Author Topic: Pensarn Farm Llangystenin Conwy  (Read 126435 times)

Offline anneelaine

Re: Pensarn Farm Llangystenin Conwy
« Reply #165 on: September 12, 2013, 10:32:40 pm »
Thanks Hugo I don't have Ancestry i can see things and cannot do anythink :rage:
Anneelaine

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #166 on: September 12, 2013, 11:18:42 pm »
Don't worry, mine is by trial and error too.   Let's hope that there are not too many Owen Davies'  b1859 in that area.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #167 on: September 13, 2013, 12:40:00 am »
Hi, there is one Owen Davies b 1859 Llansantffraid  on the 1861 census his  family are
 Hugh Davies    34 Ag Lab
Catherine Davies    27
Edward Davies    9
Mary Davies    6
Hugh Davies    4
Owen Davies    2
Anne Davies    3/12
Catherine Davies    3/12
The address is   (what looks like) Brynrodyn, Tre Trallwyn Caernarvonshire -

1871 a farm servant at Maesydd  (?)  Glan Conwy - not with his family, working as a Farm Servant at the age of 12

In 1881 at Mardir (?) farm listed as a joiner unmarried

In 1891 at Rectory Cottage Trefriw listed as a Saer (joiner) with wife and family
Owen Davies    32
Cathrine Davies    32
Hugh Davies    8
Mary C Davies    6
Elizabeth E Davies    2
Jane A Davies    1

In 1901 at Bryn Rodyn Trefriw, occupation Wheelwright
Owen Davies    42
Catherine Davies    44
Hugh Davies    18
Mary C Davies    16
Elizabeth E Davies    13
Jane A Davies    11
Gwilym I Davies    8
Gertrude Davies    5
Thomas O Davies    3

Have not found anything for 1911

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #168 on: September 13, 2013, 01:10:14 am »
Incidentally there is a Pensarn and a Pensarn Gate listed in the same enumeration district as the Davies family in 1871

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #169 on: September 13, 2013, 01:44:35 am »
HI Could that mean it has Somethink to do with my family  :D
Thanks Anneelaine

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #170 on: September 13, 2013, 01:50:04 am »
suepp I think that's him Thank you so much   going to look into it now up all night again i think
 it's southwest of Bangor  $thanx$
Anneelaine

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #171 on: September 13, 2013, 11:12:02 pm »
 Hi
 I have been looking and asking again and it's still the big white house in the Junction and no Jane Anne Davies did not work in the house
 I asked if Jane had had a child in 1910 she said no says she was a very cleaver  girl and should have gone far,
 only had William in 1916,
 It was a family house .And my aunt had been to it many times before her marriage to my uncle in the 1940's  it's a good job that she cannot remember me asking her all the time about things ,    (she always says the same thing .
so maybe it's Catherine Davies family  ( Owen Davies wife )  Jane's mum family
 that had lived in the white house,?
  I do not know her maiden name  her Birth abt 1859/61 in Eglwysbach, Denbighshire, Wales
so will try and look into that know
Thanks
Anneelaine

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #172 on: March 28, 2014, 01:55:21 am »
Hi again Just found out to night  the farm at the top of the mountain the farmer was call Owen Jones, And also the farm at the bottom were
Jones to
 I think that farm would have been pensarn farm any help please
Anneelaine

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #173 on: April 23, 2014, 12:54:40 am »
Hi just found out today that Pensarn farm was my grandmother Jane Anne Rogerson nee Davies brothers farm but do not know who it is  yet
Hugh Davies  ? maybe

Gwilym I Davies  ?  "

Thomas O Davies  ?  "

at long last I have a name "

now the hard work any help please

Anneelaine

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #174 on: November 10, 2014, 04:13:51 am »
Hi I am back again just a few things
 HUGO  you said Having dug about a bit more, it looks to me as if Narrow Lane was at one time called Bryn Derw Lane.  Along the lane before you got to Waenfynydd was a farm called Bryn Derw Farm.  In 1939 it was occupied by a John Richard Davies. This lane starts from Conway Road roughly where Pensarn Farm was.  THIS SOUNDS RIGHT But  :rage:
 You know all I keep feeling was we were walking for ever and as you said Pensarn farm was  not that far from the  Conwy road how far was the Bryne Drew Farm if you were walking? I think we got of the train at the  Junction and pabo lane rings a bell But!!!so long ago

In answer to this we have been thinking at No time did we get told this was Pensarn farm!!! by my Dad but in are heads it was Mmmmm he had  just said it was his  cousins  farm and as we had never heard about any other farm at that age the date is 1967/68  as as far as we new it was Pensarn farm  I asked my sister and she said the same
                 Again it is Davies or Jones
so we were thinking could it have been Bryn Derw Farm
 Right  surname name  Davies we now have 2 names Davies or Jones no Rogerson because WBR had come from Dublin in about 1874 to Wales but WBR  are grandfather was born a round Bangor in 1877  but  worked on  that Pensarn farm and at one time lived on it. But are Auntie still says it was a Davies that had the big white house and says its still high up on the main road  by that pub she  told us  ZXZ
she was always at the house in the 1940's  But she is getting on a bit
Thanks Anneelaine
 D) HUGO i was just going up the roads to see if anything rings a bell and I saw   Tan Y Bryn Farm on top of the hill My uncle has a farm in Australia and he call it called Tan Y Bryn Farm!!!! he was my grandfather brother WBR he was Roger Rogerson  what do you think JUST SAYING

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #175 on: November 10, 2014, 04:52:14 am »
 :D been looking  at  tyn- y -bryn and its 2.1 mi  so would take about a hour to walk maybe thinking if the house was dark gray and very old looking without all the new bits on  it
 it could  look like the house we went to  what do you guys think D)
Anneelaine

Offline Hugo

« Reply #176 on: November 11, 2014, 01:11:33 pm »
Anneelaine,  It must be difficult for you looking for these old places especially with only your childhood memories to go on.  It must be about 50 years since you were there and apart from those memories there is little for me to go on, especially as that area around Pensarn has undergone many changes and major redevelopment.   A lot of the old properties have been pulled down or drastically altered over the years so they would now appear different to you.
I don't know that area around Pensarn at all otherwise I could use my local knowledge to help you but I would imagine that there are others on the forum who have that knowledge.
Just to go over things that you have mentioned already, Pensarn Farm is roughly about a mile along the main road from Llandudno Junction railway station.   Now Bryn Derw Farm would have been about a 15 minute walk away uphill from Pensarn Farm but I don't even know if the farm house is still there today.
You mention Tan Y Bryn Farm but the only one I know is the one up the hill in Bryn Pydew but it must be two miles from the Pensarn Farm and I know that in 1966 it was owned by a family called Hughes.  There could of course have been another farm called Tan Y Bryn in the Junction area.
You also mentioned a big white house that is still there on the main road and is near a pub but this is where I can't help you at all as I don't know the history of that area and someone who does may be able to help you.
What I have done today is to go to Llandudno Junction and taken photos of two old large white house on the main road in case they can jog your memory.   There may have been a pub nearby ( within 200 yards) but I can't remember it's name.
I have also taken a photo of Bryn Heulog an old white cottage in Narrow Lane but as I've said I don't know if Bryn Derw is still there

Offline Hugo

« Reply #177 on: November 12, 2014, 06:31:36 pm »
Anneelaine,  I sent an e-mail to a friend who lives in the Junction about Bryn Derw and the Davies connection and this is his reply which I hope will help in your search:-
"Thanks for your email re Bryn Derw farm the family who lived there were Davies`s but I don't remember who the  father was the son`s name was Bryn and he would be a few years older than me ,he married a girl from the West Shore her surname was Leech and they moved down to the   South East to farm .
Bryn was a paratrooper when he did his national service a tough lad but a very nice man ,his mother married one of the Jolliffs and they sold the farm land for building the original farm house is still there .
I have made a few enquires re the father it seems he was Gwilym , Thomas Davies appears to be Tommy Marl  ( farm ) I don't know if there is any connection family wise."

Offline Hugo

« Reply #178 on: November 13, 2014, 10:28:57 pm »
Anneelaine,  I have had another e-mail from my friend and this is his latest reply:-
"Re Bryn Derw farm I have had a word with my sister she remembers Bryn Davies attending chapel with his mother who was a widow at that time ,she later married a Mr Jolliff , she also thought that there was or is a connection between the Davies’s of Bryn Derw ,and the Davies’s of Marl Farm who I think still farm there "

Offline dwsi

« Reply #179 on: November 14, 2014, 01:30:51 pm »
Copies of Welsh tithe maps are now available online, this might help with your search http://cynefin.archiveswales.org.uk/