Author Topic: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea  (Read 321250 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: Everything to do with Rhos On Sea
« Reply #135 on: June 06, 2011, 01:54:46 pm »
What was interesting about the Three Castles Rally was that from the entry list, I only noticed one entry was from Wales and that was from Wrexham.

The trouble is it costs a fortune to enter, over £2000  :o :o  I'd love to enter our Spitfire but  I'm not paying anything approaching that!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #136 on: June 06, 2011, 04:54:56 pm »
£2000 to enter and they cannot afford to employ the services and experience of Ian Turner as their compere.  :o

What on earth is the world coming to.  _))*

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #137 on: June 06, 2011, 04:58:37 pm »
So much for the Three Castles Rally - what about a Three Towns Rally?    $walesflag$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Waffagolf

« Reply #138 on: June 06, 2011, 05:31:31 pm »
How about this for an idea in relation to local cars and helping a good cause.

There are a great deal of Prestige, Classic, Vintage & Veteran vehicles in this area. I believe there is even a real Formula 1 car in Llandudno. How about having a display of all such cars, but don't link them neccessarily with any car club, on say, Llandudno Promenade on a Saturday. There could be Millions of pounds worth all lined up in the sunshine.

In the afternoon, possibly in either The Imperial or St Geoege's Hotel, there could be an auction of seats in each vehicle, which will take part in a rally on the Sunday, starting and finishing on the prom. People could bid to sit in the passenger seat, or Dickie seat, or maybe even get to drive their dream motor car on the rally. I'm sure there are many people who would pay several hundred pounds to ride in a ltd edition Ferari or Veteran Rolls Royce. On the Saturday night there could be a gala dinner for car owners etc. in one of the hotels with an auction of, well, whatever really.

On both days a collection could be made on the prom, with proceeds being split between St David's Hospice & Ty Gobaith Children's Respite Hospice. There's no reason why £30k plus couldn't be raised in all.

There's loads of people with magnificent cars from all eras in our area that I'm sure would help. Local garages could sponsor the event, have stands on the prom (I know it's all weather permitting, but if you don't try). Imagine a stream of magnificent cars rallying through all three towns nose to tail, what a sight. How about it's called "The Three Towns Hospice Car Rally". Something like that???

Offline Trojan

« Reply #139 on: June 07, 2011, 06:41:16 pm »
On the Saturday night there could be a gala dinner for car owners etc. in one of the hotels with an auction of, well, whatever really.

Maybe a disco afterwards......Ian Turner could be the DJ.  :)

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #140 on: June 07, 2011, 06:48:05 pm »
How about this for an idea in relation to local cars and helping a good cause.

There are a great deal of Prestige, Classic, Vintage & Veteran vehicles in this area. I believe there is even a real Formula 1 car in Llandudno. How about having a display of all such cars, but don't link them neccessarily with any car club, on say, Llandudno Promenade on a Saturday. There could be Millions of pounds worth all lined up in the sunshine.

In the afternoon, possibly in either The Imperial or St Geoege's Hotel, there could be an auction of seats in each vehicle, which will take part in a rally on the Sunday, starting and finishing on the prom. People could bid to sit in the passenger seat, or Dickie seat, or maybe even get to drive their dream motor car on the rally. I'm sure there are many people who would pay several hundred pounds to ride in a ltd edition Ferari or Veteran Rolls Royce. On the Saturday night there could be a gala dinner for car owners etc. in one of the hotels with an auction of, well, whatever really.

On both days a collection could be made on the prom, with proceeds being split between St David's Hospice & Ty Gobaith Children's Respite Hospice. There's no reason why £30k plus couldn't be raised in all.

There's loads of people with magnificent cars from all eras in our area that I'm sure would help. Local garages could sponsor the event, have stands on the prom (I know it's all weather permitting, but if you don't try). Imagine a stream of magnificent cars rallying through all three towns nose to tail, what a sight. How about it's called "The Three Towns Hospice Car Rally". Something like that???

I would be willing to give a hand with this.
Cicero

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #141 on: June 07, 2011, 09:08:08 pm »
Going back at least 20 posts (I wonder when Rhos last had 20 posts in a day) to Waffagolfs post about St Mars College. Was this in Abbey Road about half way along on the right going towards Penrhyn Bay?  If so, I was a pupil there when it was titled Rhos Preparatey School, around 1939/40. My memories of it were not too happy, I do remembera teacher making fun of me before the class because I couldnt pronounce "R" correctly and also had a slight lisp. I had to say "Ragged Robins running aRound RuRal Races" in front of the class. Not nice. I grew out of it without any mental scars, I think. And also "Thirty Thousand thrushes" etc etc

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #142 on: June 07, 2011, 09:20:28 pm »
That's the one, Mike. Now a small housing estate called The Cloisters.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #143 on: June 10, 2011, 01:40:41 pm »
Whilst walking by Aberhod earlier, I noticed that another load of flowerbeds had been grassed over by CCBC. They really seemed determined to cut back on anything that might attract people to the area.   $angry$
Weekly News have just caught up with this story, several weeks later:
http://www.northwalesweeklynews.co.uk/conwy-county-news/local-conwy-news/2011/06/09/council-grass-over-rhos-on-sea-flowers-55243-28845179/

HOTELIERS are furious flower beds have been grassed over in Rhos-on-Sea. Conwy’s parks department grassed over the attractive flower beds on the Cayley Embankment in a cost-cutting measure which hotel owners say could damage tourism. The beds opposite the Plas Rhos Hotel and the Whitehall Hotel have long been a popular feature but have now been grassed over, leaving one solitary display.

For sheer hilarity value, I include this bit:

Peter Barton Price is the parks manager for Conwy County Council and claimed the removal was part of moving flower beds to more “prominent positions”. “It is one of the many ways that we’re enhancing areas around Rhos-on-Sea and Colwyn Bay.

More prominent than the Promenade? Enhancing areas by removing flower displays?  :laugh:

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #144 on: June 10, 2011, 03:24:23 pm »
I wonder if this is the same person who 'enhanced' the large 'LLANDUDNO' at the bottom of Happy Valley by filling in the letters with concrete?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Waffagolf

« Reply #145 on: June 28, 2011, 11:58:02 am »
Just to let everyone know. The Conwy Valley Vintage Vehicle Rally will finish on the promenade directly opposite Venue Cymru THIS Sunday 3rd July 2011. Motor cycles and cars should be arriving there from around 2.15pm to assemble for the 3pm prize giving. All welcome. The event is FREE to attend, and there will be some magnificent pre-1972 vehicles to see.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #146 on: June 28, 2011, 09:57:27 pm »
Has this rally got a special connection with Rhos as its in this section?

Waffagolf

« Reply #147 on: June 29, 2011, 05:29:03 pm »
Ormegolf may like to go back a few posts whereby the connection will hopefully be made.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #148 on: June 29, 2011, 09:31:47 pm »
Just wasted about ten minutes of my life going back. through about 60 or so posts. I got to one about a car smash in Rhos. Is this the connection? if so, its a bit vague

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #149 on: June 30, 2011, 08:17:08 am »
I think you two should settle the matter with a 9 holes on the local golf course.  Drivers at 7 so to speak!    :D
Cicero