Author Topic: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea  (Read 326070 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea
« Reply #480 on: April 07, 2016, 06:37:53 pm »
Sounds like a good idea Norman, they could try that at certain problem areas.       $good$

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #481 on: April 07, 2016, 07:19:03 pm »
Steve,  I've driven past that spot many times since the last accident and I still can't understand how these accidents are happening under normal driving conditions.
I had been trying to work out which direction they were driving in and couldn't work it out until I read a bit on the accident.
" it's not the road that is the problem it's just bad drivers."

I have to agree, ...... We will see if the council does anything.      *snore*

I have also been up and down that road many times, nothing wrong with the road, wonder if they were on their phones?  ?{}?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Hugo

« Reply #482 on: April 07, 2016, 07:52:09 pm »
That could be the reason ME but you would think that it would be one of the first things that the Police would check when they were on the scene.
I was walking my dog this morning,  and at a busy T junction there was this idiot on the phone.  She was doing a U turn right on the junction with one hand on the wheel and one hand on her phone. When she finished that she then stopped her car at the next T junction going down the hill and carried on talking on the phone completely oblivious to me being there or any traffic behind her.
If using the phone while driving is as bad as they say then the culprit should be banned and not just fined and have a few points on their licence.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #483 on: April 07, 2016, 09:56:13 pm »
  In one country I visited this winter every set of lights has a countdown to when they were going to change to red. It was along a fairly major road and although I was only a passenger I could appreciate how it helped. No Amber gambling there.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #484 on: April 08, 2016, 08:47:21 am »
With regard to ME's query regarding the driver possibly being on the phone.  Is it only my phone or my network provider EE) or do all networks lose a signal between the church and the traffic lights? I've never been able to work out why whenever I've been a passenger and I am in the middle of a call I always lose  a signal there.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #485 on: April 08, 2016, 12:00:30 pm »
Rhos-on-Sea Co-op store build starts...again
Co-op has started work - for a second time - on its £750,000 new store in Rhos-on-Sea.

Co-op started work last summer to remove the garage facilities at the Llandudno Road Texaco garage and convenience store known locally as ‘Geordie’s Garage’.
They had originally hoped to open the store in late summer 2015 but workers had to down tools after it was discovered a fresh planning application was needed.

Now Co-op has received the planning go-ahead and the workforce are now back on site with the new store expected to open this autumn.
A spokesman for The Co-op said: “The new store will enhance the service that the Co-op provides in the area and, enable it to better serve the community.
MORE    http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/rhos-sea-co-op-store-11153586

Offline SteveH

« Reply #486 on: April 15, 2016, 05:29:13 pm »
Petition launched to save Rhos on Sea house from demolition
MORE than a thousand people have backed a petition calling on planners to refuse the demolition of a house in Rhos on Sea.

So far 1154 people have backed the call on Change.org, which asks Conwy County Borough Council to save Odestone - a house in Marine Drive, Rhos on Sea - after a planning application was submitted by agent Cadnant Planning on behalf of Madock Development Ltd to demolish the property and build 12 apartments.

Conwy County Council has also received a number of objections from neighbors, some describing the house - which backs onto Rhos on Sea Golf Course - as having sentimental and historical importance.

The petition reads: “Odstone house is a house with so much history and all local people hold so much respect for this old property.

“Everyone in the local area was so glad when it finally was sold because we all felt a sense of relief that it would be looked after in its present condition, little did we all know that a building company that isn't local has gone and bought this lovely house to demolish its history for yet another eyesore block of apartments.
“We as a community do not want this to happen.”

A design access statement submitted by agent Cadnant Planning states: “As the existing
dwelling is set back from the main development line of the settlement, the proposed building would be more similar to the development grain of the existing dwellings and Golf Club House to the east and West of the site.
“Therefore the building will match the character of this coastal front.”

To read or sign the petition, visit https://www.change.org/p/conwy-council-save-the-demolition-of-odstone-house-179-marine-drive-rhos-on-sea

Cadnant Planning has been approached for a comment.
http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/161009/petition-launched-to-save-rhos-on-sea-house-from-demolition.aspx

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #487 on: April 15, 2016, 07:28:24 pm »
I have signed it, saw it on Facebook this morning.  $good$
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Hugo

« Reply #488 on: April 16, 2016, 09:27:43 am »
I wonder if the building application was made before or after the destruction of the mature trees in the garden?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #489 on: April 20, 2016, 12:01:00 pm »
Barrier collapses on Rhos on Sea promenade

Ageing metal safety barriers along Rhos on Sea promenade have corroded so badly that a section collapsed and fell into the sea on Monday, sparking safety fears.

In some sections crumbling steel barriers are being replaced by council staff with tape, rope and temporary barriers to stop people falling from the promenade into the sea or onto the beach.
Rhos on Sea bed and breakfast owner Colin Hazelden said: “ Conwy Council are seriously neglecting their responsibility to keep the public safe in this important tourist destination.

“The barriers stretching from the pier to Rhos on Sea are in a desperate state.
“They have just corroded away, and if someone falls through them they could face a 20-foot drop in some places.

MORE    http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/barrier-collapses-rhos-sea-promenade-11211520

Offline SteveH

« Reply #490 on: April 20, 2016, 12:19:02 pm »
DEVELOPERS have withdrawn an application to demolish a house in Rhos on Sea after thousands opposed plans to turn it into apartments.

More than 2350 people backed the call on Change.org, which asked Conwy County Borough Council to save Odestone - a house in Marine Drive, Rhos on Sea - after a planning application was submitted by agent Cadnant Planning on behalf of Madoc Development Ltd to demolish the property and build 12 apartments.

But on Tuesday, April 19 the application - which also received several objections from neighbours - was withdrawn.

A design access statement submitted by agent Cadnant Planning said the proposed development - the site of which backs on to Rhos on Sea golf course - would have been similar to the development grain of the existing dwellings and Golf Club House to the east and West of the site, matching the character of the coastal front.

It was also proposed that the development would retain the onsite cave and include the erection of a plaque in the boundary wall so pedestrians could read the myth about Prince Madoc setting sail for America from Rhos Jetty near to the property.

The petition against the development reads: “Odstone house is a house with so much history and all local people hold so much respect for this old property.

“Everyone in the local area was so glad when it finally was sold because we all felt a sense of relief that it would be looked after in its present condition, little did we all know that a building company that isn't local has gone and bought this lovely house to demolish its history for yet another eyesore block of apartments.

To see the petition, visit https://www.change.org/p/conwy-council-save-the-demolition-of-odstone-house-179-marine-drive-rhos-on-sea

Cadnant Planning has been approached for a comment.      REF Pioneer

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #491 on: April 20, 2016, 06:37:14 pm »
DEVELOPERS have withdrawn an application to demolish a house in Rhos on Sea after thousands opposed plans to turn it into apartments.

More than 2350 people backed the call on Change.org, which asked Conwy County Borough Council to save Odestone - a house in Marine Drive, Rhos on Sea - after a planning application was submitted by agent Cadnant Planning on behalf of Madoc Development Ltd to demolish the property and build 12 apartments.

But on Tuesday, April 19 the application - which also received several objections from neighbours - was withdrawn.

A design access statement submitted by agent Cadnant Planning said the proposed development - the site of which backs on to Rhos on Sea golf course - would have been similar to the development grain of the existing dwellings and Golf Club House to the east and West of the site, matching the character of the coastal front.

It was also proposed that the development would retain the onsite cave and include the erection of a plaque in the boundary wall so pedestrians could read the myth about Prince Madoc setting sail for America from Rhos Jetty near to the property.

The petition against the development reads: “Odstone house is a house with so much history and all local people hold so much respect for this old property.

To see the petition, visit https://www.change.org/p/conwy-council-save-the-demolition-of-odstone-house-179-marine-drive-rhos-on-sea

Cadnant Planning has been approached for a comment.      REF Pioneer

Can we now expect the house to be abandoned, until the inevitable 'mysterious fire' occurs or will the owners do the decent thing and sell it?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #492 on: April 20, 2016, 06:38:55 pm »
Barrier collapses on Rhos on Sea promenade

Ageing metal safety barriers along Rhos on Sea promenade have corroded so badly that a section collapsed and fell into the sea on Monday, sparking safety fears.

In some sections crumbling steel barriers are being replaced by council staff with tape, rope and temporary barriers to stop people falling from the promenade into the sea or onto the beach.
Rhos on Sea bed and breakfast owner Colin Hazelden said: “ Conwy Council are seriously neglecting their responsibility to keep the public safe in this important tourist destination.

“The barriers stretching from the pier to Rhos on Sea are in a desperate state.
“They have just corroded away, and if someone falls through them they could face a 20-foot drop in some places.

MORE    http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/barrier-collapses-rhos-sea-promenade-11211520

CCBC are avoiding maintaining the railings as they are scheduled for replacement in the prom refurbishment scheme.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #493 on: April 21, 2016, 01:36:22 pm »
"Can we now expect the house to be abandoned, until the inevitable 'mysterious fire' occurs."

D.R.   I thought the same thing, they gave in to easily, are they going to play the waiting game like the other properties we have mentioned on here before...  &shake&
Not to mention the state that it has been left in already, they need shot, they have ruined it, and should be held responsible.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #494 on: April 21, 2016, 01:37:06 pm »
Just gone past Odstone, there is a surveying team with drilling rig in the front garden - odd that they are still surveying the site when the planning application has been withdrawn?