Author Topic: Pensarn Farm Llangystenin Conwy  (Read 125928 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Pensarn Farm Llangystenin Conwy
« Reply #135 on: June 05, 2013, 11:32:39 pm »
Anneelaine, if you look at Jane's death notice it showed her address as Bronallt Chapel Street Conwy and Ty Capel Carmel  ( Carmel Chapel House)  is only a couple of doors away.
It could be that they worked in the chapel and had the Chapel House as a condition of their employment.  William Bell died in 1940 aged 62 and he may have given up the tenancy of the farm by then but that's only a guess.

Just changing the subject a bit, have you got your Dad's war medals and the only reason I've mentioned that is because I haven't got my Dad's and I've recently applied for them.  Someone told me about applying and it was the first I knew that you could do such a thing.

If any of the Pabo Lane photos seems familiar let me know.

There is a local paper called the North Wales Weekly News and sometimes Obituaries are recorded in the paper.  It goes back many years and may record some info regarding William Bell and also Jane.  The Archives have copies of these newspapers

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #136 on: June 06, 2013, 12:17:42 am »
Hi Hugo I think William bell let the farm go in around 1926/27 because he had a new family going in Liverpool son born around 1928
 never got married again stayed married to my Gran
I have a address from Jane before she was married in Llandudno but I cannot make out looks like vietinia yard on her marriage docket  also two names Owen Owens and Annie Owens just found them in my dads bits& bats
I have not gone into before just keep in a gold box
looks like it says nc parish church llangystenin 
My son just took me up and down both roads Narrow Lane and Pabo Lane on  Google earth map its  so cool
  I feel more of a link to Narrow Lane do not ask me why as its all new
I sent email to my sister to take a look at the photos see what see says about the them
My dad left his medals to my older Son and my sister older child a girl had my mums Thanks
Going to take a look at the North Wales Weekly News now thanks
Anneelaine

Offline Hugo

« Reply #137 on: June 06, 2013, 07:25:50 am »
I'm glad that you went on google earth to see the street view. Going up Narrow Lane you come to a roundabout and go straight across it. Keep going uphill and after about 100 yards or so you turn right and go to Bryn Pydew.    If you had of carried on there instead of turning right you would have seen Marl Farm on your left.
It's really good watching Google Street view, it gets you to see places.
If the North Wales Weekly News isn't online don't worry I'll have a look next week if I can.
I wonder if that address was Victoria Yard?   Although I've never heard of it before there were a number of "yards" in Back Madoc Street years ago. 

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #138 on: June 06, 2013, 10:05:28 pm »
Hi maybe it is Victoria Yard cannot make  it  out at all
going to see what I can find out this weekend maybe my husband will take me to Llandudno this weekend to look around
Have a good weekend in this lovely sun
Anneelaine

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #139 on: June 06, 2013, 10:16:30 pm »
Victoria Yard was the name of one of the yards in Back Madoc Street.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #140 on: June 06, 2013, 10:31:51 pm »
Thanks Cambrian that's a really good find.   Back Madoc Street had loads of businesses going on in the old days.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #141 on: June 12, 2013, 06:23:46 pm »
I did have a look in the Archives in Llandudno today but couldn't find an Obituary notice in the North Wales Weekly News for either William Bell Rogerson d1940 or Jane Rogerson d 1961 sorry about that as it may have helped a bit.

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #142 on: June 13, 2013, 03:42:15 am »
Hi Hugo I have William Bell Rogerson Obituary notice in Liverpool well it just say death in Liverpool and his money went to Jane Ann Rogerson of £199.00 and not to who he was living with
Been trying to think the last few day But I am hitting a wall lol
 Got no were with my Aunt all she says now is the  white house is on the main road up a bit  meaning higher up then the road is that the Conwy road she say's it is still there and I am saying it gone to her
 &shake&
Going to see my other Aunt in the next few weeks she is :-X so going to be hard but if I ask about her mum she may tell me some think
I hope
 I now know she left pensarn farm age about 3 or 4 she cannot remember the farm only the home that they all went in.
Anneelaine

Offline Hugo

« Reply #143 on: June 13, 2013, 10:11:41 am »
I did try to find out more about Marl Hotel or Bron Heulog as it was also called , but had no luck in the Archives.   While Bron Heulog seems to fit the bill with its large staircase there is another large white house on that main road that is still there but I don't know the history of that house.
There was an article in the paper last year about Blodwell Home but it's in the 1950's

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #144 on: June 13, 2013, 05:53:23 pm »
Hi will try and find out a bit more when I go and see her
thanks for that Hugo

Offline Hugo

« Reply #145 on: June 15, 2013, 05:07:38 am »
Anneelaine,  I've been looking at Richard Williams Builders website and noticed that Bron Heulog or Marl Hotel was not demolished until 2004.    It was demolished to make way for the heavy goods yard that it has today, so your Aunt could have been right when she thought that it was still there as it is a fairly recent demolition.
I was hoping that there would be a photo of the old hotel so you could recognise it but sadly I can't find one at present.

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #146 on: June 16, 2013, 12:33:53 am »
Hugo that sound good  ;D can I find out who had it around 1940's 
thanks Anneelaine

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #147 on: June 16, 2013, 09:04:58 am »
There was a Samuel Owens at 2 Victoria Yard Back Madoc Street in 1929

Offline anneelaine

« Reply #148 on: June 16, 2013, 10:39:03 pm »
Hugo
 William bell Rogerson grave stone photo what do's it say at the bottom on the  grave after the William bell cannot make it out  Thanks
Anneelaine
Ps just looking again and I think it's the date  it's got his age 62

Offline Hugo

« Reply #149 on: June 17, 2013, 10:23:08 am »
It's written in Welsh and says "Fu farw  Chwefror 19  1940  yn 62 mywydd oed"
which in English means " he died February 19th  1940 aged 62"