Author Topic: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea  (Read 319297 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea
« Reply #690 on: September 07, 2019, 02:21:12 pm »
Both Llandudno Lifeboats were in action early on Friday evening following reports of red flares fired from a small speedboat with one person on board a quarter of a mile off Rhos on Sea breakwater in choppy conditions.              Another good rescue by the RNLI    $good$

https://rnli.org/news-and-media/2019/september/07/llandudno-lifeboats-respond-to-red-flare-distress-alerts-over-rhos-on-sea

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #691 on: October 14, 2019, 03:36:46 pm »
One for the diary...........

RHOS-on-Sea Rotary Club will celebrate its 21st Tree of Lights initiative this Christmas.

The tree will shine on the Cayley Promenade, Rhos on Sea in support of St. David’s Hospice.

A spokesman for the club said: “The tree will again shine to give the local community and many beyond the opportunity to celebrate or commemorate the lives of loved ones at the same time supporting this very worthy cause.

“Since we started, more than £263,000 has been donated, all of which has gone to St. David’s Hospice. More than £27,000.00 was raised last Christmas and we hope to reach the same again this time.

The lights will be switched on by Cllr. Neil Bastow, mayor of Colwyn Bay, at a ceremony on the Cayley Promenade, Rhos on Sea at 4.30pm on Sunday November 24, with the help of Cor Meibion Colwyn and the Beulah Brass Band.             ref Pioneer

Offline SteveH

« Reply #692 on: October 24, 2019, 03:49:48 pm »
Why people have been plastered on rundown Colwyn Bay prom shelters - and who they are
Six promenade shelters between Old Colwyn and Rhos on Sea have been turned into a large scale portrait gallery.
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/people-been-plastered-rundown-colwyn-17138381#comments-section

Offline gaztrucker

rhos on sea swimming pool
« Reply #693 on: November 26, 2019, 06:42:46 pm »
hi been a while since ive been on the forum re: rhos pool my late dad harry chambers used to do shows at the pool with his mate john collinge and others which involved comedy diving etc and mad driving around the pool in a morgan 3 wheeler !!!!! this would have been late 50s early 60s   anyone remember this ?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #694 on: November 27, 2019, 09:57:14 am »
I helped out at the pool in the early sixties, which got me free entry for the summer, many happy memories, made a lot of friends, but sadly have lost touch with them all, I remember the Gala's there, along with what you mentioned above, there was a guy with a lawn mower, chasing the girls in the grass skirts, check out the Times Past section, Rhos on Sea/Colwyn Bay thread, lots of info and photos.                                                                Link to photos...       https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/nostalgia/nostalgic-picture-show-rhos-sea-10022780                                                                 
And an old holiday film from the 60´s  well worth a look  https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-summer-holiday-1964-online

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #695 on: November 27, 2019, 10:27:30 am »
Truly excellent BFI film, Steve.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #696 on: November 27, 2019, 11:43:55 am »
Truly excellent BFI film, Steve.
Just watched it again, anothe memory jogged, in the film there is a boat by the CB pier, I recall spending time with a lad who helped run one of two boat trips around the Bay from Rhos jetty, his was a slower boat, the other which I think is the one in the film was a speedboat, you will see that the boat goes under the pier, one day the speedboat lost control whilst heading for the pier, it was suspected the throtle jammed open, the passengers had to jump for it, and the boat carried on at speed, under a low piece of metal work and stripped the deck of all fittings, it was an extremely lucky escape for everyone.

Offline Cordyline

« Reply #697 on: November 28, 2019, 11:01:28 am »
…...comedy diving etc and mad driving around the pool in a morgan 3 wheeler !!!!! this would have been late 50s early 60s......

Back in the day.... around 1964, I owned a Morgan 3 wheeler --
On one occasion we - the Morgan owners club -  had a rally to Colwyn Bay, I remember driving up and down the front at C B doing some sort of time trial

Offline SteveH

« Reply #698 on: January 30, 2020, 12:00:05 pm »
A HUNT has started to find the owner of two photographic albums found in Rhos-on-Sea.

Eileen Grady, from South Yardley, Birmingham, said: “Two family photograph albums have come to light in a flat our family owned. One is a wedding album of Pura Margaret Evans and David (known as Iori) Williams and they married in London on October 21, 1962.

"The album was found underneath a window seat, where it had obviously been hidden for years. The family might recognise themselves and the album would be a great addition to anyone building a family tree. Iori and Pura lived at 2 Whitehall Road. Mr and Mrs Williams also lived at 2 Brompton Park, Rhos on Sea."

“The group family photo was taken at Tyn-y-wern on August 17, 1974, the youngest members in the photo are Sioned and Aled. The wedding photo was of Dr Anne Lloyd Davies to Mr Gareth Idris Jenkins. I think the wedding took place at Capel-y-Fron, Denbigh July 29, 1978. ”

Eileen can be contacted at: eileengrady@icloud.com.

cont.... https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18198563.hunt-photo-album-owner/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #699 on: February 27, 2020, 11:09:42 am »
Part of a £1bn package of improvements in transport and road infrastructure across North Wales over the next 10 years North Wales Minister Ken Skates says....

“Later I will be visiting Rhos Point active travel scheme in Rhos on Sea. We have awarded £766,000 to Conwy County Borough Council for structural work at the beach to allow widening of the existing foot-way."

"This scheme will plug a missing link in the National Cycle route no. 5 in a popular location for cyclists and which is busy with pedestrians and car traffic."

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/work-begin-29m-scheme-improve-17821183

Offline temperancellandudno

« Reply #700 on: March 01, 2020, 07:51:28 pm »
Hello everyone

Fascinating story about the photograph album. The details are so clear and explicit, that somebody must have recognised the people involved.

Does anyone here know if the album query was followed up?

TL

Offline SteveH

« Reply #701 on: March 01, 2020, 08:15:55 pm »
Hello everyone
Fascinating story about the photograph album. The details are so clear and explicit, that somebody must have recognised the people involved.
Does anyone here know if the album query was followed up?
TL

Sorry , I never a noticed a follow up, but there is the E mail mentioned drop them a query, you never know ?  good luck.
Eileen can be contacted at: eileengrady@icloud.com.

Offline BrianP

« Reply #702 on: March 03, 2020, 11:26:39 am »
Hello Steve,

I did a search on Ancestry, and have made contact with a relative of David and Pura Williams. His name is Richard Evans, and he lives in Altringham. I have sent his details to the email address for Eileen, and hope the photographs will be reunited with the family. If I hear anything back from Eileen and Richard, I will let you know.

Brian

Offline SteveH

« Reply #703 on: March 03, 2020, 11:33:30 am »
Many thanks Brian, good work, and hopefully they will get in touch.    $good$

Offline BrianP

« Reply #704 on: March 03, 2020, 11:35:18 pm »
Hi Steve, Eileen has been in touch. She had already been contacted by another member of the family, a close relative.
Brian