes on the pavement?  What a plonker! :D

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #113 on: June 05, 2011, 11:32:31 pm »
Funnneee...Feeling your age are we Dave?  After your birthday last week..!   L0L
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Waffagolf

« Reply #114 on: June 05, 2011, 11:32:41 pm »
I just went to have a look at some videos on the site mentioned, when I saw some titled "The last few days of St Mary's College", and I escaped the site immediately. Funny how things take you.

St Mary's College was truly, truly an awful place to be, some of the terrible things that went on there don't bear thinking about. Thank God it's gone completely, although I wish the old school houses of Aquinas (where I was), Davies and Campion were also demolished. Good to see Albini House in Llandudno Junction has gone. One can only wish that memories could be wiped out like a building.

Certain people who used to teach there have been brought to justice for what they did to boys, but very little has ever been in this areas papers. Religion has a great deal to answer for. I rejoyced when the buildings were demolished. There was a great deal more to the school closing down than has ever been released into the public domain.

Waffagolf

« Reply #115 on: June 05, 2011, 11:41:38 pm »
Archives are a wonderful thing. Here are some pictures to do with an electrical shop in Rhos Road, Rhos-On-Sea. Great vans. First one is the oldest picture in existance of a Turner's Radio van complete with public address speakers on top...WOW! John (Jack) Turner can be seen to the left of the picture in the glasses.

Waffagolf

« Reply #116 on: June 05, 2011, 11:43:16 pm »
Here's another picture with both Directors in it. John (Jack) Turner and John Roberts.

Waffagolf

« Reply #117 on: June 05, 2011, 11:44:19 pm »
And one with John (Jack) Turner by Llandudno Hospital.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #118 on: June 06, 2011, 04:53:42 am »
Do you have any photos of the Turners Electrical shop that was in Rhos Road?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #119 on: June 06, 2011, 07:31:37 am »
I think they are still using the same speakers!    L0L
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero