Author Topic: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea  (Read 321014 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea
« Reply #750 on: October 09, 2021, 07:08:30 pm »
Yes, on the front.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #751 on: October 09, 2021, 09:19:26 pm »
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #752 on: October 17, 2021, 10:18:27 am »
St David's Hospice column: The Tree of Lights to return to Rhos on Sea this Christmas

The lights will be illuminated during our ‘switching on’ ceremony at 4.30pm on Sunday, November 28 remaining lit throughout December.

For each dedication, a Tree of Lights card will be sent to you by post and your loved ones’ names will be entered into our ‘Book of Lights’, which will be available to view online throughout 2022.

To dedicate a light on the Tree of Lights this year............ email Rhian.jacobs@stdavidshospice.org.uk or call the Hospice Fundraising Team on 01492 873664

Offline SteveH

« Reply #753 on: November 10, 2021, 01:46:45 pm »
Broadcaster and journalist Joan Bakewell has added her voice to the outrage over plans to demolish an "iconic" art deco house designed by a famous Welsh architect.

The property in question is located in Rhos on Sea on the corner of Marine Drive and College Avenue and was designed by Sidney Colwyn Foulkes (1884-1971) who is known for his architecture around the area.

Developers Commercial Development Management want to replace the house with five apartments and car parking, with plans submitted to Conwy County Council.

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/broadcaster-backs-calls-save-iconic-22122681

Offline Dave

« Reply #754 on: November 10, 2021, 06:19:08 pm »
Broadcaster and journalist Joan Bakewell has added her voice to the outrage over plans to demolish an "iconic" art deco house designed by a famous Welsh architect.

The property in question is located in Rhos on Sea on the corner of Marine Drive and College Avenue and was designed by Sidney Colwyn Foulkes (1884-1971) who is known for his architecture around the area.

Developers Commercial Development Management want to replace the house with five apartments and car parking, with plans submitted to Conwy County Council.

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/broadcaster-backs-calls-save-iconic-22122681

It was up for sale for long enough and nobody bought it as a house. OK it wasn't cheap but I wonder why as plenty of other properties moved at similar prices and without the cherished sea view either ?

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #755 on: November 11, 2021, 10:29:50 am »
I did have an opportunity to view before it sold,it is in a terrible condition with penetrating damp in every room .
The concrete roof  suffering from the steel reinforcement corroding  the only thing salvageable is the staircase.
As far as it being a Colwyn Foulkes design I believe that  was put about by the Estate agent to encourage a sale,but if my memory serves me (my grandfather built a number of the house's in Rhos for various developers) it was a design and build by a builder from Manchester.

Offline Dave

« Reply #756 on: November 11, 2021, 01:25:33 pm »
I did have an opportunity to view before it sold,it is in a terrible condition with penetrating damp in every room .
The concrete roof  suffering from the steel reinforcement corroding  the only thing salvageable is the staircase.
As far as it being a Colwyn Foulkes design I believe that  was put about by the Estate agent to encourage a sale,but if my memory serves me (my grandfather built a number of the house's in Rhos for various developers) it was a design and build by a builder from Manchester.

Interesting, and I guessed as much. You would struggle to find anyone prepared to insure you when you have a flat roof and I think it would more than double the asking price to bring it up to living standards. The Art Deco house in Craigside was a similar case I believe where the renovation cost more than the hefty price tag of the house.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #757 on: November 17, 2021, 01:04:25 pm »
The owner of Rhos on Sea's popular Cayley Kiosk says he still hasn't heard anything from Conwy Council about the future of his business.

Conwy Council wants to demolish the kiosks as part of the next phase of improvement works on the seafront.

If given the go-ahead, footpaths would be widened on the promenade for cyclists and pedestrians with the existing kiosks on West Promenade being removed.

Conwy hopes to replace the kiosks but as yet there is no funding to do this, and it would have to be done under a separate scheme.

The news has shocked visitors and residents, as the kiosks have been around for at least 60 years and are still very popular.

Almost 3,000 people have signed a petition to save the community hub.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/owner-popular-seaside-kiosk-still-22182642

Offline SteveH

Re: Tree of Light...... Rhos on Sea .....Change to ceremony
« Reply #758 on: November 19, 2021, 12:26:15 pm »
St David's Hospice column: The Tree of Lights to return to Rhos on Sea this Christmas

The lights will be illuminated during our ‘switching on’ ceremony at 4.30pm on Sunday, November 28 remaining lit throughout December.

For each dedication, a Tree of Lights card will be sent to you by post and your loved ones’ names will be entered into our ‘Book of Lights’, which will be available to view online throughout 2022.

To dedicate a light on the Tree of Lights this year............ email Rhian.jacobs@stdavidshospice.org.uk or call the Hospice Fundraising Team on 01492 873664

New announcement.............

In the light of the current events, Rotary Club of Rhos on Sea and St David’s Hospice have had to make an extremely difficult decision about this year’s Tree of Light Switching on ceremony in Rhos on Sea.
It has been decided, for the safety of everyone involved, the switching on ceremony on Sunday 28th November will now take place virtually as it did in 2020.
The lights will still shine bright, loved ones remembered and the Tree will be lit beautifully at the end of November. The virtual ceremony can be enjoyed in the comfort of your own homes, in your own time, not only in North Wales but across the world. It will be posted on YouTube, Facebook and on the Hospice and Rotary websites. We are extremely sorry for any disappointment caused, and we hope to join you in person in 2022.
Details about the virtual switching on ceremony can be found at www.stdavidshospice.org.uk
To dedicate a light on the tree go to https://stdavidshospice.org.uk/donations/tree-of-lights/
Rhos on Sea Rotary and St David’s Hospice (18th November 2021) — in Rhôs-on-Sea.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #759 on: November 21, 2021, 09:46:18 am »
Another celebrity joins the objectors to the demolition of the 1930's art deco house.....

"Mr Griff Rhys Jones, who is also president of both the Victorian Society and Civic Voice, said in a statement: “I just need to add my voice to the many who object here.

“It is dismaying that there can be such a casual approach to important Welsh heritage. This is important architecture and part of the story of Rhos-on-Sea.”

cont  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19725472.griff-rhys-jones-obe-joins-calls-save-rhos-on-sea-art-deco-house/?ref=rss&IYA-mail=a05105fc-304d-4c50-9807-edab51f779a4

Offline SteveH

« Reply #760 on: December 01, 2021, 09:40:03 am »
Dismay over revised plans for Rhos on Sea prom as one-way scheme is dubbed 'unacceptable'
Proposals to introduce a new traffic system at the expense of existing coastal kiosks have been blasted by thousands of locals

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/dismay-over-revised-plans-rhos-22320433#comments-wrapper

Offline SteveH

« Reply #761 on: December 07, 2021, 09:28:12 am »
An urban explorer has revealed what the inside of an "iconic" art deco house subject to demolition looks like.

The explorer has taken pictures of the abandoned six-bedroom house in Rhos on Sea designed by a famous Welsh architect, which show rooms still filled with furniture.

The house, which dates back to 1939, was designed by renowned local architect Sidney Colwyn Foulkes but is set for demolition after plans were submitted to Conwy County Council to demolish the house and rebuild on the ground where it sits.

Broadcaster and journalist Joan Bakewell OBE and president of the Victorian Society Griff Reece Jones OBE have recently also spoken out against the demolition.

Images show the "beauty" within the walls of the property, with beds in many of its six bedrooms still made awaiting its occupants to return.

Damage the property has picked up during the time it has remained empty is also visible in some of the images.

cont/photo gallery ..  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/inside-iconic-art-deco-house-22378150?IYA-mail=a05105fc-304d-4c50-9807-edab51f779a4

Offline Dave

« Reply #762 on: December 07, 2021, 10:43:10 am »
It certainly looks like a major work putting this back to how it originally was. I must admit, I never understand the argument that it should be saved instead of building apartments for the wealthy. At least 6 apartments releases 6 other homes..hopefully....and that starts a chain of availability rolling. There is of course the possibility, and a strong one, that they get snapped up as holiday homes but that is up to the council to decide how to avoid that happening if indeed that's what everyone wants. Some of the new build apartments on Rhos promenade look good to me...others look appalling, but again, it's a personal opinion that not everyone will agree with.
On another matter, do you think there should be an appeal to save all the 1950's builds and what's the difference?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #763 on: January 10, 2022, 01:15:40 pm »
WORK is progressing well on a new disability respite centre and café

Wynne Construction has been appointed by Conwy County Borough Council to build the £5.5million Bron y Nant respite centre and café facility on Dinerth Road.

The disability respite facility will provide five fully furnished apartments, communal space and staff accommodation for those with disability support needs.

In addition, the complex care day unit will provide a daily respite service, while the cafe and shop will provide additional work opportunities for people with disabilities.

cont  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19836314.construction-new-colwyn-bay-respite-facility-cafe-progressing-well/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #764 on: January 12, 2022, 03:30:00 pm »
The seaside village that saw the biggest rise in property searches on Rightmove last year
Two other Welsh communities were also in the top ten for price rises

Property website Rightmove revealed Rhos On Sea in Wales topped the list of buyer search hotspots – with the biggest increase in buyer searches, when compared with 2020.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/seaside-village-saw-biggest-rise-22722676