Author Topic: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea  (Read 319329 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea
« Reply #705 on: May 24, 2020, 03:49:00 pm »
I think that I have seen and heard everything now. The whole of the promenade below the Cayley embankment and beyond is now a 'Tow away zone'...ie no parking at all. On questioning a few people we were told that it was to prevent 'trippers' stopping in the area. Nothing in Llandudno, so naturally everyone will carry on to the prom there. Surely any 'trippers will have been stopped before they get to Rhos????? CBC strikes again !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #706 on: May 24, 2020, 06:26:10 pm »
It has been a "tow away zone" for a while Nemesis but you'll find that more people park their cars at the top of the embankment.
If you're lucky you can get a parking spot between the traffic lights and the slipway by the embankment.
I'm told that the cafe by the Cayley is open for takeaways and they serve a nice coffee and tasty bacon bap

As for the tourists, there are too many cars on the road now for the Police to effectively stop and check each car and with mixed messages coming from England with Boris and Cummings etc it will probably get worse

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #707 on: May 24, 2020, 08:09:21 pm »
On Conwy Quay this morning the police stopped 8 Japanese tourists this morning, the police were really nice explaining to them, Peggy said how do you know they are tourists 🤔 I said the cameras clicking away give it away 😂😂

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #708 on: May 24, 2020, 09:54:32 pm »
As you say Hugo, people were parked at the top of the embankment ,as we did, even so Hassan was doing a brisk trade in takeaway food and drink. He was using polystyrene coffee cups before the lockdown, instead of his usual pottery mugs and yes his coffee is very nice.

Was the reason we were told true? Is this to deter visitors? It has been a popular place for locals, never mind visitors to dog walk, potter along the front and generally enjoy the sea for many years.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #709 on: May 24, 2020, 10:39:01 pm »
I don't know why they have done that but it won't be to deter visitors because the visitors shouldn't be there anyway.     Neither should the locals be there unless they have a valid reason for doing so.     As I understand it, in Wales no one should drive to do their exercise unless they have a health or mobility reason for doing so.
The exercise should start and end at your home and you should stay local
Where I live on the heights, I'm just going around in circles when I go out to exercise because of these restrictions.   I can only come in to Llandudno when I have a valid reason for doing so which is frustrating because I would love to walk on the Great Orme again

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #710 on: May 25, 2020, 09:10:00 am »
Unfortunately since I was ill last July I am unable to walk more than a few yards and my OH is classed as disabled. Thus we haven't been anywhere to walk except 'round the block' ever since the restrictions began, other than for essential journeys like the chemist and to shop for food.
Thus the sight of the tow away area came as a shock , not having been for weeks and the volume of elderly people , like us, on the top of the embankment was amazing.
Can you answer me a question please? Does the tow away area extend as far as the pay area on the prom at Colwyn Bay? There are no such areas in Llandudno where parking is charged for.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #711 on: May 25, 2020, 09:48:18 am »
Nemesis, I believe that all the pay areas on the Prom are subject to that Tow away message.   That's from the Cayley embankment area to the Skip and beyond it as far as the turning to the A55.
In Llandudno most of the North Promenade is subject to a charge and it covers all the prom up to the Venue Cymru but I've heard that the Craig Y Don prom has also come under discussion as has the West Shore.

Offline cygnusx-1

« Reply #712 on: May 25, 2020, 11:44:12 am »
I was stopped by the Police yesterday morning,they were doing all vehicles on both sides of the road by the pier. I was just asked were I was from (Old Colwyn), nothing about what I was doing....I had been for a paper(Guys Newsagents)!  I was expecting to be waved through with a CX number plate!!

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #713 on: May 25, 2020, 11:49:30 am »
I noticed on the Conwy CBC website that there are footway works to take place between the TIC and Marine Road so the "tow" issue may be related to that proposal which is supposed to finish in mid-June.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #714 on: May 25, 2020, 01:05:49 pm »
I was stopped by the Police yesterday morning,they were doing all vehicles on both sides of the road by the pier. I was just asked were I was from (Old Colwyn), nothing about what I was doing....I had been for a paper(Guys Newsagents)!  I was expecting to be waved through with a CX number plate!!

Police van this morning with 2 occupants was parked at West Shore on the old slipway to the beach. Not doing anything other than watching.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #715 on: May 27, 2020, 04:35:04 pm »
I sat on a bench on Rhos Prom this afternoon eating a takeaway meal and watching the world go by.    There weren't many people about enjoying the beautiful weather but we did observe that there were quite a few visitors among the people that were there despite the lockdown that is in force

Offline Hugo

« Reply #716 on: May 29, 2020, 01:57:14 pm »
There has been a light aircraft flying overhead for some time now and has a banner trailing behind it which appears to be about the link I have posted below
I've posted a photo of the words on the banner although they are the other way around

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/celia-service-rhos-sea-police-11449105

Offline DVT

« Reply #717 on: June 06, 2020, 01:02:30 pm »
Found these photos during a clear out, anyone remember when it happened?  The photos were not taken by me, but were in a boxful of items from my wife's late uncle who died about ten years ago.

Offline Cordyline

« Reply #718 on: June 06, 2020, 01:13:44 pm »
Plane banner; reversed

Offline Hugo

« Reply #719 on: June 06, 2020, 01:15:26 pm »
I remember seeing the boat in difficulty from my house overlooking the bay.    It was at anchor overnight by Old Colwyn I think and then something happened with the anchor and it drifted to Rhos on Sea where it was stranded on the shore.  I've copied something from Google about it and it was quite a tourist attraction while it was there
The Ship That Ran Aground In 1991. A violent storm hit the Bay of Colwyn in September 1991, and the Marga Cortes, a cargo ship, ran aground on the rocks at Rhos point. The ship was repaired over the following weeks, and was able to continue her journey once fully repaired.