Author Topic: The great flood  (Read 73199 times)

Offline Trojan

Re: The great flood
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2011, 09:20:06 pm »
but it wouldn't have been safe for me to stay there by
myself.

Especially when you had lost your teddy.  8)

Offline Trojan

« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2011, 09:21:57 pm »
Here's another one:
http://www.itnsource.com/shotlist//ITN/1993/06/15/BSP150693022/?s=llandudno&st=0&pn=2

So many people were not insured - crazy. Contents Insurance isn't expensive.

There was quite a bit of structural damage too. Floor-boards had to be replaced, walls had to be re-plastered etc.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2011, 11:30:20 pm »
Sorry about this, Dave, but you have touched on a sore point---one of my hobby horses. Contents insurance. Actually probably all insurance. And the small print that goes into every policy. My own experience in Towyn/Kinmel Bay. In K Bay I had around nine commercial vehicles all ins 3rd party fire and theft. You've guessed it, no flood cover. Also a workshop and expensive equipment inside. No insurance because it was refused because of a flood danger, from a flash flood on the land, nothing to do with the sea. Never mind, I had my house in Towyn, well insured. I thought. Just one (of many) incedents when it came to the nitty, gritty matter of paying out. I had a nice, matching carpet in the hall, stairs and upstairs landing. Just by coincedence I happened to be in my house when the water started to seriously rise. So I grabbed the carpet and bundled it up around six or eight stairs out of harms way, but in the confusion later on that day it got kicked and it rolled down into the salt water. Ruined. So, months later, it came to the interview with insurers. Item:- new carpet, around £500. Oh, no, says the man. You've had it for 15 years, well used. Me: No, it was brand new, I only bought it six months ago. Man: you did'nt tell us. Me: I did'nt know I had to. Man: Oh, yes. Any single item worth more than 15 percent of the total value of contents has to be informed. See the small print. Where is my red pencil to delete this £500. End of story.  P.S. And there were many, many similar ways in which the insurance worm managed to wriggle off the claimants hook.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2011, 07:28:05 am »
It's true insurance conditions can be extraordinarily tricky to meet, and never more so than now. There are a couple of ways around the problem, however. One is to ensure you get insurance only from one of the Which? recommended providers, but policies these days tend to have a much longer list of exclusions than cover, so it's also important to have policies that have the Plain English Crystal Mark on their products. The biggest issue is potential flooding: the environment agency's flood risk map means that few, if any, insurers will offer insurance for those areas, even if your home has never been flooded in its existence

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2012, 08:52:02 am »
Today is the 19th anniversary of those terrible floods of the 10 June 1993.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2012, 12:33:56 pm »
I remember it well. I was working at Barclays in Mostyn Street. Water poured into the premises from the rear quickly flooding the basements and strongroom areas. Electrics and gas central heating boiler down there and they were quickly submerged. Needless to say the branch was closed for a few days and the aftermath was felt (and smelt) for some time after.

While that was happening at the Bank, our then home off Gloddaeth Avenue was being affected too. 

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2012, 02:47:49 pm »
I was driving for Crosville at the time and had finished my early shift but had agreed to a bit of overtime to earn a few extra pennies. I ended up stuck at the fire station in Conwy heading for the Morfa but the road was flooded. The garage on the left had some used cars for sale on the forecourt and the field leading to it was flooding badly, the water building up behind the wall, when it suddenly burst through and the deluge took four of the cars with it. Seeing them floating off down to the Morfa complete with their 'For Sale' signs flapping away on top made me realise my job was done for the day so I turned back for the depot.
I couldn't reach the depot because that was flooded too so I drove home in the bus, luckily I was only in one of the small minibuses, and planned to return early the next morning after the waters had subsided. I lived up the Orme at the time so there were no flooding worries there but the drive home was quite an eye opener as I picked my way through the streets and saw all the poorly affected people in places like Council Street trying to save what little they had left.
The next morning when I got to work I found out most of the drivers had also taken their buses home too so after the initial chaos sorting out the fleet they had an 80/90% of services running by mid morning and only one vehicle in the fleet had been affected as it was the only vehicle in the depot at the time. Had it happened in the middle of the night they would have probably lost the whole fleet as the depot had been under a few feet of water!
Valar Morghulis

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2013, 10:05:46 pm »
The 10th June 2013 will be the 20th anniversary.

Twenty years has certainly flown by !!

Offline Trojan

« Reply #83 on: June 10, 2013, 10:32:34 am »
But the memories keep flooding back.  :-X

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #84 on: June 10, 2013, 10:58:24 am »
They sure do.

I can still remember our youngest, at four years of age, sitting upstairs on a window sill and asking;

"Dad, will it be like this forever?"

When are you home next, Trojan?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: June 10, 2013, 11:20:46 am »
Amazing to think it was 20 years ago....

Offline Trojan

« Reply #86 on: June 10, 2013, 12:07:26 pm »
They sure do.

I can still remember our youngest, at four years of age, sitting upstairs on a window sill and asking;

"Dad, will it be like this forever?"

When are you home next, Trojan?

I expect it dampened your bowling Bri.

No plans to come home as yet. Will let you know when I do.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #87 on: June 12, 2013, 11:11:33 pm »
Trojan is very mercurial, when he returns he does not announce it...

..instead, he reappears mysteriously like the shopkeeper on Mr Benn, (eh mate?  :laugh:)
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #88 on: June 10, 2014, 09:56:30 am »
Today is the 21st Anniversary of the floods of 10 June 1993.

Offline dwsi

« Reply #89 on: June 10, 2014, 01:21:42 pm »
I noticed during yesterdays rain that many drain grids were full to the top with muck and some too far from the kerb to drain the water. If the council doesn't clean and maintain the drains, the 1993 floods will happen again.