Author Topic: Llandudno's Original 1858 Pier  (Read 2641 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Llandudno's Original 1858 Pier
« on: October 20, 2010, 06:11:10 pm »
This is probably only of much interest to Fester and myself but here's a pic of the rocks by the present Pier that shows the remnants of the original 1858 Pier. The top red box is where the pier joined the land, the middle and bottom red boxes indicate where the piles were connected to the rocks/beach, with the remains of the piles themselves being shown by the white boxes. There is a small section of carved masonry connecting the two piles in the middle box.

Funny how you never notice these things until you look for them.  $good$

[smg id=794]

[smg id=535]

Offline Trojan

Re: Llandudno's Original 1858 Pier
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 06:56:48 pm »
I find that  *&(

I've seen that area located in the top box many times before, and never gave it a second thought.

$3towns$

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 09:52:05 pm »
Don't forget Dave,  there are somewhat more impressive remnants of the square wooden posts that supported the Pier.

We spotted at least 4 of them at low tide last week, under the current Pier...   hopefully we can spot more in future,  and you can capture some clear pictures of them for publication on here.

They have been under water for approx 152 years,  but still very visible ... when you know what to look for.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Trojan

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 09:20:50 pm »
Looking at these and also Dave's photo above, the original pier appeared much higher than today's.