Author Topic: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea  (Read 324878 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea
« Reply #525 on: June 06, 2016, 08:17:23 pm »
I emailed the council this morning and this is their response.

"The work was scheduled to start today at Combermere Gardens and temporary toilets are included in the scope of works (hence the omission of alternatives from the signage), but due to unforeseen circumstances the temporary facilities could not be delivered, therefore the public convenience will remain open until  the temporary facilities arrive on site.
The specification of the temporary facility is yet to be confirmed, however, the contractor has been made aware of the footfall and the facility will be monitored and maintained by Conwy CBC convenience operatives."

This doesnt explain why the work is being done in the holiday season, but at least it appears that there will be alternative facilities

Funny that................a friend went this morning and they were closed!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline wally

« Reply #526 on: June 07, 2016, 01:47:50 pm »
Were there any temporary toilets available?

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #527 on: June 07, 2016, 03:48:12 pm »
Were there any temporary toilets available?

Not then, but apparently they are in the pipe line. Bit late if you are bursting !

Online Hugo

« Reply #528 on: June 08, 2016, 04:35:58 pm »

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #529 on: June 08, 2016, 04:45:05 pm »
Sorry to leap frog Hugo, The Pioneer has just released this article............

Concerns have been raised that a decision to temporarily close public toilets on Rhos on Sea promenade will affect summer trade.

Conwy Council has confirmed the public conveniences in the resort's Combermere Gardens, will close in the next few days for eight weeks while essential work takes place.
They will be replaced by temporary facilities.

Business owners have expressed their concerns that the closure of the facilities will deter tourists who flock to the resort during the summer months.

Sharon Williams, manager of La Reina cafe said: "It's ridiculous to close the toilets now. Why didn't they do the work in the winter, when Rhos is like a ghost town?
"It makes no sense to me.
"And what about disabled people? Will they be able to use the temporary toilets? If not, what are they supposed to do?
“This news has not gone down well with the businesses around here.”

Ceri Jones from Marmalade's cafe, said: "It's a quite worrying that the toilets are closing just as it's getting into busy season.
"There are no other public toilets for miles as far as I know. I hope it doesn't put people off but I think it definitely could.
"It will be awful if it has a negative impact on businesses here, we don't want visitors being forced to go elsewhere because there are no decent public conveniences."

A spokesman for Conwy Council said: "The public convenience at Combermere Gardens, Rhos-on-Sea, will close in the next few days for essential work to take place; temporary facilities will be provided whilst the work takes place.

"The work was scheduled to start today (June 6) but due to unforeseen circumstances the temporary facilities could not be delivered, therefore the public convenience will remain open until the temporary facilities arrive on site."

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #530 on: June 08, 2016, 06:06:37 pm »
The old saying about not being able to organise a P*** up in a Brewery comes to mind ! :o

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #531 on: June 09, 2016, 01:07:12 pm »
Latest news from Conwy CBC is that the work on the toilets is due to be deferred until after the holidays !

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #532 on: June 09, 2016, 08:03:16 pm »
Horra from me. And maybe from the gentleman who lives at the entrance to the old Rhos pier. Not in the BUS shelter is quoted in the Daily Post. The last bus that stopped there would have been the council run bus from this point to old Colwyn end of prom. Ceased around 1985.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #533 on: June 09, 2016, 08:24:47 pm »
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/conwy-council-chiefs-hit-back-11450566

Walked past this morning, it really is getting worse and he must get wet when it rains .

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #534 on: June 10, 2016, 08:38:56 am »
Horra from me. And maybe from the gentleman who lives at the entrance to the old Rhos pier. Not in the BUS shelter is quoted in the Daily Post. The last bus that stopped there would have been the council run bus from this point to old Colwyn end of prom. Ceased around 1985.
What amazes me is that some people thought it was acceptable for the guy to live in a shelter and thought the council should leave him alone!  &shake&

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #535 on: June 10, 2016, 09:03:49 am »
Wonder if these people have actually walked past and seen the rubbish and smelled the smell?
Sounds awful I know, but we have begun to cross the road to avoid the dog sniffing at everything.
It worries me that he is so keen on being opposite the children's paddling pool and playground............Or is that just me?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #536 on: June 10, 2016, 11:34:21 am »
I'm amazed he has been allowed to be there so long, especially with all that junk! I bet if I opened a stall selling stuff there I would soon be moved on!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #537 on: June 10, 2016, 01:13:01 pm »
Wonder if these people have actually walked past and seen the rubbish and smelled the smell?
Sounds awful I know, but we have begun to cross the road to avoid the dog sniffing at everything.
It worries me that he is so keen on being opposite the children's paddling pool and playground............Or is that just me?

Nemesis, it's not just you, it's many of us. He has had numerous offers of help and accommodation. The Local Authority Social Services are under a statutory duty to find accommodation for anyone 'homeless' who requests it, and in common with the vast majority that live in similar circumstances to this man, they refuse accommodation and all other offers of help from Social Services and welfare groups. Often there is a history of substance abuse and/or mental health issues. Whilst he is perfectly entitled to refuse help and assistance, he should not be free to cause a situation that is a blight on local residents and businesses, a health hazard and an appalling sight to those who are on holiday in the area.

Of course it's only natural for residents and parents to be concerned and wonder what man who refuses help and lives in appalling and unsanitary conditions, can also be capable of.   
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #538 on: June 10, 2016, 09:51:52 pm »
 Carrying on the homeless man thread. This is a bit lighthearted so please take it in that list.
  Concerns are written about the childrens playground opposite. No one has written the word but we all know the thoughts ----  might he be a pe-----.? Hope he hasn't got wifi under his blankets.
  But in present day climate of child protection I myself might have found ourselves in trouble. But this was 70 years ago, a different world, but the acts were committed just yards away from this shelter just on the other side of Abbey Road.
  Should I confess now, 70 years later.?   Well, go on then.
  On the far side of Abbey Road was  I think it is called a wattle fence between the pavement and Rhos swimming pool. Strips of wood weaved together so you couldn't see in without paying your sixpence at the turnstile. Except for in the middle of the stretch where the wattle was somewhat broken. This was because there was a ten foot or so tall stone waterfall with water splashing around and into the pool.
   You could always pick out the nasty boys who had been spying through the gaps to catch a glimpse of th local beauty queens in their bathing customs. Because they were always soaking wet from the neck down.

Online Hugo

« Reply #539 on: June 10, 2016, 10:02:33 pm »

You could always pick out the nasty boys who had been spying through the gaps to catch a glimpse of th local beauty queens in their bathing customs. Because they were always soaking wet from the neck down.

How did you explain your wet clothes to your parents Mike!            naughty boy      $smack$