Author Topic: The great flood  (Read 73446 times)

Offline Trojan

Re: The great flood
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2011, 03:10:41 pm »
Our ex neighbours had no damage but managed to convince the insurance chap that they had mainly by pulling wall paper off the walls. They got thousands!

And it is that type of fraud that increases the Insurance Premiums for the rest of us!   $angry$

That happened a lot after the flood. It was the first time I saw people using a hosepipe inside their house.

It was interesting to see various building and decorating "firms" spring up also.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2011, 10:04:33 pm »

That happened a lot after the flood. It was the first time I saw people using a hosepipe inside their house.

L0L L0L L0L
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2011, 10:28:47 pm »
someone I know kitted out their kitchen with perfectly good units thrown out after the floods!

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2011, 10:46:35 pm »
someone I know kitted out their kitchen with perfectly good units thrown out after the floods!

Now that's proper recycling  $good$  If we had a flood now there would be thousands of plastic recycling boxes floating everywhere!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2011, 04:55:32 pm »
From the Llandudno AdvertiserJune 11th 1993

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2011, 04:59:37 pm »

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2011, 05:01:26 pm »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2011, 05:13:11 pm »
Good work, Suepp.   $good$

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2011, 05:39:06 pm »
That white boat (top right) captained by fireman David ‘Mogsy’ Williams was the same boat that ferried me from the railway station at Llandudno Junction over to the car park of the Station Hotel when I arrived back from London.

Waffagolf

« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2011, 06:17:33 pm »
Regarding the Towyn Floods. Those who suffered were given £15.00 per person to help them get by. People had to form a queue to get their £15.00. Many realised they could go round again and pick up another £15.00, which they did.

Regarding the 1993 floods in Llandudno. One insurance assessor told me that during his visit to one estate in the town, he saw the same three piece suite 7 times. He also said that he was amazed looking at the claims, that at the time of the Llandudno floods there had been no rubber backed carpet anywhere, it was all Wilton.

The DHS actually ran out of money too, and had to call upon funds from other locations. One family who had not been insured were paid £1,600 so they could replace their white goods, sofa etc. Two weeks later they went back and asked for money to replace the same items they had already been given money for. When reminded that they had already had the money, the mother replied, the kids were so distraught at the experience, they took them away for 2 weeks holiday with the money. Wait for it....Yes, you guessed it....The DHS gave them the same amount of money again....I kid you not.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2011, 06:45:06 pm »
And all those who criticise the Freemasons may be interested to know that they were one of the first, if not the first, to make a massive donation to the relief fund.   :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Waffagolf

« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2011, 07:03:02 pm »
Yorkie is quite right. If I remember correctly, the Freemasons very quietly gave the first major donation to the Towyn Relief Fund of some £10,000. Fantasic!

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2011, 08:23:02 pm »
Well I was at the centre of the Towyn flood and know all about it as well if not better than anyone else---and its the first I have ever heard about any £15 giveaways and any donation from the Freemasons. I agree I might not have heard about the Freemasons but it is highly unlikely I wouldnt have known about the £15. If I had had the time I would have been first in the queue

Waffagolf

« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2011, 09:00:29 pm »
One of my best friends is a member of an extremely well known international charity, and he was there at the time (Boddlewyddan Castle I think) helping the Mayor hand out the cash.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2011, 11:07:36 pm »
And all those who criticise the Freemasons may be interested to know that they were one of the first, if not the first, to make a massive donation to the relief fund.   :D

But obviously, they don't like to make a big thing of it...  WWW WWW
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -