Author Topic: The great flood  (Read 71506 times)

Offline Essien

Re: The great flood
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 08:42:40 pm »
I remember sitting in my taxi on the rank on Gloddaeth one night, I seem to think it was 1989 when the sewer drains started popping , I've never seen so many Rats coming out and running every where. There were thousands of them. 

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 09:41:08 pm »
Off Trinity Avenue, West Shore. Courtesy of forum member Suepp

It's actually the little road at the far end of Jubilee street

It's not the Albion St end, Thorp St?
Thorpe street yes

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 08:43:59 pm »
Conwy Quay Flood in 1993:
[smg id=1052]

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 08:45:37 pm »
Marine Drive after the floods 1993:
[smg id=1053]

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 08:47:40 pm »
The BP garage in Llandudno Junction (bottom of the hill) after the 1993 floods. The water was 15 feet deep here.

[smg id=1054]

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 08:49:15 pm »
Gyffin, Conwy, in the 1993 floods:

[smg id=1055]

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2010, 08:51:35 pm »
[smg id=1056]

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2010, 08:52:16 pm »
[smg id=1057]

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2010, 08:53:54 pm »
Colwyn Bay (Mochdre?) in the 1993 Floods:
[smg id=1058]

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2010, 10:03:16 pm »
I know its a bit late now, but on Nov 8th Dave asked "What did you do" in this thread, addressed to me. I've only just come across it. In case anyone thinks Ive dodged answering it,  I, along with 35 other worthy individuals, was presented with a certificate thanking us for services to the communities of Towyn and Kinmel Bay in their hours of need, i.e. the flood of Feb 1990. That day I happened to be in Towyn, it was my youngest daughters first day in a nursery school. The wind was howling, it had been for six days, the tide was well over the seawall (not unusual, it had happened only about 10 days before) but this time was different, it got over the main road and then there was nothing to stop it for literally miles. I owned seven coaches and three cars, all except one caught in the flood (the exception was in Chester. It had broken down!!!). From midday I was involved in evacuating residents, many elderly, the largest peacetime evacuation in the U.K. ever. Three days and nights, nonstop, I drove the one coach which was still capable of moving. Me and my bus were commandeered by the Police, so all driving hoursregulations went out of the window. Mike

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2010, 09:14:41 am »
The BP garage in Llandudno Junction (bottom of the hill) after the 1993 floods. The water was 15 feet deep here.

[smg id=1054]

DaveR, I thought you may like a before to go with your after.

BTW, that black line down the middle is a lamp post and its shadow and not my poor photography.

I had just got back from London by train and managed to get a water taxi over to the Killer by David 'Mogsy' Williams from the North Wales Fire Service about 8pm.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 09:20:59 am by Bri Roberts »

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2010, 07:59:35 pm »
Looking at this photo of by the junction station reminds me of one of my favourite soapbox subjects. Why I always maintain that the Towyn flood was much, much worse. First the salt in the water. Second, the length of time it was there. Where this photo was taken---I drove over this only 24 hours later and, although there was obvious signs of damage, there was virtually no water. In Towyn, there is a large surface water drainage culvert going into the Foryd river. Because the river is tidal, there are gates and a pumping station to help the water out. Unfortunately, powered by electric. Unfortunately, flooded. i.e. no elec, no pumps. Worse. About ten years before Welsh Water had a very large project to protect the whole Towyn/KB area from flash rainwater flooding (which happened in 1971). They constructed a bund the whole way from the Foryd all the way to Abergele at EXACTLY the same height alongside the river Gele (just a stream normally) so that is the stream flooded, and the tide was in, there was a large capacity available to store the water. Most unfortunately the towyn flood came from the breached seawall, raced inland for up to two miles and then came up against the bund---but on the wrong side. So it was well and truly trapped. And that was where it stayed for five days and nights at up to six feet deep, from Monday midday to around Saturday morning. Mike

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2010, 08:34:12 pm »
DaveR, I thought you may like a before to go with your after.

BTW, that black line down the middle is a lamp post and its shadow and not my poor photography.

I had just got back from London by train and managed to get a water taxi over to the Killer by David 'Mogsy' Williams from the North Wales Fire Service about 8pm.
Great photo, Bri! I'm sure I've asked you before but do you have any others from that day?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2010, 08:35:11 pm »
I know its a bit late now, but on Nov 8th Dave asked "What did you do" in this thread, addressed to me. I've only just come across it. In case anyone thinks Ive dodged answering it,  I, along with 35 other worthy individuals, was presented with a certificate thanking us for services to the communities of Towyn and Kinmel Bay in their hours of need, i.e. the flood of Feb 1990. That day I happened to be in Towyn, it was my youngest daughters first day in a nursery school. The wind was howling, it had been for six days, the tide was well over the seawall (not unusual, it had happened only about 10 days before) but this time was different, it got over the main road and then there was nothing to stop it for literally miles. I owned seven coaches and three cars, all except one caught in the flood (the exception was in Chester. It had broken down!!!). From midday I was involved in evacuating residents, many elderly, the largest peacetime evacuation in the U.K. ever. Three days and nights, nonstop, I drove the one coach which was still capable of moving. Me and my bus were commandeered by the Police, so all driving hoursregulations went out of the window. Mike
Proud of you, Mike!  $good$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2010, 08:39:30 pm »
Colwyn Bay (Mochdre?) in the 1993 Floods:
[smg id=1058]
Looking at this one a little more closely, it's apparent it's Chapel Street in Mochdre. Here's a Google Streetview of it from such the same angle looking rather drier:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 08:42:31 pm by DaveR »