Author Topic: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea  (Read 319297 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea
« Reply #615 on: September 12, 2017, 08:43:33 am »
Tom.....at least you get to confirm the facts from those of us with our ears to the ground.......months ago!!i
:-X

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #616 on: September 12, 2017, 02:54:05 pm »
Nino denied he was retiring when my colleague spoke to him a few months ago - but thanks for the advice.
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline Robbie G

• Management board member
« Reply #617 on: November 07, 2017, 08:10:23 pm »
Nino still running his cafe he was on his lunch break when we called , thought he was handing over at the start of the Month . Also passed Oddstone workmens Vehicles out side heavy traffic so could not see what was going on

Offline temperancellandudno

« Reply #618 on: December 13, 2017, 11:56:44 pm »
Hello everyone

I called at Rhos Point Books recently and the gent there said that he will be closing the shop at or around the end of April. I've bought quite a few books off over the years but it looks like he will close the shop and trade at book fairs in future. Not sure when exactly he began there, but i think he was there 15 years ago.

TL

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #619 on: December 18, 2017, 11:14:21 am »
Hello everyone

I called at Rhos Point Books recently and the gent there said that he will be closing the shop at or around the end of April. I've bought quite a few books off over the years but it looks like he will close the shop and trade at book fairs in future. Not sure when exactly he began there, but i think he was there 15 years ago.

TL
The plan was that his little shop was to be incorporated into a refurbished Ninos cafe.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #620 on: December 18, 2017, 03:36:31 pm »
It was a nice Winter's day in Rhos today and the tide was on it's way out when I took these photos

Offline Hugo

« Reply #621 on: January 10, 2018, 04:03:08 pm »
It  was a nice sunny afternoon in Rhos today and good to see so many people walking about there

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #622 on: January 19, 2018, 06:06:09 pm »
Appeal to public to give hero's farewell to Rhos on Sea WWII veteran who survived Japanese 'hell ship' and even Hiroshima
British Legion and RAF appeal for public to come to funeral of Herbert Haines, who died in Rhos on Sea aged 97 with very few surviving relatives.

The British Legion and RAF are hoping the public will help give a hero’s farewell to a Second World War airman who died leaving few relatives behind to attend his funeral.

Herbert James Haines - known as Jim - was 97 when he passed away in Rhos on Sea. He is survived only by his elderly wife Vera, who is too ill to attend the send-off, and one relation who lives in Devon.

Mr Haines survived prisoner of war camps in the far east, including time in Hiroshima before and after it was bombed by US forces at the end of the conflict, and veterans charities and forces chiefs want to make sure his funeral is well-attended by people willing to show gratitude for the sacrifices he made during his remarkable military career.

Mr Haines’ wife Vera is in a nursing home and is understood to be suffering from dementia and so is unable to attend.

Herbert James Haines’ public funeral is taking place at Colwyn Bay Crematorium on 11am on Monday.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/war-veteran-funeral-haines-colwyn-14177706

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #623 on: January 20, 2018, 10:12:36 pm »
Will anyone be attending, to show respects?
I think he deserves that to commemorate a long life full of huge achievements many of us could not imagine going through.
One doesn’t have to know the man in order to salute his life.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SteveH

« Reply #624 on: January 21, 2018, 12:28:14 am »
I posted the notice hoping some may be able to attend,  as I unfortunately I cannot, he deserves a good send off, RIP.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #625 on: January 22, 2018, 05:51:56 pm »
 Dozens of people turned out to pay their respects to a former RAF officer and ‘true gentleman’ who died leaving few relatives behind to attend his funeral.

Herbert James Haines, who died aged 97, had survived prisoner of war camps in the far east, including time in Hiroshima before and after it was bombed by US forces at the end of the conflict.

His death in Rhos-on-Sea prompted an appeal by The British Legion and RAF chiefs, who wanted to make sure his funeral was well-attended by people willing to show gratitude for the sacrifices he made during his remarkable military career.

Today around 100 people joined his wife of 60 years, Vera, and nephew Mark Delamere from Devon, at a service in Colwyn Bay .
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/if-wasnt-men-like-him-14188774

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #626 on: March 04, 2018, 12:07:40 pm »
The road below the Cayley embankment was closed this morning, not much to see why at the present, but the tide must have been well over earlier by the amount of sand near the grass.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline cygnusx-1

« Reply #627 on: March 04, 2018, 03:21:49 pm »
It was the same situation yesterday about 11:15 when I was directed over the embankment. The tide was very high in relation to the seawall but some people were still a bit close to the water for their safety.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #628 on: March 04, 2018, 03:43:54 pm »
The tides have been very high Spring tides (  8.34m on Saturday ) and that coupled with the storm have created those conditions.
The road past the embankment is not normally closed but in the interest of safety CCBC must have arranged for it to be closed.   Normally the Old Colwyn promenade is closed in these conditions but I didn't go and have a look at it.

This is what Rhos looked like at high tide on Friday when I looked out of my window

Offline Daihardwelshman

« Reply #629 on: March 06, 2018, 10:15:56 am »
Heard from a good source that the deal between Nino and Parasellas is off.........Thought it had taken too long.