Author Topic: Any old photos of Craig y Don  (Read 3445 times)

Offline andyCYD

Any old photos of Craig y Don
« on: May 02, 2013, 09:11:46 pm »
The Friends of Queens Park Craig y Don are hoping to receive grant money to restore the park's entrance to its original glory. We would like to replace the metal railings but have no information about the original design. Does anyone have any old photos or drawings?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 07:21:05 am by Ian »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Anyold photos of Craig y Don
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 09:18:10 pm »
I just had a search through my postcard collection but there's nothing that shows the railings, unfortunately.  :(

Offline sam

Re: Anyold photos of Craig y Don
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 11:25:39 pm »
How far back were the railings replaced? My taid used to be a gardener there many years ago before he became head gardener in Haulfre Gardens. This would have been around the 50's I think - might be able to get a photo if there are any of him working there. Unfortunately he is no longer with us or I could have asked him.

Offline andyCYD

Re: Any old photos of Craig y Don
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 08:00:50 am »
Dave
Are there any old photos of the park in your collection? We only have a couple.

Sam
The information we have is that the land was assigned to become a park in 1925. It may have taken a number of years to be created, but it was supposedly made in "Victorian style." There clearly were railings at some point, but were probably removed as part of the war effort in WWII. We have been told they were taken down in 1942.
It is unlikely there would have been railings when your Taid worked in the park. But any photos you can find from the 50's would be great.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 08:04:14 am »
I'm sure you've probably seen them before, there are a couple more but nothing particularly fascinating:

[smg id=1266]

[smg id=1267]

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 10:57:49 am »
Perhaps John Lawson-Reay or Christopher Draper could help you?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 03:48:16 pm »

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 09:59:27 pm »
  Sam mentions the Head Gardener in Haulfre Gardens. My goodness we are definitely talking about a different age. Haulfre Grdens would appreciate any old gardener--never mind a head gardener

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 08:52:16 am »
  Sam mentions the Head Gardener in Haulfre Gardens. My goodness we are definitely talking about a different age. Haulfre Grdens would appreciate any old gardener--never mind a head gardener
That's certainly true, Mike, it's looking so neglected now.  :(

Offline sam

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 03:38:42 pm »
Andy- I'll have a look through our family albums and see if I can find anything. Good luck with the restoration - hope you find the information you're looking for. Regarding Haulfre Gardens - yes it is looking rather shabby these days. Bits of it have been disappearing along the years such as the Edwardian hothouse and some of the shelters.  Even the little RSPA water trough  which people used to let their dogs drink from has gone  :( My taid loved his job and took great pride in his work- if I could have his job now I would jump at the chance to follow in his footsteps. I love the fact that the original iron chairs and tables in the cafe are still there - they used to be painted black and yellow in the 80's when I was a kid. Much of my childhood was spent roaming in those gardens as my taid and his family lived in the flat above the Sunshine Cafe - it's a very special place for me. $walesflag$

Offline mollie

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 10:33:49 am »
My grandad Frank McKeown was also a gardener in Haulfre Gardens and the Happy Valley, he also loved his job.  He sadly died in 1980 and the family had a bench put in the Valley with a little plaque with his name and how he spent many happy hours working there. 

Online Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 12:52:30 pm »
That's a lovely thought and an appropriate tribute to your Grandad Mollie.   By the way, did he live in Ffordd Dewi?