Author Topic: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea  (Read 326242 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea
« Reply #360 on: October 31, 2014, 10:22:07 am »
A WOMAN who unearthed a diary dating back more than 100 years from Rhos-on-Sea hopes to track down the author’s family.
Hilda Sharp, aged 78, of Penrhyn Bay, made photocopies of every page and returned the original to the derelict home on the seafront before it was demolished 35 years ago, and now hopes to hear from any family.
The book chronicles life in Colwyn Bay and the surrounding areas between 1908 and 1916 from the point of view of a young girl called Miranda Dyson.
Mrs Sharp said: “It is just the most interesting book to read.
“I kept the copies in my attic at the time and only recently came across them again.
“It gives some very interesting historical details of the area, references the royals at the time and she talks about these trips she made to London.
“This girl, whoever she was, was obviously from a family that was very well off.
“It seems such a pity that this important piece of local history should just be stuck in my attic.”
Mrs Sharp has kept a binder with copies of each page of the book, which includes mentions of key historical events including the First World War, and returned the original to the property after feeling it was not right to keep it.
She fears it would have been disposed of as scrap after the house was knocked down.
Mrs Sharp added: “It was a huge thing. It was found just stuffed down the side of a very, very old chair in this house.”

Mrs Sharp would like to hear from anyone who thinks they might be related to Miranda Dyson.

She added: “I think she would have been born in about 1894, based on the birthdays it talks about in the diary. There must be someone locally who is related to this woman.”

Anyone with information can contact the Pioneer news team on 01492 523 873.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #361 on: October 31, 2014, 10:53:29 am »
In 1911, there was a Miranda H. Dyson living in Myrtle Dene, Llangwstenin. She was well off, as her occupation was described as 'private means'. However, she was 52 in 1911. It's an unusual name, though, so maybe it is the same person. She was born in Liverpool in 1859 and died in Denbighshire in 1936. Her husband was a Schoolmaster called Eli, who came from Oldham, which is where they lived until moving to North Wales in the early 1900s. Their address in Oldham was 26 Belgrave Road. She had a daughter called Irene (born in 1896).

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #362 on: November 04, 2014, 05:37:47 pm »
Highcroft nursing home to close with 20 elderly residents to be rehomed and 32 jobs lost.
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #363 on: November 06, 2014, 12:20:16 pm »
Phone and internet issues throughout Rhos on Sea since Monday night... I've been in touch with BT to find out when it's going to be fixed.

If you've been affected, email me with contact details tom.davidson@trinitymirror.com

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #364 on: November 06, 2014, 12:22:43 pm »
If your internet isn't working please send me an e mail!

_))*

££$

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #365 on: November 06, 2014, 12:53:24 pm »
We live in Rhos on Sea, haven't noticed any problem?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #366 on: November 06, 2014, 01:39:56 pm »
There is a big hole in the middle of Penrhyn Avenue, and two men from the Council are looking into it!
 _))*
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #367 on: November 06, 2014, 01:54:10 pm »
People have email on their phones... right?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #368 on: November 06, 2014, 06:47:13 pm »
LATEST UPDATE: Openreach have advised that this issue is due to a major incident where a mains electricity cable has exploded. Their engineers are currently on site assessing the damage. At this stage we have no estimated time for restoration.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #369 on: November 06, 2014, 07:15:39 pm »
LATEST UPDATE: Openreach have advised that this issue is due to a major incident where a mains electricity cable has exploded. Their engineers are currently on site assessing the damage. At this stage we have no estimated time for restoration.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/hundreds-rhos-sea-left-no-8064366

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #370 on: November 07, 2014, 07:20:00 am »
If your internet isn't working please send me an e mail!

Apart from the obvious point of using the 'phone networks, because of the way in which email packets are transmitted they can often get through, even when there are major issues affecting broadband in any area. In this case, however, it does seem as though the entire cabling structure was cut.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #371 on: December 11, 2014, 04:59:57 pm »
Staff at a Rhos on Sea nursing home were given loans of petty cash before it closed to put food on their own table after a litany of issues with wages.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/closed-rhos-sea-care-staff-8271191

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #372 on: January 27, 2015, 12:08:01 pm »
This website details plans to revamp the Prom area at Rhos On Sea:
http://www.princemadocproject.org

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #373 on: February 06, 2015, 09:19:52 pm »
Work seemed to be on the go this morning at Aberhod , men were putting support pieces for the roof. There appear also to have been a lot of excavations at the rear of the building
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #374 on: February 10, 2015, 04:31:25 pm »
I've just looked out of the window and there is quite a large ship just off Rhos Point.   It might be a marine survey vessel but I can't make it out with the binoculars