Author Topic: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea  (Read 326095 times)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Re: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea
« Reply #270 on: October 20, 2013, 09:22:38 pm »
   Hello Yorkie and thanks, but, no, this book was actually based in Rhos----I remember it describing one of these tunnels of which I have heard rumours all my life.  From the fireplace in Llys Euryn down to the monks fishing weir etc etc. Perhaps White Rabbit with her long standing connections with Rhos might have a clue.
   Of course, the author would certainly not be well known.  Morelikely someone who lived around Rhos, knocked the book up and somehow got a very limited number of copies published.  But thats just my guess  Mike   P.S. Genny and pump going fine

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #271 on: October 20, 2013, 09:28:04 pm »
Maybe The Castle of Adventure by Enid Blyton? ZXZ

Based on North Wales.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #272 on: October 21, 2013, 08:52:23 am »
Hi Mike. Hope you are OK. Have you tried going into the Archive Dept of Llandudno Library in Lloyd Street and asking. It may be out of their range of knowledge, but they may be able to put you in touch with someone who will know. I will ask around, as I have a friend with a very knowledgeable friend !!!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Welshmaid

« Reply #273 on: October 21, 2013, 01:01:39 pm »
Welshmaid to the rescue Ormegolf!!   The book is 'A Welsh Courtship'  by Fred W. West OBE and it was published in 1930.
As you say, references to Bryn Euryn, The Ship pub on Tan-y-Bryn Road etc etc. 

Offline white rabbit

• I'm late, I'm late!
« Reply #274 on: October 21, 2013, 07:57:57 pm »
Sorry I couldn't help Mike but looks like Welshmaid has the answer for you

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #275 on: October 21, 2013, 11:02:15 pm »
     Thanks very much Welshmaid.     Delighted to hear from you in the forum once again.  Mike

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #276 on: October 22, 2013, 08:11:21 pm »
   I am sure Welshmaid will not mind me writing this. She is a lady who obviously follows the forum but only very rarely writes anything.

Thats O.K.   A lot of the prolific writers maybe write too much, but less of that, we all keep the forum going.

But I think I must mention that it is partially through Welshmaid that I am a member.

In the old forum back around four years ago I stumbled around the site and found a writer asking if anyone remembered Madam Elliott in Rhos.  I most certainly did, and I replied straight away.

I then very swiftly realised that this mystery Welshmaid knew one hell of a lot about the postwar period in Rhos.

I soon realised who she was. I have known her since she was about one or two years old---I'm not going to tell you when that was. Far be it for me to disclose a ladies age   Mike    But thanks very much W M for info about the book

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #277 on: October 22, 2013, 08:50:28 pm »
   Just spent the last hour or so on the net trying to trace this book. Amazon know about it, but out of stock.

The reason I write now is the extraordinary difference in character between two men with the same name --- three if you include the Fred West OBE that Welshmaid gives as the author.

One Fred West, for a START he was awarded the V.C.in 1918, lost a leg, but managed to climb the ranks during the wars, became an Air Commodour in the R.A.F. had many other awards. Fought again right through the 39-45 war. But no connection at all with Rhos on Sea.

Second, a more recent Fred West. Murderer of the most horrible sort.  I won't bother to write more.  Thank God he never set foot in Rhos.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #278 on: October 22, 2013, 09:43:30 pm »
Hi Mike
I have done a good search for this book, including some top U S book sellers and have come up against a blank wall.  The book must exist somewhere but as it was printed in 1930 the print run was probably rather small.  I will try again tomorrow with some other sources and see if I can get a copy for you.
 ££$

This is a review published in 1931.

'A Welsh Courtship.' By Fred W.
West. London: Jarrold's. — Silas
Brown, a bluff middle-aged English
man, suddenly appears in North Wales
at the time when supporters of the
Pretender were most active. His
mission was to unmask a suspected
plot against the Crown. The plot
is developed amid all the romance of
a picturesque country, with many
thrilling adventures and humorous in
terludes. Lovers of Wales and her
quaint old-fashioned customs will find
a special pleasure in this delightful
story. ?

Cicero

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #279 on: October 22, 2013, 10:49:04 pm »
  Thanks Yorkie.    Amazon list it but say its out of stock and they don't know if or when it might be back. Otherwise Ive had no joy. Mike

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #280 on: October 23, 2013, 08:49:55 am »
Barnes and Noble in the US normally can get such rareties but even their computer said, "No!"    :D

You could go to www.abebooks.co.uk and create a WANT, they will then try to find it for you and also auto check their lists of books coming in, new or second hand.
Cicero

Offline mull

• Management board member
« Reply #281 on: October 23, 2013, 11:06:56 am »
We will keep a lookout for it up here.
My wife and I have run a bookstall for the RNLI in our garage for the past 14 years and we get books donated from all over the UK by regular visitors.
Just the sort of book that could turn up if someone is doing a house clearance.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #282 on: October 23, 2013, 01:40:52 pm »
Sorry to say, that despite almost wearing out my iPad this morning, my search has resulted in a total blank!  It must be as rare as hen's teeth.   I will keep it in mind and, one never knows, it may just turn up.    ;)
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #283 on: November 15, 2013, 11:55:00 am »
The Surf Shop on Rhos Prom by Ninos has closed down.

Offline nwpo

« Reply #284 on: November 18, 2013, 11:52:38 am »
The Surf Shop on Rhos Prom by Ninos has closed down.

Always sad to see a business close, but if they can't make it work in an area where I've seen surfers, what hope have they got of making any money in Dolgarrog at Surf Snowdonia?